Thread: Will this year’s entire draft class make the final 53?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Will this year’s entire draft class make the final 53?

I don’t know if Roche will beat out Marsh. But if so then the rest are very probable. I think Norwood makes it since he plays safety and corner.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Will this year’s entire draft class make the final 53?

R1: Harris: starter
    R2: Freiermuth: starter
    R3: Green: starter
    R4: Moore: future starter
    R4: Johnson: primary backup
    R5: Loudermilk: non-stop motor
    R6: Roche: ***
    R7: Norwood: primary backup at safety
    R7: Harvin: BOOM!!!

***I think most of agree that Roche was thought of as a steal in R6. He was the rotation guy with the other Miami OLBs (both of whom went in R1). It has been a tough competition between him, Marsh, and Jamir Jones. I truly believe that the Steelers will keep 5 OLBs, with two of those three making the 53. If they want to try to keep the third on the practice squad, I’d probably cut Marsh (despite how well/poorly he has played). Why? Roche will be snatched up, while Marsh has bounced around (so there’s more of a chance that he would be re-signed). Oh, and Jones has played the best (so, I’d keep him over Marsh).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I can’t see how they don’t make the roster. I mean the only somewhat questionable ones would be Roche and maybe Harvin…maybe. But even if they think Marsh and Berry are better, they would hang around as free agents much longer than the other two. It would be a dumb move out of the gate to cut Harvin and Roche over Marsh and. Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I don't believe Buddy Johnson is a lock. There's a lot of competition at ILB and Buddy hasn't done anything to show that he's better than Gilbert, Allen, or Spillane. Assuming they keep 5 ILBs...I can't see what Buddy has done to prove he's worth a roster spot over these other guys at this point. Being our 4th round pick might just get him a spot, but he hasn't earned that just yet, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I don't believe Buddy Johnson is a lock. There's a lot of competition at ILB and Buddy hasn't done anything to show that he's better than Gilbert, Allen, or Spillane. Assuming they keep 5 ILBs...I can't see what Buddy has done to prove he's worth a roster spot over these other guys at this point. Being our 4th round pick might just get him a spot, but he hasn't earned that just yet, IMO.

have you watched any of the preseason games ?

he has been one of the highest rated rookies thus far , his play has stood out ..

he isnt gonna supplant Spillane but I could see him supplanting Gilbert with ease and maybe even Allen ( whom in coverage is one of the best ILB we have but he doesn't hold up vs the run very well )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Roche has a bizarrely better chance of sneaking through waivers because of his lower special teams value compared to Marsh.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    have you watched any of the preseason games ?

he has been one of the highest rated rookies thus far , his play has stood out ..

he isnt gonna supplant Spillane but I could see him supplanting Gilbert with ease and maybe even Allen ( whom in coverage is one of the best ILB we have but he doesn't hold up vs the run very well )
    Yes I've watched them all and I didn't see anything that stood out to me more than what any of the other guys have shown. I don't buy into the pff grades too much either, but I do think he will make the roster, but not because he's clearly outplayed any of the other ILBs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would call that a good draft. Even if the benefits are short lived. Upgrade is upgrade.

Imo, there is actually 4 that are aren't locks to make the 53. Johnson, Roche, Norwood, and Harvin. I honestly would not be surprised if it went either way with any of these guys, but being that they're draft picks they do have a better chance.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Imo, there is actually 4 that are aren't locks to make the 53. Johnson, Roche, Norwood, and Harvin. I honestly would not be surprised if it went either way with any of these guys, but being that they're draft picks they do have a better chance.
    out of those, only Roche won't make the 53.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Teryl Austin has declared that Norwood is his primary backup.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Berry has been lights out this preseason. Johnson hasn't done anything to stand out. Norwood is slow.

I could see them adding a safety to take Norwood's spot after final cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Teryl Austin has declared that Norwood is his primary backup.
    At this point...yeah he is. They may have someone in mind in free agency to take the backup safety role. I just don't see Norwood as that guy.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Berry has been lights out this preseason. Johnson hasn't done anything to stand out. Norwood is slow.

I could see them adding a safety to take Norwood's spot after final cuts.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point...yeah he is. They may have someone in mind in free agency to take the backup safety role. I just don't see Norwood as that guy.
    They are already implementing Norwood in some nickel packages and it wouldn’t surprise me if they put him on the field as a FS in dime and let Minkah be the dime coverage back.

Even if they do add someone after final cuts they won’t cut Norwood ahead of that in the hopes that they’ll find someone better off the scrap heap who will learn all their defensive packages before the start of the season.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    They are already implementing Norwood in some nickel packages and it wouldn’t surprise me if they put him on the field as a FS in dime and let Minkah be the dime coverage back.

