Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Dongsmith

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Alex Dongsmith

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Keith Butler has come out and stated something along these lines. Essentially, his top three OLBs are set (Watt, Highsmith, Ingram) and he’s going to let Danny Smith decide if they keep 4 or 5 OLBs.
    The wildcard in that mix is Marsh. I am not a big fan of his game, but he is one of those guys that some coaches like and will stick around and push a young talent off the roster. I think Roche needs to make the 53 and Jones I like, but he has a shot at sticking on the practice squad if they only keep 4.

But Marsh is like the Carey Davis of OLB's and could also end up making it at that position.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Dongsmith dominated against the Cowgirls:

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

BUMP!!!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Well, the Lions basically held him on every play. I believe that makes him as good as James Harrison.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He’s markedly thicker and more muscular than last year. He’s ready to be Robin to Batman!

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He’s markedly thicker and more muscular than last year. He’s ready to be Robin to Batman!
    after Robin came out of closet last week the Donger might want a different analogy.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The Donger received the only A+ preseason rating since Steelers Depot started doing it in 2017.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/08/20...s-linebackers/

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The wildcard in that mix is Marsh. I am not a big fan of his game, but he is one of those guys that some coaches like and will stick around and push a young talent off the roster. I think Roche needs to make the 53 and Jones I like, but he has a shot at sticking on the practice squad if they only keep 4.

But Marsh is like the Carey Davis of OLB's and could also end up making it at that position.
    If it’s true that Danny Smith gets to choose the final OLB, Marsh would probably have the edge over Roche because he’s better on special teams.

But if neither one is likely to get a hat on game day, Roche might be more likely to get snatched by another team if they try to put him on the PS. I’m not really sure though.

Maybe this Carolina game with decide it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I like to root for guys to make the 53 as much as the rest of you. But if a player doesn't make it and gets put on the PS I usually forget about him then. If another team raids the PS I'm usually ok with that too. How often do guys rise from PS to upgrade the 53 typically? Good luck to all, play hard and ice up.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    after Robin came out of closet last week the Donger might want a different analogy.
    He can be Harrison's WoodenDong?

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    The Donger received the only A+ preseason rating since Steelers Depot started doing it in 2017.
    He'll never be a Winged-God if he doesn't get a "Hard Hat Award," of which no one has earned since Dec 23rd of 2013, so yeah... Let's see him do that. And don't give me: "Uh... they just quit doing that schtick" because you'll clearly end up not knowing crap about the mind-altering processes these judges subject themselves to during this time-honored tradition of gourmet prestige, literally. He's literally not even rated, along with any other Stiller for literally the past 7 + 1/2 years.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    He'll never be a Winged-God if he doesn't get a "Hard Hat Award," of which no one has earned since Dec 23rd of 2013, so yeah... Let's see him do that. And don't give me: "Uh... they just quit doing that schtick" because you'll clearly end up not knowing crap about the mind-altering processes these judges subject themselves to during this time-honored tradition of gourmet prestige, literally. He's literally not even rated, along with any other Stiller for literally the past 7 + 1/2 years.
    For those who get this, it’s GOLD!!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Well he now has more sacks than Bud Dupree: Bud has zero through 6 games (unless something changes in the last 2 mins of this Buffalo game). Glad we didn't pay that man

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Well he now has more sacks than Bud Dupree: Bud has zero through 6 games (unless something changes in the last 2 mins of this Buffalo game). Glad we didn't pay that man
    It is likely good they didn’t back the Brinks truck up for Dupree but he’s only played in parts of two games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It is likely good they didn’t back the Brinks truck up for Dupree but he’s only played in parts of two games.
    Okay but he has zero sacks in those two games. I’m no math wizard but by my calculations at his current pace he’ll have zero sacks by the end of the season.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Dupree tore his ACL less than a year ago, it takes time to come back from those things. Hell we're seeing it now with Bush. The missed time, plus the normalcy of being hesitant(thinking about the knee). Major injuries suck.

On Highsmith, he's been playing very well but hopefully the sacks now start coming around.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

I'm torn, I want Alex to succeed and earn his payday, but on the other hand that means he probably won't stay here for the second contract. I wish Bud nothing but the best, except when he plays against Steelers. By all accords, humble and nice guy.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

After the game, TJ was talking about how Dong looked good all through camp and that Dong is just starting to get his groin healthy… and we saw the results: 1.5 sacks and 4 hits on the QB.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    I'm torn, I want Alex to succeed and earn his payday, but on the other hand that means he probably won't stay here for the second contract. I wish Bud nothing but the best, except when he plays against Steelers. By all accords, humble and nice guy.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока
    I don't think you could afford to pay both your #1 OLB and your dong OLB a big contract, especially when you probably need to pay Bush also in a couple years. You kind of have to pay Watt and hope he commands enough attention that whoever is on the other side will be an effective dong. It would be a mistake to spend big $$$ or high draft picks on the dong position now unless we think that guy will eventually replace Watt.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't think you could afford to pay both your #1 OLB and your dong OLB a big contract, especially when you probably need to pay Bush also in a couple years. You kind of have to pay Watt and hope he commands enough attention that whoever is on the other side will be an effective dong. It would be a mistake to spend big $$$ or high draft picks on the dong position now unless we think that guy will eventually replace Watt.
    Is anyone convinced that they would give Bush a big contract? Your point is still somewhat valid though because they still have to pay Minkah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is anyone convinced that they would give Bush a big contract? Your point is still somewhat valid though because they still have to pay Minkah.
    I wouldn’t pay Bush big $$$ so far. Could change but not so far.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The thing of it is though, TJ Watt is such a major game wrecker that he can elevate the other OLB across from him, you don't need an all-pro outside of Watt. Bud Dupree was a perfect example. The guy didn't do shit in Pittsburgh until TJ Watt turned into the best edge rusher in the game and he isn't doing shit in Tennessee now.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

