Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers vs Bills week 1

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Steelers vs Bills week 1

So.....How do the Steelers score more points than this Bills team?

If I grade based off what we think we know today....

Pass offense - advantage Steelers(Bills are no slouch, close to a draw but I'm a homer)
    Rush offense - advantage Bills(I trust their OL more as of today)

Pass defense - advantage Steelers(Bills are good but Steelers are better)
    Run defense - advantage Bills(I just trust their LBs more as of today)

What are your thoughts?

Can we out-physical this Bills team?

Can we out-finesse this Bills team?

I think this is a GREAT game to start with. Could mean a lot more come playoff time.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: Steelers vs Bills week 1

It all boils down to stopping big plays from Allen IMO. Bend not break and hold to FG’s. Bills will move ball for sure but red zone D has to step it up. I’m a homer too but really believe a resurgence of running game will happen and help Ben out. Unlike last year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Pressure and limiting the run on defense and the play of the offensive line on offense.

It could be close...but I am feeling like the Steelers lose this one by 2 scores.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Pressure and limiting the run on defense and the play of the offensive line on offense.

It could be close...but I am feeling like the Steelers lose this one by 2 scores.
    Your pessimism is shocking!

Steelers by 2 as the Bills miss a 53 yard FG as time expires. 31-29.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Your pessimism is shocking!

Steelers by 2 as the Bills miss a 53 yard FG as time expires. 31-29.
    I just think the Bills are a legit SB contender and the Steelers are a WC contender.

Totally new o line. Totally new offense. A question about how much the old gunslinger can still sling.

In Buffalo, that should be a Bills win.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I just think the Bills are a legit SB contender and the Steelers are a WC contender.

Totally new o line. Totally new offense. A question about how much the old gunslinger can still sling.

In Buffalo, that should be a Bills win.
    I think the Bills are legit as well. They have just as many weapons on offense as the Steelers and their OL is good, top 5-10 good. I'm wondering if we can out-physical their defense with our OL/Run game. Use the short pass game and use the clock to keep Allen and co off the field. We do not want a shoot out with this team, IMO. If we fall behind I think our vertical game beats their defense this year with the threat of Najee. But I don't think that should be the offensive gameplan. If that makes any sense.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Tough game and, it's on the road most people expect the Bills to roll. I think if the o-line can protect the Steelers can steal this one and, the defense has to limit the Bills to FG's as posted above. 24-20 Steelers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think they take a big loss here…unless Allen comes back to earth…which I doubt.

I don’t think they can score more points than the Bills here. 38-17 Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bills 24-10

Not meant to be a predict the score thread. I think if the defense can hold the Bills to 21 or under the Steelers have a legit chance. A shootout goes to the Bills I fear. Just move the chains and keep the Bills' offense on the sidelines.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I'm not going to underestimate Tomlin in a big game on the road. Its going to be a close game - down to the wire.

Steelers by a point or two.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

We have a back who can beat off defenders. We will loose no more games!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think the Bills are legit as well. They have just as many weapons on offense as the Steelers and their OL is good, top 5-10 good. I'm wondering if we can out-physical their defense with our OL/Run game. Use the short pass game and use the clock to keep Allen and co off the field. We do not want a shoot out with this team, IMO. If we fall behind I think our vertical game beats their defense this year with the threat of Najee. But I don't think that should be the offensive gameplan. If that makes any sense.
    That could/should be the plan. But I just don't see an all new OL getting it together enough to maul a really darn good defense in their home opener.

If they played the Bills in Pittsburgh, a month from now...I might feel differently. But next weekend, on the road? Just not expecting much.

That could/should be the plan. But I just don't see an all new OL getting it together enough to maul a really darn good defense in their home opener.

If they played the Bills in Pittsburgh, a month from now...I might feel differently. But next weekend, on the road? Just not expecting much.
    Valid.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Who knows what to expect? The Offensive line is completely different and they haven't had any real tests. The offense is also running a new scheme under Canada and Harris looks good but how will that transfer week 1. I'm expecting a rude awakening vs the Superbowl contending Bills.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Bills in front of a capacity crowd will come out firing looking to get a big start and put the Steelers on the back burner. An opening touchdown drive. The Steelers have to weather the initial flurry. If they can do that, they'll have a chance.

The Bills are stacked and may be too much come the end. 31-16 Bills.

