Thread: Training Camp Depth Chart Released.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Training Camp Depth Chart Released.

From the HomePage: https://www.steelers.com/news/camp-o...chart-released

This should hopefully spark some interesting football conversation as TC goes along.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Training Camp Depth Chart Released.

Brooks as the slot corner is interesting.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Also sounds like the HOF game will not be an indicator of a true depth chart either. Coaching staff sounding like it is play all the younglings and see what they can do.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

J.C. Hassenauer listed as the first team Center. Not a likely outcome in reality. Both J. C. and B. J. walked off the field with injuries today. With Kendrick Green given the day off, John Leglue and Anthony Coyle filled in at Center.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Some of that depth concerns me. Mainly Safety and ILB. Also Benny Snell as the #2...yikes...lets hope that switches up to Ballage or someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Benny Snell as the #2...yikes...lets hope that switches up to Ballage or someone else...
    If the Rams trade rumors have any teeth, then the Steelers would get more in return for a “#2” than they would for the third-string RB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ury-nfl-rumors

This article says Snell could bring a late round draft pick in trade to the Rams. The depth at RB is sickly thin already. (Snell, McFarland, Samuels, Ballage) I'm not necessarily against trading Snell, I was for trading away/cutting Snell and Samuels and keeping Conner. But we are where we are. Harris is the rookie wonder boy with a lot of eggs in his basket, but if he should miss time for some reason....

I already think another RB needs to be brought in for depth. Trading away what we have for a future late round pick doesn't seem wise to me today. I'm still a fan of the Duke Johnson idea. And I'm not completely checked out on Bryce Love. I could see both guys have success in a Matt Canada motion offense.

Maybe trade Snell for a late round pick AND sign Johnson/Love for depth?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ury-nfl-rumors

This article says Snell could bring a late round draft pick in trade to the Rams. The depth at RB is sickly thin already. (Snell, McFarland, Samuels, Ballage) I'm not necessarily against trading Snell, I was for trading away/cutting Snell and Samuels and keeping Conner. But we are where we are. Harris is the rookie wonder boy with a lot of eggs in his basket, but if he should miss time for some reason....

I already think another RB needs to be brought in for depth. Trading away what we have for a future late round pick doesn't seem wise to me today. I'm still a fan of the Duke Johnson idea. And I'm not completely checked out on Bryce Love. I could see both guys have success in a Matt Canada motion offense.

Maybe trade Snell for a late round pick AND sign Johnson/Love for depth?
    Unless Matt Canada has some secret sauce that will improve Snell, I would trade him for a draft pick in a heartbeat. Snell is the definition, for me, of just a guy. I think you replicated his value already in Ballage. Honestly, I feel like either I am missing something or the rumors of the Rams interest in him are likely false/overblown. I feel like if the Rams scouting department is up to snuff, they can find 4 guys that could produce like Snell does in the NFL fairly readily.

For the Steelers, Harris/McFarland/Ballage/Samuels is likely going to be the grouping. So why not move Snell for something....

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

not sure why ANYONE would trade for a guy like Snell when there are guys who will come with low wear on the tires at a low price with zero draft capital spent such as Ito Smith ( more NFL production ) still young not much wear and tare and has been productive and he is a free agent ...

then there are tons of others that have more experience Bell , Gurley , Peterson , Gore , Morris , who's better days are behind them but could still step in and give you a days work and decent production

Dion Lewis and Ty Montgomery a few other guys who has some ability sitting at home right now ...

and all those guys can be brought in as street free agents and not cost you any draft capital and quite frankly all are better ( even the OLD guys ) than Snell ..
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

not sure why ANYONE would trade for a guy like Snell when there are guys who will come with low wear on the tires at a low price with zero draft capital spent such as Ito Smith ( more NFL production ) still young not much wear and tare and has been productive and he is a free agent ...

then there are tons of others that have more experience Bell , Gurley , Peterson , Gore , Morris , who's better days are behind them but could still step in and give you a days work and decent production

Dion Lewis and Ty Montgomery a few other guys who has some ability sitting at home right now ...

and all those guys can be brought in as street free agents and not cost you any draft capital and quite frankly all are better ( even the OLD guys ) than Snell ..
    Absolutely. And if you are shopping with draft picks...why not aim higher than Benny Snell? The article that was linked to mentioned James Robinson and Sony Michel. I would totally rather see my team send even a mid round pick out to bring one of those two in then Benn Snell.

