Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our offensive line scares me

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Our offensive line scares me

Going into this season our offensive lines scares the crap out of me. If the line can play decent I like our chances but from what others are writing about camp it appears as if N.Harris is going to be running for his life this year.

Of course nothing really matters until a real snap but still.

Someone that has watched camp calm me down.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Our offensive line scares me

From what I’m hearing…

Dotson & Turner may not be very good at pulling. But, straight-line, Dotson is a people mover (and Turner used to be pretty good).

Green looks like a steal. He can move and is immovable (uses his leverage to negate the NT).

Until his injury, Banner was the starter at RT last year. They’ve been cautious with him.

Okorofor seems to be a better playing at LT than he was at RT.

From what I’m hearing, there’s a LOT of pre-snap movement… and the players aren’t “used” to it. Ergo, they look sloppy. But, when they get into position, they can indeed block “with purpose”.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

From what I've read, I think they're trying to be scary.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

With 4 new offensive line starters, I think anyone who doesn't expect there to be problems early on at least are extremely idealistic at best. Hopefully, they gel before the end of the season

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    With 4 new offensive line starters, I think anyone who doesn't expect there to be problems early on at least are extremely idealistic at best. Hopefully, they gel before the end of the season
    Agreed. I see the running game starting slow in the first half of the season, but I also see it catching stride in the second half. It has to, or Canada will have a short lived job.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

My thoughts, if Ben didn’t call it quits, knowing he has a completely new OL, he must have some comfort factor. I would be so out of there if I thought I was going to get killed at 39 years old. So I will wait and see……with a certain amount of optimism?!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

But Najee has the suddenness and glide, and the size to beat off defenders

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    But Najee has the suddenness and glide, and the size to beat off defenders
    Lol you said "beat off"

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Lol you said "beat off"

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I know it’s immature……but I laughed at that too.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

hopefully the starters can get on field at same time at some point. My expectations aren’t as high this year so a winning season and playoffs will be a bonus. Still excited for football though.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There will be growing pains as they learn to play together, but individually these five players are an upgrade over last season’s starting five.

I get that O-line is more about the gestalt than the structure… but, I’m confident that they will indeed gel.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'll repeat my BOLD prediction from an earlier thread...."The Steelers OL will finish in the top5 in 2021".

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

AV and Pouncey looked done, DD was playing hurt and is done

They saw the need to get a new line coach so coaching must’ve been a problem last season

They’re going to be noticeably better than last year

not Worried about Dotson and Chuks, nor Banner, he played well before he got hurt

Question is will Turner return to his pro bowl level?
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 08-05-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    From what I’m hearing…

Dotson & Turner may not be very good at pulling. But, straight-line, Dotson is a people mover (and Turner used to be pretty good).

Green looks like a steal. He can move and is immovable (uses his leverage to negate the NT).

Until his injury, Banner was the starter at RT last year. They’ve been cautious with him.

From what I’m hearing, there’s a LOT of pre-snap movement… and the players aren’t “used” to it. Ergo, they look sloppy. But, when they get into position, they can indeed block “with purpose”.
    What is your source for any of this?

Dotson hasn't played a snap. How could have anyone made an evaluation of his pulling ability? He appears to still be in the doghouse, since Rashaad Coward has taken all the first team reps.

Haven't seen or heard anything with regard to Trai Turner's pulling ability. With most of the drills going against air, it is very difficult to tell if anyone is doing what is expected.

People that I know personally that have been at camp say Kendrick Green looks raw at Center, and has had more than one bad snap. Opinions are like . . . well, you know, and everyone has one, so these fan reports from acquaintances of mine should be taken with a grain of salt. Except for the bad snaps, which have been reported. Hard to classify a third rounder as a steal anyway.

Chuks also hasn't played a snap. What you said sounds like a loose interpretation of what Kevin Colbert said in an interview about last year's battle for the Right Tackle position, ultimately won by Banner.

Nobody from last year's line has practiced much, if at all. Nobody could be used to pre-snap movement. The line looks sloppy because there has been a lot of shuffling of positions, including a Tackle who won't make the team (John Leglue) taking reps at Center. The fact that there is a lot of pre-snap movement in Matt Canada's offense is obvious. We knew that before camp started.

Everything that happens at camp is covered ad nauseum and repeated in broadcast, print and internet media. What could you possibly be "hearing" that we haven't read about, and from whom are you "hearing" things?