If the Bills put up 30-40 points I'm going to be very disappointed in our defense. They scored 26 last season when we couldn't get a 1st down let alone score. I think we can hold them under 21. Gonna require the offense to move the chains though.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If the Bills put up 30-40 points I'm going to be very disappointed in our defense. They scored 26 last season when we couldn't get a 1st down let alone score. I think we can hold them under 21. Gonna require the offense to move the chains though.
    And our defensive front seven to put pressure on Allen and stop the run

Time for Watt, Highsmith, Heyward to have big games and Ingram to be solid
    Not to mention Bush and Schobert

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I think I'd be more optimistic if this wasn't the first game. Do we have the talent and personnel to match up to the Bills? Yes. But right now we have a total lack of experience on the OL. The way you beat the Bills is to ram the ball down their throats, but this is the first time our OL and Najee Harris will be seeing live fire. For that I think there's a big advantage to the Bills, not to mention it's a road game.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Our O-line is going to struggle, especially in run blocking which will prevent holes in the run game from opening up which will slow the offense down. Then you Buffalo's pass O, specifically Stefon Diggs. Keep in mind, Diggs torched the secondary when this team had better CBs. Not looking good in week 1

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

The first game out of the chute? Normally we start slow. With all the new talent, this is going to be a game where they would have to come together, and fast. I don't expect a great game out of the offense, but I do expect sparks. I"m not even sure what to expect out of the defense, so it may be more about how fast the Bills start the year than us, honestly.

What I am sure of, is that I don't expect the first game to be our best game, win or lose. It may take until games 4 or even 6 to really pick up steam, so we're bracing for a slow start and some scrappy performances.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Our O-line is going to struggle, especially in run blocking which will prevent holes in the run game from opening up which will slow the offense down. Then you Buffalo's pass O, specifically Stefon Diggs. Keep in mind, Diggs torched the secondary when this team had better CBs. Not looking good in week 1
    wasn’t it Steven Nelson he was torching? Nelson is gone and with good reason, his play was slipping. hopefully Sutton and or Pierre fare better with help from Fitzpatrick

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Alex Highsmith will have 8 hurries, resulting in several incomplete passes… and people will complain about the lack of sacks.

Watt will have one sack… and people will say that he didn’t have more because Tomlin let him miss training camp.

Every time that Harris carries the ball for less than 2 yards, people will complain about drafting him.

Even if the O-line has a decent game, people will only focus on the ONE penalty they had.

DJ will drop three passes… but, he’ll also lead the team in receptions and receiving yards.

Freiermuth will outplay Ebron with 3 more receptions, 45 more yards, a 1:0 TD ratio, and a 0:3 drop ratio.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    wasn’t it Steven Nelson he was torching? Nelson is gone and with good reason, his play was slipping. hopefully Sutton and or Pierre fare better with help from Fitzpatrick
    I’d probably rather have Nelson starting the first game of the season then Sutton and definitely over Pierre.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Alex Highsmith will have 8 hurries, resulting in several incomplete passes… and people will complain about the lack of sacks.

Watt will have one sack… and people will say that he didn’t have more because Tomlin let him miss training camp.

Every time that Harris carries the ball for less than 2 yards, people will complain about drafting him.

Even if the O-line has a decent game, people will only focus on the ONE penalty they had.

DJ will drop three passes… but, he’ll also lead the team in receptions and receiving yards.

Freiermuth will outplay Ebron with 3 more receptions, 45 more yards, a 1:0 TD ratio, and a 0:3 drop ratio.
    Watt will have three sacks and people will bitch that Tomlin held a training camp.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Watt will have three sacks and people will bitch that Tomlin held a training camp.
    You get it.

my prediction, watt won't register a sack despite being the highest paid player, which by default will put him in StillMill's doghouse, then he'll get his weekly dong report

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah, somehow I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Yeah, somehow I doubt it
    steelers saw fit to let Nelson go and elevate Sutton, we’ll see how it goes, I hope they were right

And our defensive front seven to put pressure on Allen and stop the run

Time for Watt, Highsmith, Heyward to have big games and Ingram to be solid
    Not to mention Bush and Schobert
    Our front 7(6) MUST be elite. The secondary will be a weakness early this season. The Bills have 4-5 very good receiving threats and Allen was an MVP candidate last season. Pressures, sacks, stuff the run, and hopefully plenty of 'legal' knock downs. Everybody is going to have to tackle well. I think this will be a huge challenge for our defense. This is why I think the offense will need to make long drives that eat up clock and end with scores, keeping the Bills offense off the field. Limit their possessions helps our defense.

I'm hoping this is the game that jumpstarts Watt's DPOY season in a big way.