Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Dongsmith

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Alex Dongsmith

I’m not sure what game tape is going to inspire any GM to throw money at Bush in free agency.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’m not sure what game tape is going to inspire any GM to throw money at Bush in free agency.
    As we've seen in the past, the NFL has no shortages of coaches and GMs who think they are the ones who will finally unlock the potential of player X, who is talented but was just unlucky. If the player is young and fast, he is almost certain to attract that kind of attention from someone who is short a starting LB, unless he really bombed out.

Maybe Bush won't get huge offers based on his play so far - but I bet someone else will offer more than we'd want to pay. Probably just enough to piss you off, like the Jets will offer him $8 million a year. Is it outrageous money for a starter? No. Would you want to pay that much? Also no.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As we've seen in the past, the NFL has no shortages of coaches and GMs who think they are the ones who will finally unlock the potential of player X, who is talented but was just unlucky. If the player is young and fast, he is almost certain to attract that kind of attention from someone who is short a starting LB, unless he really bombed out.

Maybe Bush won't get huge offers based on his play so far - but I bet someone else will offer more than we'd want to pay. Probably just enough to piss you off, like the Jets will offer him $8 million a year. Is it outrageous money for a starter? No. Would you want to pay that much? Also no.
    While teams/GMs/Coaches think that about some players with potential, I don't see many examples where they're signed to big contracts. Can you think of any specific examples in recent history?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

While teams/GMs/Coaches think that about some players with potential, I don't see many examples where they're signed to big contracts. Can you think of any specific examples in recent history?
    If you mean guys that totally flopped, no ... someone will give them a second chance, but on a low-risk deal. On the other hand, if you have someone who has shown flashes, like, I don't know, Keenan Lewis, then someone will offer a starting job and pay accordingly.

I guess it depends on whether you think Bush has played like a total bust, or just ok. Even if he's played ok, a starter's salary on the free agent market is not cheap, even more if someone thinks he has "potential."

Basically, while I guess it's pretty unlikely people are going to be lining up to pay top dollar for Bush right now, it's likely *someone* will see him as a possible starter. And if he makes even a little bit of an improvement, it will be very easy to get caught in a Jason Worilds/Bud Dupree situation again.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know about that. His play has been uninspired for sure, but based on recent history, it's kind of like if you weren't thrilled with how a DB was playing but the alternative was Ryan Mundy.

Bush has a way to go before he's even worth a regular starter's salary. But he'll want more than that, and someone will pay him well based on name recognition and "potential," thinking a change of scenery will fix everything. So either he makes himself worth keeping or we've got a hole to fill anyway, and it's not going to be cheap.

It does seem like he is suffering some effects from the injury, whether physical or mental. So I'm still hoping this is not the best we see out of him.
    Like I said. He’s just a guy. You don’t throw money at “just a guy”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Devin Bush has so many holes in his game that are totally un-related to his injury status or rehab. Honestly, I think the young man is just dumb. Or at least football field dumb.

1. Spillane is playing "dimebacker" because he supposedly reads things better and times up his run fills and blitzes the best. I'm sorry, but that is absolutely unacceptable for an UDFA to read the game better than the top 10 pick.
    2. Bush, prior to his season, looked confused and lost in coverage often. The slightest stutter step, head shake, or misdirection would just send his mind into a loop and he'd often end up covering no one. This season, he finally looks like he might have an inkling of what offenses are trying to do and where receivers are trying to go. Again...seems kinda BS that it takes a top tier pick so long to understand what is going on during each play.
    3. This season...from the little I can see...he now just over-runs plays on his way to who knows where. It is like he is hauiing ass to a spot, but not noticing what is going on right in front of him. Again....seems like a processing problem that a top pick kinda shouldn't have.

Bush is athletic. Although, to be perfectly honest, it isn't athleticism that leaps of the screen at the NFL level. It could be game altering athleticism IF it was consistently directed to the proper spot from the first step of each play. And it just isn't. Bush doesn't have the all universe athletic profile of say a Shazier or even that JOK kid for the Browns or whoever you would like to name that lives in that rare space where they can take a false step and it doesn't matter.

I dunno....there is more than enough time for my impression to be demonstrated to be way the heck off base. But I just think Bush is not very smart at reading, diagnosing, and processing things in the NFL.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Devin Bush has so many holes in his game that are totally un-related to his injury status or rehab. Honestly, I think the young man is just dumb. Or at least football field dumb.
    Can't disagree.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

1. Spillane is playing "dimebacker" because he supposedly reads things better and times up his run fills and blitzes the best. I'm sorry, but that is absolutely unacceptable for an UDFA to read the game better than the top 10 pick.
    2. Bush, prior to his season, looked confused and lost in coverage often. The slightest stutter step, head shake, or misdirection would just send his mind into a loop and he'd often end up covering no one. This season, he finally looks like he might have an inkling of what offenses are trying to do and where receivers are trying to go. Again...seems kinda BS that it takes a top tier pick so long to understand what is going on during each play.
    3. This season...from the little I can see...he now just over-runs plays on his way to who knows where. It is like he is hauiing ass to a spot, but not noticing what is going on right in front of him. Again....seems like a processing problem that a top pick kinda shouldn't have.

Bush is athletic. Although, to be perfectly honest, it isn't athleticism that leaps of the screen at the NFL level. It could be game altering athleticism IF it was consistently directed to the proper spot from the first step of each play. And it just isn't. Bush doesn't have the all universe athletic profile of say a Shazier or even that JOK kid for the Browns or whoever you would like to name that lives in that rare space where they can take a false step and it doesn't matter.