I was there on the 31st. It is very difficult to see what is going on from the seats at Heinz Field, as compared to the grass hill at St. Vincent's. Four different groups practicing or going through drills at the same time adds to that difficulty. Without the benefit of knowing what the coaches want to see in a particular drill, it is difficult for the untrained and unknowing eye to discern if a player is performing up to expectations or not. The one-handed catches, interceptions, and big hits are exceptions of course. There have been some "ooh and ahh" moments from players who will getting on with their life's work soon.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers offensive line remains a huge issue

Many Steelers fans wonder if the offensive line has really been looking as bad as some of the media has said that it has so far during training camp. Let me confirm that this is a massive area of concern – the biggest on the team, in fact.

Pittsburgh’s offense suffered through poor offensive line play in 2020 and finished 32nd in the NFL in rushing as a result. While the Steelers should theoretically be better at running the football this year, the offensive line is more concerning to me than it has been in a very long time.

Rookie offensive tackle Dan Moore Jr. and center Kendrick Green have been taking nearly all of the first-team reps, but the results have been less than desirable. Moore has been routinely torched by Alex Highsmith in OL vs DL drills, while Green has had his fair share of trouble trying to handle Tyson Alualu.

In addition, Kevin Dotson and Chukwuma Okorafor have yet to practice with the team and have been doing individual workouts on the sideline while Zach Banner has been limited in team sessions. Even if Pittsburgh’s offensive line does get healthy before the start of the season, this unit has four new starters who haven’t even played a snap together yet. This could get ugly.

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/08/04/...aining-camp/4/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

My biggest fear about this team and have little to no confidence right now that it will be good. Hopefully some of the more positive thinkers are correct here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

From what I’m hearing…

@one_side_only

My sources are eclectic. Some beat writers (Fittipaldi, Pruista, Dunlap, Wexell, etc.). Others are bloggers with field passes (Farabaugh, Kozora, etc). A few are NFL analysts (Baldinger, former O-linemen).

GUARDS STRUGGLING WITH PULLING: Every report states this. They also like how the individual linemen are “finishing” blocks (which is what I meant by blocking “with purpose”). My statement about them gelling once they become more familiar with Canada’s offense is hopeful conjecture on my part.

DOTSON: Baldinger (and a few other analysts) highlighted Dotson last season, saying he’s a people mover. He was PFF’s starting guard on their all-rookie team.

TURNER: He has many Pro Bowl appearances; he used to be good… and I am hopeful that he regains his form.

GREEN: Pick a name out of a hat; they are all saying the same things about our new center.

OKORAFOR: Colbert said it last year and this year. Many stated it (even people on here) throughout the season. Nothing has changed in that regard.

BANNER: He did indeed win the starting RT job at the beginning of last season, and they have not been rushing him onto the field.

SUMMATION: Maybe I wasn’t clear. Part of my “prediction” comes from last year’s performances… and not solely from this year’s camp.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah that's why a lot of so called experts don't expect much from the Steelers this year. I'm more of a wait and see type of person.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

tonight's probable starting OL:

Moore Jr. - Coward - Green - Turner - Haeg

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

well who's ready to watch the 3rd/4th string tonight? lol still excited, cause football

I wanna see Haskins / Rudolph play

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

well who's ready to watch the 3rd/4th string tonight? lol still excited, cause football

I wanna see Haskins / Rudolph play
    I think we will see a lot of 2's and 3's playing for solidifying that 2nd string. Late in the game it could be anything goes.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    tonight's probable starting OL:

Moore Jr. - Coward - Green - Turner - Haeg
    I’m glad Ben isn’t playing.

It will be interesting to see what Najee can do behind this ragtag group of scamps.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I’m glad Ben isn’t playing.

It will be interesting to see what Najee can do behind this ragtag group of scamps.
    Kinda hoping Najee only gets a series or 2. Don't want to see him take too many hits, but definitely excited to see him play.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Kinda hoping Najee only gets a series or 2. Don't want to see him take too many hits, but definitely excited to see him play.
    Anything more than 2 carries is too much…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Anything more than 2 carries is too much…
    Well I expect back to back 3 and outs on the opening drives, so you might be right on there. But hey, maybe the light has finally turned on for Mason Rudolph. Ha!

cut samuels

cut samuels
    he's as good as gone.

On one of Harris’ runs, Green blocked a guy/pushed a guy 20 yards out of the way.

Did he need to? No
    Is that his mindset? Yes

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

On one of Harris’ runs, Green blocked a guy/pushed a guy 20 yards out of the way.

Did he need to? No
    Is that his mindset? Yes
    Why didn’t Najee follow him? Would have been a 20 yard gain.

Speaking of O-lines, the Chiefs got a steal in R6: Trey Smith

Medical concerns scared teams off (and they might still affect him), but Smith is making the Chiefs D-line look like ragdolls. Smith at OG, plus the free agent additions of Orlando Brown and Joe Thuney, and drafting Creed Humphrey… the Chiefs likely have the BEST O-line in football. YIKES!!!