Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "RB is a wasted pick"

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

"RB is a wasted pick"

I hear this a lot every draft, and I admit, I even started to believe it a little myself. However, anybody notice the huge drop off in production whenever Najee isn't the one carrying the ball? The level of talent is obvious. Even though the line's blocking is below par, there's a lot of yardage that Najee seems to make on his own, a lot of it after contact, or winning those 1on1 battles that are rarely done by Snell / Ballage/ McFarland. I for one am glad we drafted Harris.

Also I used to think Snell was a power runner, but he doesn't push the pile like Harris does. Dude is a beast.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Re: "RB is a wasted pick"

The pick is looking more and more like the right one. If we can upgrade the OL a little more next season it could be scary how great this running game could be.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Harris is a beast and I think he'll be a 1200-1400 yard back for 4-5 years, but at his rate of usage, there's no way I'd sign him for a second contract. The RB position is different than all other R1 picks, where you expect 8-10 years.

Overall, I'm pleased with Harris. I'm not sure he'll end of being the best back out of the draft. I'm really impressed with Williams out of NC (Denver).

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think we also have to consider what Najee brings to the passing game as well. He isn't just a RB, he's an offensive weapon worthy of a first round pick (just don't let him talk to Leveon Bell's agent about that).

He's averaging 107.4 yards from scrimmage a game, and that's with the O-line getting off to a very shaky start. I don't think anyone can say that some other random RB we put back there could do that. The only RBs in the NFL with more yards from scrimmage are King Henry and Jonathan Taylor. Not to mention Najee has only played in 7 games so far.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Shhhhhhh Fire Goodell. That doesn't fit the narrative of the Najee is a bust/We shoulda drafted every o-linemen listed crowd.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

On Freiermuth’s TD, Najee helped block Myles Garrett… which was HUGE.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    On Freiermuth’s TD, Najee helped block Myles Garrett… which was HUGE.
    This is why we should just stop with the empty backfield sets going forward, Ben had plenty of time on that throw and wasn’t rushing it, keeping a TE and RB in on passing downs gives Ben more time and more outlets on check down with NH and PF while allowing the WRs to hopefully get open. I understand it makes the defenses job easier, but currently Ben has to throw in less than 3s every play and that is not working.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Now imagine him if we build a line.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Saquon Barkley

Derrick Henry

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Snell was never anything (is nothing) more than a slow runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Chuba Hubbard should have his own bubble gum company.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I hear this a lot every draft, and I admit, I even started to believe it a little myself. However, anybody notice the huge drop off in production whenever Najee isn't the one carrying the ball? The level of talent is obvious. Even though the line's blocking is below par, there's a lot of yardage that Najee seems to make on his own, a lot of it after contact, or winning those 1on1 battles that are rarely done by Snell / Ballage/ McFarland. I for one am glad we drafted Harris.

Also I used to think Snell was a power runner, but he doesn't push the pile like Harris does. Dude is a beast.
    Everything goes in cycles, especially in the nfl. There was a time when it was a wasted pick. But as offenses have rotated to more pass heavy schemes and defenses have moved to smaller faster linebackers or changed to a nickel or dime look, the running back position has become much more important again. I remember a time when the tight end was almost an afterthought. Now, however, as we've seen with our own offense, it's a pretty important position again.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Rookie Najee Harris phenomenal in his approach to the game

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202111060045

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Yeah, I bet the Colts dont regret drafting Jonathan Taylor the season before either.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

James Connor had a beast of a game today 96 rushing yards, 77 receiving yards and 3 TDs

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    James Connor had a beast of a game today 96 rushing yards, 77 receiving yards and 3 TDs
    Made of Glass
    Soft
    Waste of pick.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Made of Glass
    Soft
    Waste of pick.
    I wanted to keep him, he was the only good RB on the roster the last couple years. He always produced when healthy, maybe not cut out to be a feature back, but perfect in a 1-2

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Made of Glass
    Soft
    Waste of pick.
    Seems to be holding up fine in Arizona...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Seems to be holding up fine in Arizona...

He isn’t a workhorse in Arizona. Mostly a goal line back when Edmonds is healthy.

But I’m certainly happy for him that he’s doing well. Hard not to root for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    He isn’t a workhorse in Arizona. Mostly a goal line back when Edmonds is healthy.

But I’m certainly happy for him that he’s doing well. Hard not to root for him.
    That’s not totally true. It’s pretty much a RBBC process down there with the majority of rushes going to Conner.

