Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Maulet was targeted 4 times vs Chicago. The play before the TD was a 3rd and 2, where Allen Robinson caught a 39 yard pass down the right sideline. That is the play where Haden plays the short zone and the slot is in an inverted Cover-3 responsibility. Its the same coverage where Norwood got beat early in the season vs Cincinnati I think and its a losing gamble to have the slot CB cover the WR on a go route.

So Maulet allowed 3 completions on 4 targets the entire game and its perceived as being "targeted over and over"?? One which a gamble defensive coverage on a 3rd and short that Fields read pre snap and exploited the Steelers gambling. Pre-concieved opinion for some reason.

Yeah, I think Maulet is a serviceable nickel CB. I also think he can be replaced. But I also think he is better than other guys they went out in free agency and got like Brice McCain, Antowan Blake, etc.
    Sure. But those plays appear to be designed to isolate and target the nickel CB when the Bears needed a critical completion. Just like the Browns attempted to do the same to Spillane last week.

We can argue over how many is too many targets or what is a gamble or not...the bottom line is that I think that you can always find a guy that provides the results of Maulet.

Plus the guys that you mention that didn't were brought in for the minimum in one off-season or another of capped out roster space. They have a chance this off-season, and moving forward, to remake a number of position groups if they wish.

I say keep Sutton and Minkah and Norwood. Make efforts to resign Witherspoon and Edmunds on the teams preferred contract terms. And the rest? I do not think the team is guaranteed to be significantly worse if they all were let go. Pierre, Maulet, and the rest. I guess Killebrew and Layne are key STs guys. If it were up to me, I would just remake the entire group.

Youth and speed would be my two goals. That group, overall is slow. Jamar Chase, Higgins, and Marquise Brown are not. And, like every team in the NFL, they could use some size/length in the group as well. Big ask to do that all at once...so maybe some of these guys stick around and it is a multi-year process. But if I was the Steelers I would not be tied to most of my secondary.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The secondary felt the loss of Mike Hilton for most of the season. Hilton was one of those quiet successes on defense, with a few splash plays mixed in.

Haden, Witherspoon, and Maulet may all get re-signed this offseason seeing how Colbert does not go into a draft with glaring holes. Same situation with Edmunds and Killebrew. What exactly is Marcus Allen's role?

I will be surprised if the Steelers don't also take advantage of this draft's CB class.

Worth taking a look at a Safety prospect out of PSU as well.

The team's secondary depth chart may look very different pre-draft vs TC.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sure. But those plays appear to be designed to isolate and target the nickel CB when the Bears needed a critical completion. Just like the Browns attempted to do the same to Spillane last week.

We can argue over how many is too many targets or what is a gamble or not...the bottom line is that I think that you can always find a guy that provides the results of Maulet.

When Matt Nagy signals in the play to Fields on 3rd down and 2, how does he know if the Steelers are playing :
    -man-to-man cover 1 coverage?
    -man-to man cover 0 coverage?
    -Cover 2, Man under coverage?
    -Cover 2, Corner blitz, replacement coverage?
    -Cover 3 zone?
    - Cover 3 cloud coverage?

You cant call a play designed to isolate the slot CB in deep zone coverage, if you dont know that he is going to be in Cover 3 cloud or not.

We can argue all day over play calling and number of targets, but its like we are arguing over who was a better chess player, Kasparov or Fisher and you are staying to "put X in the center square".
    -

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    When Matt Nagy signals in the play to Fields on 3rd down and 2, how does he know if the Steelers are playing :
    -man-to-man cover 1 coverage?
    -man-to man cover 0 coverage?
    -Cover 2, Man under coverage?
    -Cover 2, Corner blitz, replacement coverage?
    -Cover 3 zone?
    - Cover 3 cloud coverage?

You cant call a play designed to isolate the slot CB in deep zone coverage, if you dont know that he is going to be in Cover 3 cloud or not.

We can argue all day over play calling and number of targets, but its like we are arguing over who was a better chess player, Kasparov or Fisher and you are staying to "put X in the center square".
    -
    Nagy is gonna have some idea based on the film study he and the Bears staff did leading up to the game.

You want me to honestly believe that Nagy has no idea of how to get guys matched up to his advantage based on the Steelers tendencies? Really? Is he guaranteed to get the alignment/look he wants? Heck no. But he’s not just pulling crap out of hat. You’re argument would seem to be that NFL coaches are not able to force mismatches and are at the mercy of the fates. If that’s true, then why study film? Also, everything every announcer has ever said ever is basically a lie.

But if you want to single me out and play the “who knows more about football” card, fine. You do. Happy?

Despite the fact that I’m not able to break down the individual coverage responsibilities of each player, I know enough to know that Maulet isn’t all that good. Is he the top of Colbert’s off season to do list? Maybe not. But let’s not pretend that they’ve found the nickel package guy for the next several years here.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I for one am Glad they dealt for Witherspoon , was at the time of doing so , got disenchanted with it when he seemingly was unable to find the field and assumed I had taken a liking to a bad transaction ...

That said now that he has found the field he has been a breath of fresh air and instead of making me question the trade instead question the staff for delaying what seemingly was the move to make to help solidify the backend of the defense ...

now if Maulet would find his way to be bench and just let the youngster Norwood assume those snaps I think we could see another uptick in performance just my 2 cents
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wonder why it took so long to get Witherspoon onto the field…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Wonder why it took so long to get Witherspoon onto the field…
    I read somewhere he was having difficulty grasping our defensive coverages.

Nagy is gonna have some idea based on the film study he and the Bears staff did leading up to the game.

You want me to honestly believe that Nagy has no idea of how to get guys matched up to his advantage based on the Steelers tendencies? Really? Is he guaranteed to get the alignment/look he wants? Heck no. But he’s not just pulling crap out of hat. You’re argument would seem to be that NFL coaches are not able to force mismatches and are at the mercy of the fates. If that’s true, then why study film? Also, everything every announcer has ever said ever is basically a lie.

But if you want to single me out and play the “who knows more about football” card, fine. You do. Happy?

Despite the fact that I’m not able to break down the individual coverage responsibilities of each player, I know enough to know that Maulet isn’t all that good. Is he the top of Colbert’s off season to do list? Maybe not. But let’s not pretend that they’ve found the nickel package guy for the next several years here.
    I just reread this.

And I’m going to offer an apology. There was no need for me to get pissy. EGJ has good points and more knowledge of the game than I do. I should and do respect that.

So I’ll reformulate it as a question. Is it possible for Team A to hunt for matchups/tendencies in Team B based on who they think is the relative “weak link”? If so, is Maulet that link?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I just reread this.

And I’m going to offer an apology. There was no need for me to get pissy. EGJ has good points and more knowledge of the game than I do. I should and do respect that.

So I’ll reformulate it as a question. Is it possible for Team A to hunt for matchups/tendencies in Team B based on who they think is the relative “weak link”? If so, is Maulet that link?

yes it is possible and fairly predictable based on tape / tendencies but its not an absolute as your tendencies are not 100% predictable ( at least they shouldn't be ) but teams do not spend countless hours of grinding the tape to find these tendencies if they didn't have inherent value

just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I for one am Glad they dealt for Witherspoon , was at the time of doing so , got disenchanted with it when he seemingly was unable to find the field and assumed I had taken a liking to a bad transaction ...

That said now that he has found the field he has been a breath of fresh air and instead of making me question the trade instead question the staff for delaying what seemingly was the move to make to help solidify the backend of the defense ...

now if Maulet would find his way to be bench and just let the youngster Norwood assume those snaps I think we could see another uptick in performance just my 2 cents

[IMG][/IMG]