Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Re: Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Colbert needs to stop doing these 5th round trades with John Schneider. This is the second time he got fleeced.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    Colbert needs to stop doing these 5th round trades with John Schneider. This is the second time he got fleeced.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока
    "BuT iT's JuSt A fIfTh RoUnDeR, nOnE oF tHoSe WoRk OuT fOr ThE sTeElErS aNyWaY".

On a serious note, I agree. Stop throwing away draft picks on scrubs

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    "BuT iT's JuSt A fIfTh RoUnDeR, nOnE oF tHoSe WoRk OuT fOr ThE sTeElErS aNyWaY".

On a serious note, I agree. Stop throwing away draft picks on scrubs
    When was the last time on of those picks worked out? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I could care less about making the pick or not. But you need all the chips you can stack when chasing a QB.

Trading TWO of those chips (however small they may be) for a DB that can’t pass two stiffs like Layne and Joseph on a not very talented DB depth chart…that’s just annoying.

Brett Keisel was a 7th round pick, AB (before he revealed himself to be an insane degenerate piece of filth) was highly successful as a 6th round pick, Kelvin Beachum was a quality starter at LT as a 7th round pick (not to mention the numerous late round picks who had successful careers). I understand that low round draft picks have a low success rate, but that success rate is greater than 0%. Throwing away draft picks on scrubs like Witherspoon and Nick Vannett (it's been 2 years and I still can't understand why the Nick Vannett trade was made) have exactly a 0% success rate.

Summation: You are better off keeping the pick than throwing it away on a known scrub and the whole "but it's just a low round pick" justification doesn't work here.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Witherspoon traded to the Steelers

Brett Keisel was a 7th round pick, AB (before he revealed himself to be an insane degenerate piece of filth) was highly successful as a 6th round pick, Kelvin Beachum was a quality starter at LT as a 7th round pick (not to mention the numerous late round picks who had successful careers). I understand that low round draft picks have a low success rate, but that success rate is greater than 0%. Throwing away draft picks on scrubs like Witherspoon and Nick Vannett (it's been 2 years and I still can't understand why the Nick Vannett trade was made) have exactly a 0% success rate.

Summation: You are better off keeping the pick than throwing it away on a known scrub and the whole "but it's just a low round pick" justification doesn't work here.
    What was the last 5th round pick that did anything? Just curious…

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Not sure, but I think Harvin doing something from the 7th round.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Not sure, but I think Harvin doing something from the 7th round.
    No doubt there’s been good 6th and 7th round picks…

Jesse james wasn't the most productive but he at least did more than nick vannett not to mention the players already mentioned that were drafted after the 5th round. Now I'll ask you a question that you probably won't answer, what has Witherspoon done that made him worth a 5th round pick?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Calculated risk. Two seasons ago Witherspoon was great, and then he sucked. The hope was that you trade a Day 3 draft pick TWO YEARS from now with the hope that you get the prior.

Alas, it appears that we got the latter.

Jesse james wasn't the most productive but he at least did more than nick vannett not to mention the players already mentioned that were drafted after the 5th round. Now I'll ask you a question that you probably won't answer, what has Witherspoon done that made him worth a 5th round pick?
    Pretty much the same as all the other 5th round picks Colbert has had. It’s not that big a loss as you want to make it out to be. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Calculated risk. Two seasons ago Witherspoon was great, and then he sucked. The hope was that you trade a Day 3 draft pick TWO YEARS from now with the hope that you get the prior.

Alas, it appears that we got the latter.
    Exactly. Just like you would throw it away on any other college player…this one has one years worth of NFL experience that was decent.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well...I couldn't have been more wrong.

I really didn't think Witherspoon had this in him.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well...I couldn't have been more wrong.

I really didn't think Witherspoon had this in him.
    Nobody predicted he would have played like this, the trade was looking like a loss early in the season. Good on Witherspoon for improving.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Kid’s been balling, he’s our best db right now not named Fitzpatrick

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

During one of the games, the announcers talked about how Tomlin/the coaches had watched a lot of film with Witherspoon. It appears to have paid off.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    During one of the games, the announcers talked about how Tomlin/the coaches had watched a lot of film with Witherspoon. It appears to have paid off.
    Teryl Austin is still a DB coach with the Steelers. He has been impactful with the secondary, every team he has gone to. I am not shocked that he can coach up some guys and impact turnovers by the secondary.