Of course, this means that Benny Snell is on track to rush for 1200+ yards and double digit TDs this year because I know jack about football most times!

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Snell is not a bad running back. He's never had anything to work with as far as an offensive line. Imo, he isn't going anywhere.

The red on this chart are the things that seem to hold Snell back. He just isn't quick enough to compete in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Imagine if we brought back Bell on a dirt cheap deal... I know, I know... sacrilege. But his blocking and receiving skills alone make him far more valuable than anyone we currently have behind Harris. I think he could still be a very good third down back. And let’s be honest, in the modern NFL you simply can’t have just one workhorse back who takes all the snaps.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If the Rams trade rumors have any teeth, then the Steelers would get more in return for a “#2” than they would for the third-string RB.
    Good point…

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Snell is not a bad running back. He's never had anything to work with as far as an offensive line. Imo, he isn't going anywhere.
    Snell is bad.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If that’s how it works we should list him as #1 on the depth chart. Maybe get a first rounder for him.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't really see the value in trading Snell for a late round pick unless another running back flashes in the preseason. Is he a starter in the NFL? No, but he was effective last year when we had a running game and as a short term backup that's about all you can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    I don't really see the value in trading Snell for a late round pick unless another running back flashes in the preseason. Is he a starter in the NFL? No, but he was effective last year when we had a running game and as a short term backup that's about all you can expect.
    I imagine the presumption is that if we do trade Snell we’d also have to make a move to pick up another RB of hopefully equal or greater value as a number 2. I don’t think anyone is suggesting we go into the season with our current stable of RBs minus Snell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Unless Matt Canada has some secret sauce that will improve Snell, I would trade him for a draft pick in a heartbeat. Snell is the definition, for me, of just a guy. I think you replicated his value already in Ballage. Honestly, I feel like either I am missing something or the rumors of the Rams interest in him are likely false/overblown. I feel like if the Rams scouting department is up to snuff, they can find 4 guys that could produce like Snell does in the NFL fairly readily.

For the Steelers, Harris/McFarland/Ballage/Samuels is likely going to be the grouping. So why not move Snell for something....
    Yep, I'm just saying even as bad as Snell may be he would be missed with even less at backup behind Harris, should Harris have to miss time. I think another RB needs to be brought in to strengthen the room behind Harris whether or not Snell gets traded. We all pretty much talked about Samuels being pointless last season, and now we seem to be throwing Snell onto that pile with Samuels this year. I'm just pointing out there are a lot of eggs in the Najee Harris RB basket. With the focus on improving the running game, there has to be a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yep, I'm just saying even as bad as Snell may be he would be missed with even less at backup behind Harris, should Harris have to miss time. I think another RB needs to be brought in to strengthen the room behind Harris whether or not Snell gets traded. We all pretty much talked about Samuels being pointless last season, and now we seem to be throwing Snell onto that pile with Samuels this year. I'm just pointing out there are a lot of eggs in the Najee Harris RB basket. With the focus on improving the running game, there has to be a plan B.
    I think Canada is the answer to a number of those concerns. He made both Samuels and McFarland into offensive weapons in college. If he can even just up their games a little bit in the pros…and I’m not sure that Ballage isn’t better than Snell.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Snell is on the roster bubble. Why trade for a guy that might be cut? There are other guys out there better than Snell who might get cut. The only incentive for the Rams to make a trade for anybody now is that they want to give a new guy reps before the pre-season is over. Still, I can't believe Benny Snell has any trade value at this time.

So much for the Snell to the Rams rumors. I think Sony Michel for a 5 is a little bit better than Snell for a 5…no?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So much for the Snell to the Rams rumors. I think Sony Michel for a 5 is a little bit better than Snell for a 5…no?

actually its Michel for a 5 and 6 that will turn into a 4 if the Rams gets a 4th round comp pick ( they do not currently own a 4th in 2022 ) but the point is still valid IMO Michel is greater than Snell regardless of compensation within reason......
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Is Jacksonville looking for another RB with Etienne going down? I still don’t think Snell or Samuels has any real trade value.

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Is Jacksonville looking for another RB with Etienne going down? I still don’t think Snell or Samuels has any real trade value.
    No...They have NO value.They're gonna have a hard time making our roster!