Thread: QB Rankings -- Ben

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

QB Rankings -- Ben

According to these "experts" we should probably try to trade Ben for a 7th round pick ASAP.

NFL Quarterback Council 2021: Ranking the top 10 QBs in arm strength, accuracy, decision-making, rushing ability, more

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...g-ability-more

I really hope that this stuff fuels Ben to a great year.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Re: QB Rankings -- Ben

Well, you can tell its a bullshit list when Ben isn't even listed in top 10 in compete level, toughness and pocket presence, so there's that, take it for what its worth, shred it and use it for cat litter.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Ben is our best option and I won't argue that, but his deep ball isn't there. If anyone thought that ball to Diontae was a sign that it's back then I'd tell them to watch that play again. It was only a 40-45 yard throw, which was underthrown and should also have been thrown more towards the sideline where it would have gone for 6.

Imo, Ben will struggle to challenge teams vertically, but if the line holds up and we have a solid running game then we shouldn't have to rely on a deep ball too often.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Ben is our best option and I won't argue that, but his deep ball isn't there. If anyone thought that ball to Diontae was a sign that it's back then I'd tell them to watch that play again. It was only a 40-45 yard throw, which was underthrown and should also have been thrown more towards the sideline where it would have gone for 6.

Imo, Ben will struggle to challenge teams vertically, but if the line holds up and we have a solid running game then we shouldn't have to rely on a deep ball too often.
    Manning won his last Superbowl with way less QB talent. Manning actually sucked his final year.

If our defense can hold and our running game work we could have a shot.

Maybe Ben only has a 45 yard arm at this point in his career or maybe, the pass was under thrown on purpose because a ball out in front of the receiver gives the safety a play on the ball as well, or if he throws it out in front and to the outside Johnson has to contort his body to make the catch, the possibility exists that Ben under threw it a bit to allow Johnson an easy play on the under thrown ball. We won't know until we see if Ben can still throw it 60-65 yards in the air.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Manning won his last Superbowl with way less QB talent. Manning actually sucked his final year.

If our defense can hold and our running game work we could have a shot.
    True though they did have the top defense in the league. The No-Fly Zone

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    Maybe Ben only has a 45 yard arm at this point in his career or maybe, the pass was under thrown on purpose because a ball out in front of the receiver gives the safety a play on the ball as well, or if he throws it out in front and to the outside Johnson has to contort his body to make the catch, the possibility exists that Ben under threw it a bit to allow Johnson an easy play on the under thrown ball. We won't know until we see if Ben can still throw it 60-65 yards in the air.
    The pass wasn’t under thrown on purpose. Ben said after the game that he put too much air under it, implying that it was a technical mistake rather than a lack of arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    The pass wasn’t under thrown on purpose. Ben said after the game that he put too much air under it, implying that it was a technical mistake rather than a lack of arm strength.
    Fair enough, I had not heard any of that, but we still don't know if he has a 45 yard arm or a 60 yard arm

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

a 45 yard arm is good enough if he can accurately land passes from that distance. he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last year on anything past 10 yards late in the season

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Those observing practice say his arm strength is still intact.

Here's an article on the throw. Of course, Dave Bryan gives himself praise for noticing that the ball had too much air under it. Duh. Bad throws happen occasionally for a variety of reasons.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/08/ro...against-lions/

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Here's an article on the throw. Of course, Dave Bryan gives himself praise for noticing that the ball had too much air under it. Duh. Bad throws happen occasionally for a variety of reasons.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/08/ro...against-lions/
    Ben knows he could have thrown a TD there, but in retrospect I’m kind of glad he didn’t. We would have been deprived of one of the PF TDs.

After watching that play again, it was pretty impressive how DJ just blew by the defender after the guy gave him a big cushion to begin with.

In the regular season we’re gonna see that play get a TD, especially with Claypool on the other side drawing attention.

If our O line does well, I see a pretty high powered offense this year.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Ben knows he could have thrown a TD there, but in retrospect I’m kind of glad he didn’t. We would have been deprived of one of the PF TDs.

After watching that play again, it was pretty impressive how DJ just blew by the defender after the guy gave him a big cushion to begin with.

In the regular season we’re gonna see that play get a TD, especially with Claypool on the other side drawing attention.

If our O line does well, I see a pretty high powered offense this year.
    yep, o line playing well along with a stud RB will take pressure off Ben. Only way Steelers advance through playoffs is with balance. I’d take game manager Ben back in a heartbeat, with the occasional 350 yard game thrown in.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

guess what , I dont care if his deep ball is gone if he can still sling it 40 yards that's enough ...

give me 8-10-132 yards and 2 TDs per quarter every quarter all year long in fact I would prefer that to the once every 3 or 4 games a 50-60 yard completion

as for these rankings , just like almost all the other ranking they are not worth the paper they are written on and Ben will prove to be top half of the league even still ....

as bad as they want to make you believe he is he was the best QB in the division last year yet they want to make you think he is/will be the worst in the division ...

