Thread: JuJu does the CRATE challenge

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

JuJu does the CRATE challenge

Dancing: who cares
    Blue hair: yawn

But, the crate challenge has left people seriously injured. Why on Earth would anyone, let alone a professional athlete (whose physical well-being is crucial to their job), ever attempt this!?!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-some-reason/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: JuJu does the CRATE challenge

I don’t really care if he did it or not. First of all, some of the people seriously injured are the most out of shape uncoordinated individuals you will ever see. Secondly, he had two spotters as well where most of these idiots have no one or someone half their size. Not a big deal…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I disagree. Knees are fragile. Ankles can get tweaked stepping off a curb incorrectly. Either body part could have been injured by falling four feet and landing awkwardly.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Yeah, this is just dumb. Sure he’s coordinated and has spotters, but you never know. His feet could go forwards and his head backwards into a crate.

There’s a reason why pro football players are contractually prevented from engaging in certain risky activities. There’s no upside to this. And even if it’s relatively safe for him, some kid who idolizes him tries it does get injured... Then was it worth it?

Not cool.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

What happened to his freedoms?

Unless there is something in his contract prohibiting things like this, he has every right to choose to do the milk crate challenge, or whatever he wants to do. Good for him for completing it and having fun doing it.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yeah, this is just dumb. Sure he’s coordinated and has spotters, but you never know. His feet could go forwards and his head backwards into a crate.

There’s a reason why pro football players are contractually prevented from engaging in certain risky activities. There’s no upside to this. And even if it’s relatively safe for him, some kid who idolizes him tries it does get injured... Then was it worth it?

Not cool.
    stupid, just like riding motorcycle without a helmet when you’re franchise QB.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Unless there is something in his contract prohibiting things like this, he has every right to choose to do the milk crate challenge, or whatever he wants to do. Good for him for completing it and having fun doing it.
    I don’t know that his contract specifically forbids juggling radioactive alligators. He might be perfectly free to do so as an American. But if he does, I’ll probably hold the same opinion that I don’t see the upside for the risk involved.

In the grand scheme of things, this milk crate nonsense probably wasn’t that dangerous, and not really worth spending too much thought and emotion on. But someone started a thread about it so I spent a few brain cells on it.

There are probably all kinds of “hold my beer” activities that football players aren’t specifically prohibited from doing. But we as fans also enjoy the freedom to judge their decisions accordingly.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I don’t know that his contract specifically forbids juggling radioactive alligators. He might be perfectly free to do so as an American. But if he does, I’ll probably hold the same opinion that I don’t see the upside for the risk involved.

In the grand scheme of things, this milk crate nonsense probably wasn’t that dangerous, and not really worth spending too much thought and emotion on. But someone started a thread about it so I spent a few brain cells on it.

There are probably all kinds of “hold my beer” activities that football players aren’t specifically prohibited from doing. But we as fans also enjoy the freedom to judge their decisions accordingly.
    It would be so much easier for me to get my bowels in an uproar if he had actually gotten hurt…..Ben being an example with the Bike accident. But rock stars have let their fans and band members down by ODing and dying or not being able to perform. Film stars…..same thing. So while, I would never encourage Juju to jump around on milk crates, that’s pretty harmless compared to what some other major athletes have done over the years. I think there really is something in the books that says that they can’t go skiing.

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

This is like a hand model out there playing bloody knuckles at a bar.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    It would be so much easier for me to get my bowels in an uproar if he had actually gotten hurt…..Ben being an example with the Bike accident. But rock stars have let their fans and band members down by ODing and dying or not being able to perform. Film stars…..same thing. So while, I would never encourage Juju to jump around on milk crates, that’s pretty harmless compared to what some other major athletes have done over the years. I think there really is something in the books that says that they can’t go skiing.
    What if Juju did the milk crate challenge while fighting Minkah on a balcony and threw some couches over the balcony and tik tok'd it?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    What if Juju did the milk crate challenge while fighting Minkah on a balcony and threw some couches over the balcony and tik tok'd it?
    It’s only unforgivable if those milk crates he’s dancing on have another team’s logo.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Any chance Benny Snell can do that crate challenge?

Not cool.
    Spot on

- - - Updated - - -

Many NFL contracts have specific clauses about not participating in “risky” activities. As Hawkman said, skiing is “banned” activity for many players.

If I remember correctly, didn’t Brisn Griese have party of his contract negated for getting injured while being drunk. Then, he tried to blame it on “tripping over his dog” which might have also been true.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Many NFL contracts have specific clauses about not participating in “risky” activities. As Hawkman said, skiing is “banned” activity for many players.

Of course, and those are all likely elements of a standard player contract that are subject to negotiation and classification as "risky activities". I just find the level of hypocrisy of some sports fans that love the American values of freedom and capitalism, but the 2 worst things a player can do to draw their ire are :

1. Negotiate for a big money contract.
    2. Engage in an activity in their free time that fans dont agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I think learning to snowboard carries a higher risk of wrist and tailbone injuries, fractures, than learning to ski. But I love this Alvin Kamara footage of him last winter as a novice snowboarder. The guy just has elite balance and core strength that he picked it up really fast apparently.