I dunno....there is more than enough time for my impression to be demonstrated to be way the heck off base. But I just think Bush is not very smart at reading, diagnosing, and processing things in the NFL.
    You know, there is probably a lot of truth to that. I am likely giving too much credit to the drafting of Bush for the defense fixing its Achilles heel, and not enough credit to the guy next to him. It is a little silly to think that one guy being mediocre is what made the big difference for us. I am probably guilty of the same thing people were doing when they remembered the guys who came before Jeff Reed and concluded that Mr. Rage Against the Towel Dispenser was the only one who could ever kick a field goal for us. No, the other guys just had problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Like I said. He’s just a guy. You don’t throw money at “just a guy”.
    If he is no big loss to us, we'll be smart to let him take whatever offer he gets somewhere else. The situation really does have all the "just one more year to see if he gets it" markers all over it, though. I would definitely guess they'll pick up the fifth-year option for that reason. I really hope it doesn't get to the point of using tags (either franchise or tranny).
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So unpopular opinion but Edmunds has had more to do with success against TEs and passes over the middle.

Bush has flashed significant talent and the ability to make a big positive impact. But he’s just so inconsistent.

Honestly, the coaches will know what his development is. If they pick up his fifth year option, I think we can all relax and figure a sustainable breakout is just a stretch of good health away.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Edge players pass-rush win rate:
    (first 7 weeks of this season)

1. TJ Watt
    T-2. Dong Highscrub

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Edge players pass-rush win rate:
    (first 7 weeks of this season)

1. TJ Watt
    T-2. Dong Highscrub
    This was so shocking I had to look it up! I'm still not sure I believe it.

- - - Updated - - -

And even more eye-popping....

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The run stop stat doesn’t surprise me, Alex does a good job setting the edge (something his predecessor failed at) which is the main reason for that win rate IMO. I think TJ is better when he is doing it, but is dropped in this stat when he is either rushing the passer or in coverage and the opposing teams rush to his side.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

We have the dong sack. And, looking at those stats (posted by DesertSteel), the obvious question is: what do we call a run stuff?

the schlong stuff
    a meat stick
    a roddin tackle

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

There's a rumor that popped up that Melvin Ingram wants out of Pittsburgh because his playing time is down

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    There's a rumor that popped up that Melvin Ingram wants out of Pittsburgh because his playing time is down
    He'll be snoring in meetings soon and leaving the stadium at halftime.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I heard we turned down Mahomes for Ingram. Too much decline in his play lately. If the Cardinals get involved, they might send Kyler Murray for Ingram. We may have to throw in a R3 pick, but I think it's worth it.

I heard we turned down Mahomes for Ingram. Too much decline in his play lately. If the Cardinals get involved, they might send Kyler Murray for Ingram. We may have to throw in a R3 pick, but I think it's worth it.

in all seriousness I wonder if he thought he could beat out Highsmith for the starter reps, but since that didn't happen he's wanting out

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rappaport the only one reporting this. Wake me up when real news occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    my bad shoot, i didn't recognize it was ian crapreport otherwise i woulda ignored it

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    We have the dong sack. And, looking at those stats (posted by DesertSteel), the obvious question is: what do we call a run stuff?

the schlong stuff
    a meat stick
    a roddin tackle
    Funny shit! I could only hope to shamelessly imitate your comedic instinct, but remember (For when it spirals out of control), you started this...

penitrating(sic) in vein(sic)
    a log jam
    the Phil McCracken
    a wad cutter
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I like: the meat stick or the log jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    Funny shit! I could only hope to shamelessly imitate your comedic instinct, but remember (For when it spirals out of control), you started this...

penitrating(sic) in vein(sic)
    a log jam
    the Phil McCracken
    a wad cutter

Meat Stick!

Here's the RB over the left tackle...and OHHHHH!!! What a MEAT STICK! NO GAIN!! And the Steelers take over on downs!

Meat Stick!

Here's the RB over the left tackle...and OHHHHH!!! What a MEAT STICK! NO GAIN!! And the Steelers take over on downs!
    That is three nods for meat stick.

That said, I’m partial to log jammin’ .

Dongsmith had a meat stick late in the game that essentially ended a Browns drive.

It came a few plays after a BS roughing call. I call it BS, because they picked up a flag on a much more egregious hit put on Ben… not to mention the non-call helmet-to-helmet hit on Boswell. If the refs are going to call it one way, then call it that way for the entirety of the game; don’t change things in the final few minutes.

That roughing call was hot diarrhea.

I'm not certain that Watt did hit/push Baker into Dongsmith.

I'm not certain that Watt did hit/push Baker into Dongsmith.
    Oh, he certainly did.

That said, since a Steeler pushed the QB into the other Steeler, it would still technically be a penalty… but, not when it wasn’t called that way for the rest of the game.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I suspect there might be at least some truth to the story since Tomlin said he had a private conversation with Ingram but won’t reveal anything publicly about it.

If there was nothing to the story Tomlin would have said that he hadn’t heard anything from Ingram about it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I suspect there might be at least some truth to the story since Tomlin said he had a private conversation with Ingram but won’t reveal anything publicly about it.

If there was nothing to the story Tomlin would have said that he hadn’t heard anything from Ingram about it.
    That's fine but I don't trust Ian Makeupareport.