They won't need to pay Bush like Watt, but they'll have to pay him something of significance. He may not be knocking our socks off, but you ask yourself, would you rather have this guy on the team or not, and to me that's an easy one. Our defense demands at least one ILB who's a super fast blue-chip athlete, and for a long time we have not had much success finding those guys outside the top half of Round 1. So unless we want to have ILB be that kind of priority again, my guess is we'll pay the guy who does that job "good enough."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

They won't need to pay Bush like Watt, but they'll have to pay him something of significance. He may not be knocking our socks off, but you ask yourself, would you rather have this guy on the team or not, and to me that's an easy one. Our defense demands at least one ILB who's a super fast blue-chip athlete, and for a long time we have not had much success finding those guys outside the top half of Round 1. So unless we want to have ILB be that kind of priority again, my guess is we'll pay the guy who does that job "good enough."
    If Bush keeps playing like he has been, I’d rather they try again to find the guy at ILB. Not chase Bush with big $$$ as a sunk cost.

He doesn’t make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He moves well in space but doesn’t make plays in coverage.

What does he do well? Unless he is still working back from his injury, he looks like he can run but it doesn’t lead to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If Bush keeps playing like he has been, I’d rather they try again to find the guy at ILB. Not chase Bush with big $$$ as a sunk cost.

He doesn’t make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He moves well in space but doesn’t make plays in coverage.

What does he do well? Unless he is still working back from his injury, he looks like he can run but it doesn’t lead to much.
    You are right that he has not been the kind of playmaker Shazier or Timmons were. That's been disappointing.

On the other hand, the one difference that is HUGE and very noticeable is that the defense no longer gets embarrassed by underneath stuff to the TE/RB/#3-4 receiver/whoever because the linebackers are too slow. When we were relying on Williams and Bostic and assorted stopgap players - that could be exploited at will any time an opponent needed a first down. It was like teams could run the Oregon offense on us and we couldn't do anything about it; just maddening. So at least he has helped put an end to that.

But then it comes down to money. I said I would like to have him back if we could sign him for a fair price. But will he take a fair price? I have my doubts. I wouldn't want to pay him $13 million a year with $40 million guaranteed, but that may be the choice we get. When we drafted him, there was already talk that he wanted to become a high-flying, high-paid, football-player-slash-Brand type of personality. And we probably made the pick hoping for the home run scenario where he plays like a generational superstar, and we pay him whatever he wants, and he's so good it's worth it anyway, and everyone is gleefully throwing $100 bills in the air and not even giving a shit because the defense is kicking asshole. But this situation, where he's playing pretty good ... yeah, that's probably going to put his expectations and our expectations at odds with each other.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

You are right that he has not been the kind of playmaker Shazier or Timmons were. That's been disappointing.

On the other hand, the one difference that is HUGE and very noticeable is that the defense no longer gets embarrassed by underneath stuff to the TE/RB/#3-4 receiver/whoever because the linebackers are too slow. When we were relying on Williams and Bostic and assorted stopgap players - that could be exploited at will any time an opponent needed a first down. It was like teams could run the Oregon offense on us and we couldn't do anything about it; just maddening. So at least he has helped put an end to that.

But then it comes down to money. I said I would like to have him back if we could sign him for a fair price. But will he take a fair price? I have my doubts. I wouldn't want to pay him $13 million a year with $40 million guaranteed, but that may be the choice we get. When we drafted him, there was already talk that he wanted to become a high-flying, high-paid, football-player-slash-Brand type of personality. And we probably made the pick hoping for the home run scenario where he plays like a generational superstar, and we pay him whatever he wants, and he's so good it's worth it anyway, and everyone is gleefully throwing $100 bills in the air and not even giving a shit because the defense is kicking asshole. But this situation, where he's playing pretty good ... yeah, that's probably going to put his expectations and our expectations at odds with each other.
    Agreed. Bush is a highly useful contributor to the overall success of the defense. But I suspect he leaves town seeking bigger dollars elsewhere. But...I have been on a pretty poor streak of predicting these things. Plus they have a bit to get it all sorted out.

I'm willing to be patient with Bush since he's coming off an ACL, and he had a good rookie season. If he doesn't work out I'm optimistic on Buddy Johnson

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No point in paying Bush anything if this is what he is going to produce (or not produce). Schoebert is more than capable and find another guy to go next to him. That’s all Bush is at the moment…just a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No point in paying Bush anything if this is what he is going to produce (or not produce). Schoebert is more than capable and find another guy to go next to him. That’s all Bush is at the moment…just a guy.
    I don't know about that. His play has been uninspired for sure, but based on recent history, it's kind of like if you weren't thrilled with how a DB was playing but the alternative was Ryan Mundy.

Bush has a way to go before he's even worth a regular starter's salary. But he'll want more than that, and someone will pay him well based on name recognition and "potential," thinking a change of scenery will fix everything. So either he makes himself worth keeping or we've got a hole to fill anyway, and it's not going to be cheap.

It does seem like he is suffering some effects from the injury, whether physical or mental. So I'm still hoping this is not the best we see out of him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

i just hope he's not the next Artie Burns, pretty good his rookie year then a dumpster fire from there on out (Bush that is)