Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/09/re...with-seahawks/

No word on compensation yet.

Unfortunately the only clear memory I have of this guy is him coming in icy cold off the bench for the 49ers and DJ eating him alive for a TD.

Also...how bad must Justin Layne stink if they have to go get this also-ran?

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

Re: Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Unfortunately the only clear memory I have of this guy is him coming in icy cold off the bench for the 49ers and DJ eating him alive for a TD.

A 2023 5th rounder...Plus Seattle paid a chunk of his salary

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think this secondary is going to be bad. Artie Burns/Brice McCain/Antwon Blake bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Fantastic measurables, plays outside...6'3" fast, great leaper,but can he play?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think this secondary is going to be bad. Artie Burns/Brice McCain/Antwon Blake bad.
    Now that was bad

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

superbowl!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Does he TikTok or do crate challenges?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Does he TikTok or do crate challenges?
    We can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    superbowl!
    He played in a Super Bowl.

Releasing Mondeaux?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

That is impossible!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think the Steelers must think highly of him for them to give up a 5 for him. That's pretty big value in today's trade economy.

- - - Updated - - -

Releasing Mondeaux?
    Yeah, forget Super Bowl!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This is an interesting move. He's an outside corner. This may kick Sutton into the slot, with Pierre and Witherspoon as big, outside corners.

Haden - Pierre/Witherspoon/Layne -Sutton with Minkah and Edmunds at safety. I don't think it will be as bad as some think. This move helps by adding a big, athletic corner that definitely adds quality depth with upside.

I don't mind this move if Sutton stays in the slot. I think that's where he is best suited and the position where he best helps the team.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I kind of like this move , low cost with potential good rewards at minimum its insurance ....

He is James Pierre Like with some experience , Seattle picking up part of the tab on the contract $$ ..

Ill take it
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

The real question is will he be as good as the last CB we had here from Colorado. The great Deon Figures ��

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This is an interesting move. He's an outside corner. This may kick Sutton into the slot, with Pierre and Witherspoon as big, outside corners.

Haden - Pierre/Witherspoon/Layne -Sutton with Minkah and Edmunds at safety. I don't think it will be as bad as some think. This move helps by adding a big, athletic corner that definitely adds quality depth with upside.

I don't mind this move if Sutton stays in the slot. I think that's where he is best suited and the position where he best helps the team.
    I feel like they are desperate right now. Maybe it’s just my pessimistic in-season side coming out…

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

None of his previous teams resigned him and Seattle sent him to the bench in favor of an unproven guy.

Somehow this all costs them a pick in 2022 for comp reasons AND a 2023 pick for the trade.

I hope they got it right.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

None of his previous teams resigned him and Seattle sent him to the bench in favor of an unproven guy.

Somehow this all costs them a pick in 2022 for comp reasons AND a 2023 pick for the trade.

I hope they got it right.
    actually he was relegated to backup and traded because of the Sydney Jones acquisition ...Jones was a highly regarded 1st round prospect until injury hit him and it took him time to get back and he still hasnt lived up to the original hype but he has all those tools and traits and looks to be fully healthy for the first time in his career , I think Seattle screwed up here but time will tell Jones health history wouldnt make me comfortable ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

actually he was relegated to backup and traded because of the Sydney Jones acquisition ...Jones was a highly regarded 1st round prospect until injury hit him and it took him time to get back and he still hasnt lived up to the original hype but he has all those tools and traits and looks to be fully healthy for the first time in his career , I think Seattle screwed up here but time will tell Jones health history wouldnt make me comfortable ...
    Their other starting corner is Reed. An injury reclamation from the 49ers. Either way...two teams see Witherspoon as not a starting caliber outside CB.

He seems too long to man the slot.

So a 2022 5th (because apparently Witherspoon cancels out the Feiler departure) and a 2023 5th as direct trade compensation. That's a decent price for a 4th CB.

He's a decent player but nothing to move the needle for me. Honestly, it's more of a condemnation of Justin Lsyne than anything else in my mind.

Their other starting corner is Reed. An injury reclamation from the 49ers. Either way...two teams see Witherspoon as not a starting caliber outside CB.

He seems too long to man the slot.

So a 2022 5th (because apparently Witherspoon cancels out the Feiler departure) and a 2023 5th as direct trade compensation. That's a decent price for a 4th CB.

He's a decent player but nothing to move the needle for me. Honestly, it's more of a condemnation of Justin Lsyne than anything else in my mind.

oh he is an outside corner for sure , as for Layne I gave up on him last year not sure why the steelers havent yet .....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think I will withhold condemnation and/or praise at this time. As of today I see backup talent being brought in with Joseph and Witherspoon. Brooks Jr was poached and Layne has not yet matured, the remaining depth is very young and inexperienced. I don't think these moves are for long term necessarily, but more instant upgrades to the present secondary. The DB room has gotten better this week.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

oh he is an outside corner for sure , as for Layne I gave up on him last year not sure why the steelers havent yet .....
    he had a few decent moments in camp / preseason, but yeah i wouldn't want that guy starting yet, maybe ever.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

1) A fifth round pick in 2023… is essentially nothing.

2) Three other teams tried to acquire Witherspoon.

3) According to PFF (so take it for what it’s worth):

2018: 4th WORST corner in the entire NFL
    2020: 5th BEST corner in the entire NFL

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

It is also likely going to cost them a fifth in 2022 by cancelling out Feiler in the comp formula.