Its obviously not prohibited by his contract.

Of course, and those are all likely elements of a standard player contract that are subject to negotiation and classification as "risky activities". I just find the level of hypocrisy of some sports fans that love the American values of freedom and capitalism, but the 2 worst things a player can do to draw their ire are :

1. Negotiate for a big money contract.
    2. Engage in an activity in their free time that fans dont agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I think learning to snowboard carries a higher risk of wrist and tailbone injuries, fractures, than learning to ski. But I love this Alvin Kamara footage of him last winter as a novice snowboarder. The guy just has elite balance and core strength that he picked it up really fast apparently.

Its obviously not prohibited by his contract.
    I think you are confusing freedom with judgment calls. No one is advocating that Juju go to jail or suffer legal consequences for his actions.

I believe you should have the legal right to gargle with bleach if you so choose. That doesn’t mean I won’t criticize you for doing it.

You can drive a car with your feet, if you want to… that don’t make it a good f*cking idea.”

—Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    You can drive a car with your feet, if you want to… that don’t make it a good f*cking idea.”

—Chris Rock
    Walking on milk cratescompared to) driving with feet = running with an arrow in handcompared to) firing an arrow into a crowd of people

Walking on milk cratescompared to) driving with feet = running with an arrow in handcompared to) firing an arrow into a crowd of people
    I think you’re too smart to really be missing the point of using extreme examples to illustrate a flaw in the logic of a general principle.

The comparison isn’t that the things in question have the exact same degree of risk, it’s that your FREEDOM to do it does not mean you should be free from CRITICISM if you do it.

Come up with your own comparisons that make more sense to you if you like. I’d be willing to bet anything that you have deemed something else unwise that you also should be allowed. Do you ever criticize an offensive coordinator’s call? Why? Don’t you believe in his freedom to call whatever play he wants? What are you, a communist? You see why that isn’t an appropriate rebuttal to criticism of a decision?

We are criticizing the wisdom of a decision, not the right to make it.

But instead of continuing to argue the logical fallacy of any of this, I’m going to try and Steelman your argument (rather than straw man it).

I believe you see this milk crate thing as more comparable to silly tweets than to riding a motorcycle without a helmet. I see the difference being the physical risk involved in one activity that doesn’t exist in the other. Obviously Juju is on your side of this debate. He clearly saw the rewards of this activity (more views, more likes, and perhaps the sheer joy of the activity itself) to be worth the relatively minor risks involved. He also thought it was worth the potential influence his actions might have on his less coordinated and spotter-less fans, who might in fact be injured from attempting the same thing.

I concede both that this is Juju’s choice to make and that my own priorities don’t align perfectly with his. I gain nothing from his fun or his clicks, but I could lose happiness from his injury. I happen to think the potential downside of him risking injury is even worse for him, and not worth the relatively insignificant bump in income from likes and clicks he might get from such a stunt, but I admit to not being a social media wizard.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

if he gets injured, fire the training staff

I think you’re too smart to really be missing the point of using extreme examples to illustrate a flaw in the logic of a general principle.

The comparison isn’t that the things in question have the exact same degree of risk, it’s that your FREEDOM to do it does not mean you should be free from CRITICISM if you do it.

Come up with your own comparisons that make more sense to you if you like. I’d be willing to bet anything that you have deemed something else unwise that you also should be allowed. Do you ever criticize an offensive coordinator’s call? Why? Don’t you believe in his freedom to call whatever play he wants? What are you, a communist? You see why that isn’t an appropriate rebuttal to criticism of a decision?

We are criticizing the wisdom of a decision, not the right to make it.

But instead of continuing to argue the logical fallacy of any of this, I’m going to try and Steelman your argument (rather than straw man it).

I believe you see this milk crate thing as more comparable to silly tweets than to riding a motorcycle without a helmet. I see the difference being the physical risk involved in one activity that doesn’t exist in the other. Obviously Juju is on your side of this debate. He clearly saw the rewards of this activity (more views, more likes, and perhaps the sheer joy of the activity itself) to be worth the relatively minor risks involved. He also thought it was worth the potential influence his actions might have on his less coordinated and spotter-less fans, who might in fact be injured from attempting the same thing.

I concede both that this is Juju’s choice to make and that my own priorities don’t align perfectly with his. I gain nothing from his fun or his clicks, but I could lose happiness from his injury. I happen to think the potential downside of him risking injury is even worse for him, and not worth the relatively insignificant bump in income from likes and clicks he might get from such a stunt, but I admit to not being a social media wizard.
    I see a challenge that went viral and a young guy that wanted to do it because he could. I saw some woman do the milk crate challenge in 6 inch heels, so its not surprising that a 200lb NFL receiver didnt see it as something that big of a deal.

Riding a skateboard can be dangerous if you fall off it, but I'm not going to get upset about an NFL player skateboarding because his enjoyment interferes with "my priorities". I'm just going to respect peoples right to choose an activity on their free time, because its that. Their Free Time.

He didn’t get injured so really…who cares?