I am a believer in fact not fiction and this does not become fact until the others out perform him and quite frankly that just hasn't happened yet
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

The way I saw it and maybe I need to see it again. If he threw it any deeper it would have been picked off.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    The way I saw it and maybe I need to see it again. If he threw it any deeper it would have been picked off.
    DJ slowed down to catch it but there was a safety coming in on an angle. But if Ben threw it more to the outside hitting DJ in stride closer to the sideline no one else had a play on the ball. DJ had a couple steps on the corner.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

That’s ok, there was plenty of heat on both TD passes. Ask PF.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

DJ slowed down to catch it but there was a safety coming in on an angle. But if Ben threw it more to the outside hitting DJ in stride closer to the sideline no one else had a play on the ball. DJ had a couple steps on the corner.
    DJ would’ve dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

I thought this was interesting, especially considering our third down struggles late in the season last year.

https://twitter.com/alex_kozora/stat...912331789?s=21

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Can’t do much when you have no running game, o line is poor, and your still recovering from elbow surgery

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I thought this was interesting, especially considering our third down struggles late in the season last year.

https://twitter.com/alex_kozora/stat...912331789?s=21
    Not sure I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Not sure I get your point.
    My point is that Ben is very good on 3rd and 6+. Even if it might not seem like it recently.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Maybe I'm wrong but, Ben has almost always been the most under-rated QB in NFL history. Hardly ever gets any credit and, when he was early in his career they all said he is not a pocket passer holds the ball too long waits to the play breaks down to make the play. I think Ben has more 500 yard passing games than any other QB in the NFL history. Then last year he was getting the ball out faster than anyone and, I know how the season ended don't remind me. He seems to always get the hate from the so called experts and, this year most of those people said The Steelers should not not show up this year they are done as their 38 year old hall of fame QB is. My god he did have 33 TD passes last year with a O-line that was not very good and, they could not run the ball worth a lick! So they blames Ben for all of the short comings and, not to mention a defense that had some big injures plus they wore down at the end of the season. To Ben is still a very good QB and, lets give him a chance and, if the o-line can give him so time with the playmakers in the passing game with Harris running the ball the Steelers could make a super bowl run. I guess HATERS are going to HATE. I know Ben's deep ball was off last year but, this is a new year let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but, Ben has almost always been the most under-rated QB in NFL history. Hardly ever gets any credit and, when he was early in his career they all said he is not a pocket passer holds the ball too long waits to the play breaks down to make the play. I think Ben has more 500 yard passing games than any other QB in the NFL history. Then last year he was getting the ball out faster than anyone and, I know how the season ended don't remind me. He seems to always get the hate from the so called experts and, this year most of those people said The Steelers should not not show up this year they are done as their 38 year old hall of fame QB is. My god he did have 33 TD passes last year with a O-line that was not very good and, they could not run the ball worth a lick! So they blames Ben for all of the short comings and, not to mention a defense that had some big injures plus they wore down at the end of the season. To Ben is still a very good QB and, lets give him a chance and, if the o-line can give him so time with the playmakers in the passing game with Harris running the ball the Steelers could make a super bowl run. I guess HATERS are going to HATE. I know Ben's deep ball was off last year but, this is a new year let's see what happens.
    As far as first ballot HOF QBs go, Ben probably is underrated amongst the general public.

With Steelers fans, it can be a little different. We’ve see him perform so many miracles under the greatest pressure that we expect him to always do it. Throughout his career it’s always seemed that there is no unwinnable game as long as he’s under center, so when we get a few games where he fails to pull out a victory we tend to think he’s lost his magic.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would not be surprised a little bit if it took him 4-5 years to get in the HOF. The media hates him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I would not be surprised a little bit if it took him 4-5 years to get in the HOF. The media hates him.
    The only possible way Ben doesn’t get in on the first ballot is if he retires the same year as Brady and Rodgers. Even then they’d probably put all three in.

As far as first ballot HOF QBs go, Ben probably is underrated amongst the general public.

With Steelers fans, it can be a little different. We’ve see him perform so many miracles under the greatest pressure that we expect him to always do it. Throughout his career it’s always seemed that there is no unwinnable game as long as he’s under center, so when we get a few games where he fails to pull out a victory we tend to think he’s lost his magic.
    The miracles have been few and far between the past 10 years. But I still remember them.