Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers’ T.J. Watt expected to become highest-paid defensive player in NFL history

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers’ T.J. Watt expected to become highest-paid defensive player in NFL history

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers’ T.J. Watt expected to become highest-paid defensive player in NFL history

Rooney’s don’t pay. Theyre cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers’ T.J. Watt expected to become highest-paid defensive player in NFL history

Dulac is the same guy who's been saying for months that Watt wouldn't get that kind of money from the Steelers. He's also the same guy saying there's no way that Haskins will be QB2. That will happen next.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers’ T.J. Watt expected to become highest-paid defensive player in NFL history

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I had a feeling someone would beat me to that joke.

But seriously, I think it’s so strange that anyone would call a team cheap that spends up to the cap every year. It isn’t cheap to not want too much to go to any one player, it allows you to spread the money around and field a better team. Isn’t this what every fan should want?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

But seriously, I think it’s so strange that anyone would call a team cheap that spends up to the cap every year. It isn’t cheap to not want too much to go to any one player, it allows you to spread the money around and field a better team. Isn’t this what every fan should want?
    Never quite got that myself.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

DAMN CHEEP ROONIEZ!!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    DAMN CHEEP ROONIEZ!!!

Gotta pay somebody, cause we ain’t gonna have a QB after this year. When we win the big one, no QBs left at 32.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s just an easy thing to say because they pay their own but don’t spend $30M/year on some high profile free agent.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

It’s just an easy thing to say because they pay their own but don’t spend $30M/year on some high profile free agent.
    So true, and I fully agree with paying the big $$$ contracts to the guys that have worked and come up through your system and have proven themselves. Outside of those rare times when a team can get an outside, elite QB in free agency (i.e., Drew Brees to NO, Tom Brady to Tampa) I think it has been proven over and over that when signing other team's players to huge deals the production and results almost never live up to the $$$. I think it also sends a bad message to the locker room when teams throw those huge contracts to outside guys.

I fully agree with the Steelers approach of paying the really big money to the guys they want to keep who have proven themselves inside the Steelers organization. Sometimes they have to lose a guy they like just based on the reality of the cap, such as Bud Dupree last year, but they do a better job then perhaps any other NFL team I think.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/st...450446346?s=19

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

There it is, they pay for what they know, rather than take a chance on bringing in an outsider that may or may not fit the culture and chemistry.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

There were only two players that I was ever ticked that the Steelers didn't pay and let walk away because they I felt they were being cheap.

Rod Woodson and Chad Brown.

I think in the 90's when others teams were yanking and paying Steelers players top dollar left and right, is what started the reputation. As others have mentioned they are always pretty much at the cap every single year, if they were a cheap organization they would always be well under.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    There were only two players that I was ever ticked that the Steelers didn't pay and let walk away because they I felt they were being cheap.

Rod Woodson and Chad Brown.

I think in the 90's when others teams were yanking and paying Steelers players top dollar left and right, is what started the reputation. As others have mentioned they are always pretty much at the cap every single year, if they were a cheap organization they would always be well under.
    Okay, but Woodson wasn’t exactly the Steelers fault. Woodson wanted market price for a top corner, and the Steelers wanted him to convert to safety at the appropriate price for the position. So Woodson got pissed and hit the open market... where he didn’t find what he thought he was worth and ended up doing exactly what the Steelers suggested but for another team.

But yeah on the Chad Brown front. He was still a hell of a player after he left.

I always wished Kevin Greene could have finished his career in Pittsburgh too.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Didn't Brown leave over position/role rather than solely cash? I remember him wanting to play outside/rush backer (sacks=cash) and they wanted him to stay inside. But I remember things wrong all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Didn't Brown leave over position/role rather than solely cash? I remember him wanting to play outside/rush backer (sacks=cash) and they wanted him to stay inside. But I remember things wrong all the time.
    I don’t know what the exact issue was with Brown, but he did play ROLB in his last year with Pittsburgh. He got 13 sacks and was an all pro that year. Maybe we wanted to move him back inside but that seems kind of weird, especially since he want to Seattle to play RLB in a 4-3 I believe. I know he never recorded double digit sacks again so it doesn’t seem like he was ever an edge rusher except for that one year with the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers had to make a choice: Lloyd or Brown. Lloyd had been their guy (deservedly so) for the previous five seasons… where he earned five Pro Bowls and three All Pros. It was a tough decision, and ultimately, it was probably the wrong one.