I honestly still hope that he would replace Keith Butler as DC at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Teryl Austin is still a DB coach with the Steelers. He has been impactful with the secondary, every team he has gone to. I am not shocked that he can coach up some guys and impact turnovers by the secondary.

I honestly still hope that he would replace Keith Butler as DC at some point.
    I kind of think that he sorta has. I have believed, based on various comments and interviews, that they really have a DC in name only and Tomlin, Butler, and Austin kind of collaboratively run the defense.

No idea if it is true. And I wonder how long Austin is content to stay in such and arrangement?

I never imagined that Austin would have the impact he has had. I mean I knew he couldn't hurt but I wildly underestimated how much he could change attitudes and some performances.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Nobody predicted he would have played like this, the trade was looking like a loss early in the season. Good on Witherspoon for improving.
    Agreed, Good for Spoons, good for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I kind of think that he sorta has. I have believed, based on various comments and interviews, that they really have a DC in name only and Tomlin, Butler, and Austin kind of collaboratively run the defense.

No idea if it is true. And I wonder how long Austin is content to stay in such and arrangement?

I never imagined that Austin would have the impact he has had. I mean I knew he couldn't hurt but I wildly underestimated how much he could change attitudes and some performances.
    Good coaches and coordinators convey their attitudes and beliefs to their players and create the type of play, or culture for the most part. Guys buy in and get better, or they get replaced by players that out work them. Every place that Austin has gone (Seattle around 2004, Arizona around 2008, Ravens 2011, Lions 2014) the secondary improves and becomes ball hawks. I think he had a 2 year stint in Cinci that wasnt good.

Sure, there may be some kind of Defense by collaboration, but the gameday defensive playcalling becomes an important part. I think Butler still does that, but really dont know for sure. When players believe in the DC and he calls an aggressive game at times, the players want to make it work and back him up. I think that was prevalent with LeBeau and somehow I get a feeling that Steelers players might react even more positively to Austin than Butler.

Either way, something good to watch for as the Steelers re tool for 2022 and beyond.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm glad to eat crow on Witherspoon. After watching them trade for some other flops, I had my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'm glad to eat crow on Witherspoon. After watching them trade for some other flops, I had my doubts.
    He is still just a rental player, as his contract is up at the end of the season. Would be a guy they can try and re sign, but he is basically playing his way to a contract in free agency and the Steelers dont often get in that bidding war as we know.

Basically Sutton, Pierre and Layne are the only CB under contract for next season. Norwood also can play some slot coverage in dime, but I think they will try and sign Witherspoon and Maulet to modest contracts. Maybe even see if Haden has 2 more seasons left in him?

He is still just a rental player, as his contract is up at the end of the season. Would be a guy they can try and re sign, but he is basically playing his way to a contract in free agency and the Steelers dont often get in that bidding war as we know.

Basically Sutton, Pierre and Layne are the only CB under contract for next season. Norwood also can play some slot coverage in dime, but I think they will try and sign Witherspoon and Maulet to modest contracts. Maybe even see if Haden has 2 more seasons left in him?
    Maulet is more then welcome to walk…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This conversation....

This is a narrative that I find amusing. I am curious about it, but I am pretty sure that it stems from some bloggers writing things and quoting statistics, but not having the understanding that coverage schemes that put slot corners covering deep 1/3 against vertical receivers is a recipe for disaster. It happened with Norwood early in the year and with Maulet the rest of the season they ran it.

He is a good slot cover corner.

This is a narrative that I find amusing. I am curious about it, but I am pretty sure that it stems from some bloggers writing things and quoting statistics, but not having the understanding that coverage schemes that put slot corners covering deep 1/3 against vertical receivers is a recipe for disaster. It happened with Norwood early in the year and with Maulet the rest of the season they ran it.

He is a good slot cover corner.
    He is likely better than many of us give him credit for. BUT...

How good can a guy who was in low demand on the FA market and had been waived more than a few times really be? Sure...maybe he is the next UDFA gem...or maybe he is just a replacement level slot CB.

I can't shake the image of the Bears just targeting him over and over with great success. He seems to be a better run defender than coverage guy. I realize that there are not a great number of 3rd CBs that can just turn and run with top NFL wideouts...but I don't think Maulet is anything special. If I was running a team...I would be more than comfortable with bringing in another FA lottery ticket to compete for the position.

He is likely better than many of us give him credit for. BUT...

How good can a guy who was in low demand on the FA market and had been waived more than a few times really be? Sure...maybe he is the next UDFA gem...or maybe he is just a replacement level slot CB.