Even if they do add someone after final cuts they won’t cut Norwood ahead of that in the hopes that they’ll find someone better off the scrap heap who will learn all their defensive packages before the start of the season.

IMHO
    They do and have done that though. If they feel they can bring a guy in who is an upgrade over Norwood then I don't see why they wouldn't. Austin never declared Norwood as the primary backup. He said Norwood deserves to be in that conversation.

Safety may be our most unproven position in terms of depth. Imo, if they bring in a vet after cuts...it will likely be a safety.

Almost happened. Every draft pick except Roche. I was surprised they cut both him and Marsh.

I guess they still think Ulysses S. Grant is better. Or maybe it’s just that Roche is safer on the PS.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I would say it's tiresome always being right but it's not.

just a cross I have to bear.

Wow!!! I liked the Roche pick at the time. Alas…

What is interesting is that with Roche getting released, it reminds me that about ten picks later Trey Smith was drafted. Smith has looked every bit of the “top ten” talent that he is. Of course, he has MAJOR medical concerns which could stop his career at any point (he could possibly die), but since Roche didn’t even make the 53 (and Smith is a starter) Smith might have been worth the calculated risk.

I would say it's tiresome always being right but it's not.

just a cross I have to bear.
    Give yourself a pat on the back for me.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What is interesting is that with Roche getting released, it reminds me that about ten picks later Trey Smith was drafted. Smith has looked every bit of the “top ten” talent that he is. Of course, he has MAJOR medical concerns which could stop his career at any point (he could possibly die), but since Roche didn’t even make the 53 (and Smith is a starter) Smith might have been worth the calculated risk.
    Roche might still end up on the team via the PS. I seem to remember a certain UDFA OLB that took a couple of roster cuts to make the squad...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yes, Smith is a top talent, but the extent of risk with his medical background of blood clots may be a long term risk that makes it difficult for him to finish a full season. I dont know what kind of anticoagulants he is on, or if he is on any, but its got to be tough to play football on them.

As for Roche, I wonder if we will hear more with regards to attitude, practice ethic, etc. I see him as having the bend to get around the edge and the quickness off the snap that you want in a pass rusher. I really dont see why you let that kind of talent go, but keep 8 Defensive linemen, or 4RB (including Snell) unless there is some other circumstances involved in the decision.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Roche might still end up on the team via the PS. I seem to remember a certain UDFA OLB that took a couple of roster cuts to make the squad...
    Roche just got picked up by the Giants. Dang it!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post

They'll probably release him like Tuzar Skipper

Give yourself a pat on the back for me.
    thanks, I gave myself two because that's how much of a Nostradanus I am.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Honestly if they're going to lengthen the season, they should also increase the size of the active roster, maybe to like 55 or 56. Longer season means more injuries

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

thanks, I gave myself two because that's how much of a Nostradanus I am.

You are a man of many talents!

How did this even happen? The experts all said the Steelers didn't have a good draft.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The entire rookie class can't make the roster? this team has no idea what they're doing, bunch of bozos. Colbert should've been fired 15+ years ago!!!!!

Norwood is becoming my favorite pick. Very versatile and seems to have a good understanding of the game. He could be the future slot corner for this team.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    The entire rookie class can't make the roster? this team has no idea what they're doing, bunch of bozos. Colbert should've been fired 15+ years ago!!!!!

Norwood is becoming my favorite pick. Very versatile and seems to have a good understanding of the game. He could be the future slot corner for this team.
    I get what you're saying, but a lot is going to have to go wrong for Norwood to become my favorite pick from this draft. Nothing against him, I'm behind him 100%, but we need a couple other draft picks to pan out a bit more, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, Smith is a top talent, but the extent of risk with his medical background of blood clots may be a long term risk that makes it difficult for him to finish a full season. I dont know what kind of anticoagulants he is on, or if he is on any, but its got to be tough to play football on them.

As for Roche, I wonder if we will hear more with regards to attitude, practice ethic, etc. I see him as having the bend to get around the edge and the quickness off the snap that you want in a pass rusher. I really dont see why you let that kind of talent go, but keep 8 Defensive linemen, or 4RB (including Snell) unless there is some other circumstances involved in the decision.
    Logically, I can get it. And, considering the Shazier injury, I’m not sure the Rooneys wanted Steelers fans to see another player collapse on the field. That said, seeing Smith throw Chris Jones around like a rag doll makes me think it might have been worth the risk. (Maybe.)

Indeed. He looked good enough to keep, especially since they could have let every RB not named Najee go… and still signed them all back to the practice squad (i.e. NO ONE was going to snag those RBs away).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post

Looks like the entire draft did make a 53 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looks like the entire draft did make a 53 then.
    That is one way to look at it that I didn’t consider.