That’s not totally true. It’s pretty much a RBBC process down there with the majority of rushes going to Conner.
    Well Edmonds is injured again so it looks like Conner will be the guy for awhile. I hope he does well.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I wanted to keep him, he was the only good RB on the roster the last couple years. He always produced when healthy, maybe not cut out to be a feature back, but perfect in a 1-2
    This. He would've been good insurance. I think he was at his best when we still had Bell.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

RB is a fashionable position to downplay because "the game has changed," kind of like DT. People like to say that and feel all smart, like they're some wizened student of the game of football.

The truth is, a good player is going to make an impact if you get him on the field. It's true that the traits that make someone a "good" running back have changed over time, just as what makes a good DT has changed. Just as there is not as much use for an "anchor" run-stuffing nose tackle these days, there is not a lot of use for a straight-ahead, grind-it-out type of running back. Mostly, there is not a lot of room for one-dimensional players. But take a DT who is disruptive or an RB who keeps the defense off-guard, and they will have as much impact as any other position, no matter what you call them.

It's also likely that people see how even mediocre RBs can often put up decent numbers in today's NFL, and think there's no reason to make it a priority. And it's true that if you had the worst RB in the league, it will not be nearly as bad for you as having the worst QB in the league, or the worst line in the league. But an impact player is an impact player. If you can get one, you're much better off than if you had one of those middle-of-the-road RBs who basically just go as the offense in general goes.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well Edmonds is injured again so it looks like Conner will be the guy for awhile. I hope he does well.
    Even when he was healthy it was still a RBBC. Regardless, I also hope Conner does well. Would’ve been a nice complement to Najee and would’ve rather kept him then some of the other guys on this roster.

Even when he was healthy it was still a RBBC. Regardless, I also hope Conner does well. Would’ve been a nice complement to Najee and would’ve rather kept him then some of the other guys on this roster.
    Yeah, I think Conner is at his best when he's part of a tandem and not counted on to be an every down back. He would be a nice luxury to have. I cringe every time Benny Snell gets a hand off. Especially last night on the first play after the change of a quarter when Harris doesn't actually need a break. What is up with that?

But Conner is probably better off in Arizona getting all of their TDs. I doubt he'd get nearly as much action here unless something happened to Najee.

Yeah, I think Conner is at his best when he's part of a tandem and not counted on to be an every down back. He would be a nice luxury to have. I cringe every time Benny Snell gets a hand off. Especially last night on the first play after the change of a quarter when Harris doesn't actually need a break. What is up with that?

But Conner is probably better off in Arizona getting all of their TDs. I doubt he'd get nearly as much action here unless something happened to Najee.
    Snell got 6 yards on 2 carries, which is better than his normal compilations of 1 yard runs. But its actually better than Najee 2.8 YPC , so maybe Snell is the new feature RB by his stats??

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Snell got 6 yards on 2 carries, which is better than his normal compilations of 1 yard runs. But its actually better than Najee 2.8 YPC , so maybe Snell is the new feature RB by his stats??
    Najee's YPC is a sore spot with me. Everyone seems to be giving it a pass, but it's a concern for me. Snell comparison notwithstanding. I need to see Najee get to 4+ before I get too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Najee's YPC is a sore spot with me. Everyone seems to be giving it a pass, but it's a concern for me. Snell comparison notwithstanding. I need to see Najee get to 4+ before I get too excited.
    I noticed several plays where Najee was caught in the backfield due to failure by the O-line. Not sure if Barry Sanders could have gotten positive yardage, so I don’t think his low average is entirely his fault.
    Last edited by HollywoodSteel; 11-12-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The "wasted pick" idea is not so much (at least for me) that RBs aren't really useful, but in context to the rest of a draft class.

Here is the RB class: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/r...021-nfl-draft/

So what is the gap between Harris and Williams? Or Harris and Hubbard?

I really thought Stevenson and Sermon would be a way to spend less draft capital on the position and achieve similar on the field results. So far...that is not a good opinion.

But then look back at Lacy and Bell. Lacy in the first was "wrong" especially when compared to Bell. Or look at the Chiefs at CEH. Wonder if they would like that pick back and take an OL or literally anyone on defense?

I still think the gap between the first RB selected in a class and the guys in the middle is not often large enough to justify the pick. The gap between the 2nd safety taken and the 5th safety taken is often far larger.