I can't shake the image of the Bears just targeting him over and over with great success
    . He seems to be a better run defender than coverage guy. I realize that there are not a great number of 3rd CBs that can just turn and run with top NFL wideouts...but I don't think Maulet is anything special. If I was running a team...I would be more than comfortable with bringing in another FA lottery ticket to compete for the position.
    Did the Bears actually "target him with great success"? Or were there 2 receptions that you remember and bought into the online hate??

The Bears only had 17 completions in that game and 9 of them went to TE's Cole Kmet, Jimmy Graham and RB David Montgomery. The one Bears passing TD went to Mooney, who was covered by Maulet and he had good coverage, but appears to slip on the turf, but the ball was placed outstanding by Fields.

Maulet can cover well in the slot. I think he is good with quicker receivers in the slot, while Norwood isnt as good with them, but is a better matchup vs TE's. Either way, Maulet is a good slot CB IMO. Sure he can be upgraded, but he is good enough to start in the slot and allow the Steelers to leave Sutton outside. Finding a long term solution to replace Haden is more important IMO>

Did the Bears actually "target him with great success"? Or were there 2 receptions that you remember and bought into the online hate??

The Bears only had 17 completions in that game and 9 of them went to TE's Cole Kmet, Jimmy Graham and RB David Montgomery. The one Bears passing TD went to Mooney, who was covered by Maulet and he had good coverage, but appears to slip on the turf, but the ball was placed outstanding by Fields.

Maulet can cover well in the slot. I think he is good with quicker receivers in the slot, while Norwood isnt as good with them, but is a better matchup vs TE's. Either way, Maulet is a good slot CB IMO. Sure he can be upgraded, but he is good enough to start in the slot and allow the Steelers to leave Sutton outside. Finding a long term solution to replace Haden is more important IMO>
    There was another third down conversion pass on Maulet as well. Possible an additional one. To my eye the Bears appeared to be going after Maulet in that game. Other teams have seemingly done it as well.

And to be fair, it is usually with bigger/taller guys. Because Maulet does okay with smaller slot guys. He’s also made some nice plays in run support.

My take, and I don’t really know the online one, is that Maulet is a serviceable around “average” nickel. That’s what I mean by replacement level. Can likely find that guy each and every off season fairly readily and cheap.

If Maulet is open to reupping on a super team friendly deal, then absolutely. Let him, Norwood, and INSERT NAME HERE compete to make the 2022 roster.

And, yes. Replacing Haden is more vital. Honestly, other than Sutton…the whole CB depth chart is replaceable to me. Pierre and Layne don’t move the needle. Witherspoon if he doesn’t want Haden money is a candidate to resign.

I hope they bring several guys in to compete.

There was another third down conversion pass on Maulet as well. Possible an additional one. To my eye the Bears appeared to be going after Maulet in that game. Other teams have seemingly done it as well.

And to be fair, it is usually with bigger/taller guys. Because Maulet does okay with smaller slot guys. He’s also made some nice plays in run support.

My take, and I don’t really know the online one, is that Maulet is a serviceable around “average” nickel. That’s what I mean by replacement level. Can likely find that guy each and every off season fairly readily and cheap.

If Maulet is open to reupping on a super team friendly deal, then absolutely. Let him, Norwood, and INSERT NAME HERE compete to make the 2022 roster.

And, yes. Replacing Haden is more vital. Honestly, other than Sutton…the whole CB depth chart is replaceable to me. Pierre and Layne don’t move the needle. Witherspoon if he doesn’t want Haden money is a candidate to resign.

I hope they bring several guys in to compete.
    Maulet was targeted 4 times vs Chicago. The play before the TD was a 3rd and 2, where Allen Robinson caught a 39 yard pass down the right sideline. That is the play where Haden plays the short zone and the slot is in an inverted Cover-3 responsibility. Its the same coverage where Norwood got beat early in the season vs Cincinnati I think and its a losing gamble to have the slot CB cover the WR on a go route.

So Maulet allowed 3 completions on 4 targets the entire game and its perceived as being "targeted over and over"?? One which a gamble defensive coverage on a 3rd and short that Fields read pre snap and exploited the Steelers gambling. Pre-concieved opinion for some reason.

Yeah, I think Maulet is a serviceable nickel CB. I also think he can be replaced. But I also think he is better than other guys they went out in free agency and got like Brice McCain, Antowan Blake, etc.