Kevin Greene was the opposite situation. The Steelers had Jason Gildon waiting in the wings… and went with the younger player. Greene went on to lead the NFL in sacks and win a DPOY… while Gildon was renamed Gil-DONG.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Did T.J. Watt Hint Contract Extension with the Steelers?

https://steelersnow.com/did-t-j-watt...-the-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

HEADLINE: TJ Watt traded for ___________.

Fill in the blank with a defensive player you would be okay with. Aaron Donald is the only one I can think of.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Okay, but Woodson wasn’t exactly the Steelers fault. Woodson wanted market price for a top corner, and the Steelers wanted him to convert to safety at the appropriate price for the position. So Woodson got pissed and hit the open market... where he didn’t find what he thought he was worth and ended up doing exactly what the Steelers suggested but for another team.

But yeah on the Chad Brown front. He was still a hell of a player after he left.

I always wished Kevin Greene could have finished his career in Pittsburgh too.
    My favorite LB corps by far were Lloyd/Greene/Brown. Man all 3 of those dudes were beasts.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    HEADLINE: TJ Watt traded for ___________.

Fill in the blank with a defensive player you would be okay with. Aaron Donald is the only one I can think of.
    I guess the only reasonable exchanges would be other dominant 3-4 OLBs/Edge Rushers....so the Bosa brothers. Garrett. Chase Young. Hunter. Then you would have even younger players + draft pick. Something like Brian Burns and a pick. Or Chubb and whatever.

Not that i would do those deals...but if it got to it and you had to NBA trade this thing...those seem like reasonable returns off the top of my head.

BUT...since this is a salary cap league...won't happen because you will be paying all those dudes TJ Watt money anyways...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    My favorite LB corps by far were Lloyd/Greene/Brown. Man all 3 of those dudes were beasts.

Don't forget Levon Kirkland. 4 beasts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I guess the only reasonable exchanges would be other dominant 3-4 OLBs/Edge Rushers....so the Bosa brothers. Garrett. Chase Young. Hunter. Then you would have even younger players + draft pick. Something like Brian Burns and a pick. Or Chubb and whatever.

Not that i would do those deals...but if it got to it and you had to NBA trade this thing...those seem like reasonable returns off the top of my head.

BUT...since this is a salary cap league...won't happen because you will be paying all those dudes TJ Watt money anyways...

If TJ Watt continues to play at this level or even improve, his huge contract will seem like a bargain in 4-5 years as the contracts of other players become the highest paid players in their time.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If TJ Watt continues to play at this level or even improve, his huge contract will seem like a bargain in 4-5 years as the contracts of other players become the highest paid players in their time.
    It will still probably be the highest cap percentage hit of any defensive player in history for a few years. Still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Edge rushers and QBs are "bargains" as soon as the next guy signs!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Joseph visited the Steelers in May. He opted to sign with Da Raidahs for more money. Now, he has his signing bonus from them… and gets to play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Joseph visited the Steelers in May. He opted to sign with Da Raidahs for more money. Now, he has his signing bonus from them… and gets to play for us.
    He’s smart.

He’s smart.
    Obviously… he went to WVU.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

A win-win for Joseph & the Steelers!

- - - Updated - - -

But can he burn a couch?

But can he burn a couch?
    Indeed. But, just so that we are clear…

Nobody burns couches like a Gaucho!!!

#IslaVista

But can he burn a couch?
    Not about burning but it should be about tossing couches over railings!