That needs accounted for as well. They have zero picks in rounds 4-6 that draft year currently.

It is also likely going to cost them a fifth in 2022 by cancelling out Feiler in the comp formula.

That needs accounted for as well. They have zero picks in rounds 4-6 that draft year currently.
    2 fifth round picks (one of which may or may not actually be a pick) isn’t a lot to pay for a guy that has the potential to be the 5th best CB is the league. What are they going to lose? Zach Gentry? Marcus Allen? Brian Allen? Jesse James? Shaq Richardson? Chris Carter? Chris Rainey? I mean I’d probably give up 7 5th round picks on that gamble. 2002 was probably their most productive fifth round pick in the last 20 years as it was Verron Haynes. Maybe I missed someone? But if not, that list of 5th round picks is nothing but wasted roster spots with dogs with fleas. Wet dogs with fleas.

2 fifth round picks (one of which may or may not actually be a pick) isn’t a lot to pay for a guy that has the potential to be the 5th best CB is the league. What are they going to lose? Zach Gentry? Marcus Allen? Brian Allen? Jesse James? Shaq Richardson? Chris Carter? Chris Rainey? I mean I’d probably give up 7 5th round picks on that gamble. 2002 was probably their most productive fifth round pick in the last 20 years as it was Verron Haynes. Maybe I missed someone? But if not, that list of 5th round picks is nothing but wasted roster spots with dogs with fleas. Wet dogs with fleas.
    Wait. How have we gotten to Witherspoon being a 5th round draft pick that wasn't resigned for less than $5 million dollars by his original team, went to another team and was then benched and traded for what you are arguing isn't a high cost to being one of the 5 best corners in the league? You are going to have to walk me through that.

According to Over the Cap, who usually nail the comp pick stuff, Witherspoon means there will be no 5th round comp pick for Matt Feiler. This isn't some off the wall guess that may or may not happen. It is how the CBA works.

I feel that two fifth round picks (or if it makes everyone more comfortable with the comp stuff to say a 2022 6th and a 2023 5th) is a lot to give up for a 4th or 5th CB that has issues tackling in run support according to several places AND will not be a candidate to cover the slot. I don't think he plays special teams. So they got a faster version of Justin Layne with better hands that has what role on the team?

That is all I am asking. What does Witherspoon do for the 2021 Steelers? This feels like an "all in" move to solidify a high end playoff roster. Apparently Colbert and Company see themselves that way. I do not.

Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

See #3.

And again, the Steelers history drafting players in the 5th round is garbage. In hindsight abs based on history, to give up 7 5th round picks for the “upside” that Witherspoon has is not too much. The picks are pretty much a waste year in and year out anyway. If he turns out to be the 4th worst CB in the NFL, still worth the gamble as they don’t pick talented players with the 5th round pick. 20 years has proven that.

Your asking a message board of fans what their plans are for Witherspoon. I hope you know that not one of us would know what those plans are. Especially at this point in the off season so you probably should just throw that question away because there’s not an answer for that here…

See #3.

And again, the Steelers history drafting players in the 5th round is garbage. In hindsight abs based on history, to give up 7 5th round picks for the “upside” that Witherspoon has is not too much. The picks are pretty much a waste year in and year out anyway. If he turns out to be the 4th worst CB in the NFL, still worth the gamble as they don’t pick talented players with the 5th round pick. 20 years has proven that.

Your asking a message board of fans what their plans are for Witherspoon. I hope you know that not one of us would know what those plans are. Especially at this point in the off season so you probably should just throw that question away because there’s not an answer for that here…
    I don't see how anyone can reasonably by that Witherspoon was/is the fifth best CB in the NFL. He wasn't resigned by the Niners and then was benched and traded by the Seahawks. No one does that to the 15th best corner in the league - let alone the 5th.

As for the fans thing...you know the roster just as well as the guys who are paid to know the roster and write about it all across the internet. What role do you see for a guy that:
    1. Is up and down in his coverages.
    2. Doesn't move quick enough in short areas to play the slot
    3. Has issues in run support
    4. Isn't known for his blitzing
    5. Is likely the 3rd or 4th best outside CB on the roster behind Haden, Sutton, and Pierre.

Unless there is secret film of Witherspoon doing secret things -- it is reasonably well known what he is a player after 4 full seasons in the NFL. Unless he is going to flourish in the Steelers system because of some this thing or the other that no one has thought of yet or whatever...he is a back-up CB that cost 2 fifth round picks. That seems a bit steep to me for a team that is more than a back-up CB in 2021 away from hosting season ending parades.

Again, aside from Jesse James and Verron Haynes, there hasn’t been a redeemable 5th round pick in the last 20 years. They have been throw away picks for 20 years. Two more isn’t going to make or break this franchise. Even as a backup, you are getting a veteran at $1.5M. It’s not a terrible idea.

In 2020, 189 snaps, 12 catches on 24 targets for 155 yards and 2 TDs. Just one missed tackle. I’d take that for a back up guy and a 5th round pick or two given the history. At least it’s something productive.

As for the roster, we all know it. As for the tape, I doubt anyone has watched an in depth amount of tape on Witherspoon that is here. Even so, you still don’t know the plans and how they may use him. No one outside the organization knows that. Maybe he plays outside and bumps Cam inside. Are you really upset about having an extra experienced DB for two fifth round picks given the Steelers history in the past 20 years with that round?