Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers To Host Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers To Host Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram

The Steelers added a former Chargers Pro Bowler to bolster depth at a key position this summer, signing longtime guard Trai Turner to replace the departed David DeCastro. Now, they might do it again. Nearly a month after Turner's arrival, Pittsburgh is preparing to host free agent pass rusher Melvin Ingram, who spent the first nine years of his career with Los Angeles, on a visit this week. That's according to CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora, who reported Sunday that the Steelers are seeking help at that spot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...sw8lb60OYvrFHM

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers To Host Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram

I laughed at the word arguably.

The Steelers have arguably one of the NFL's top edge rushers in two-time All-Pro T.J. Watt

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I laughed at the word arguably.

The Steelers have arguably one of the NFL's top edge rushers in two-time All-Pro T.J. Watt
    Watt is great but he could use someone who's a threat on the opposite side. I'm optimistic on Highsmith but he's still an unknown, and I don't know who's behind him which means our depth is lacking

But yes as an overall OLB I don't think there's anyone else better than Watt right now, pay the guy whatever he wants

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Watt is great but he could use someone who's a threat on the opposite side. I'm optimistic on Highsmith but he's still an unknown, and I don't know who's behind him which means our depth is lacking

But yes as an overall OLB I don't think there's anyone else better than Watt right now, pay the guy whatever he wants
    Yeah they could have said "arguably the best" but not "arguably one of the best." That is NOT arguable by anyone's standard.

I'm mixed on Ingram. Is he willing to be a rotation guy? I don't want to park Highsmith.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Looks like the Steelers have signed Ingram to a 1 year deal

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Solid depth and insurance policy for injury.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

let training camp figure out if he starts or is rotational depth ... I like Highsmith as much as the next guy but I am not one to anoint jobs I prefer competition sorting it out and you have a quality guy coming in regardless spelling the starters
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

let training camp figure out if he starts or is rotational depth ... I like Highsmith as much as the next guy but I am not one to anoint jobs I prefer competition sorting it out and you have a quality guy coming in regardless spelling the starters
    I say wth and put TJ at ILB in some crazy ass formation on certain downs and Ingram/Highsmith at OLB w/D.Bush running around and scare the hell out of the QBs lol

I remember the days when the “real media” was legit…how times have changed.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Are the Steelers becoming 'Chargers East'?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I hope they checked his concussion history since he's coming from the chargers.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

I remember the days when the “real media” was legit…how times have changed.

melvin gordon huh ... hmm lmao

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Glad they added much needed depth at the edge group.

melvin gordon huh ... hmm lmao
    Why the lmao? You think it's a garbage signing?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Are the Steelers becoming 'Chargers East'?
    Let's hope the QB is next!

I think he's got to be the #3. I good rotational/situational pass rusher to have. I think Highsmith will be the guy getting 70% of the snaps.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Why the lmao? You think it's a garbage signing?

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hope the QB is next!
    Gordon would be a bad signing after we dratted Harris.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think he's got to be the #3. I good rotational/situational pass rusher to have. I think Highsmith will be the guy getting 70% of the snaps.
    If they stay healthy, then it will all sort itself out and having depth and rotation is a good problem to have.

I still am really wanting to see Roche in some preseason action. He only came in at 243lbs at Senior Bowl, but his speed and quickness scores match up with what you see on film. He may be a year away from developing, or he may just surprise us. But I think this definitely pushes him to #4 on the depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Gordon would be a bad signing after we dratted Harris.
    Oh I see what he was laughing at now. How bad is that to get the name wrong?!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

for 4 mil it's a good value signing if he's anywhere near as good as he was prior to going on IR

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

No problem Bro. but you would think sports writers would? Kinda of there job.

Steelers To Host Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram

If Roche turns out to be the “steal” that they say he is, a rotation of Watt/Highsmith/Ingram and Roche could be very, very nice.

yeah that is why I laughed .. I mean they are "sportwriters" they have 1 job write about sports so why not at the very least get the players names correct they are talking about ..

its liken to writing a book about Paris and calling it Venice

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

yeah that is why I laughed .. I mean they are "sportwriters" they have 1 job write about sports so why not at the very least get the players names correct they are talking about ..

its liken to writing a book about Paris and calling it Venice
    I think the people who run sports Twitter feeds and other social media are not always sports "writers" they are just internet whiz kids - likely hired for their ability to use emojis and talk to the "youth" or "engage market sectors with an effective brand strategy".

Sports journalism is basically dead.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Looks like a good signing to me, the experience and depth should be a big help.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If Roche turns out to be the “steal” that they say he is, a rotation of Watt/Highsmith/Ingram and Roche could be very, very nice.
    Yeah, I dont know who is saying that Roche is a steal, but he has some upside and some proven production from college. He is a bit undersized and that may impact him in the league, or he may get stronger in the weight room, but I really want to see what he can do in B&G.

The OLB situation with Ingram is some veteran insurance from a guy nearing the end of his career. But TJ is in his prime, Highsmith is improving and will be a starter, while Roche could be that situational pass rusher that may not be as good at setting an edge yet. Marsh is pretty much a has been.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here are some stats:

-PFF rated Highsmith as the second-highest rookie edge player (behind Chase Young)

-starting edge player on PFF’s all-rookie team

-two rookies registered 10 run stuffs: Young & Highsmith

One more:

-Highsmith’s win-rate was 24%… he didn’t have enough plays to “rank”, but he would have been 7th overall in the entire NFL (and one spot ahead of Chase Young).

SUMMATION:
    I like Marvin Gildon as a rotation guy (he has played both sides, which is huge). But, the Steelers already have themselves an exceptional OLB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/07/fi...a-pass-rusher/

To add on the discussion....there is a bit in the link of Marvin Gildon rushing from the inside LB spot. Makes me wonder about the potential of that "3 OLB" package the Steelers ran at points in the 2020 season...maybe revisit that?

Or...pass coverage might go out the window....but Ingram and VW coming through the A gaps with Highsmith and Watt off the edges....I mean if they block anyone...big play in the pass game are possible, but that would be fun to see...

Everyone continue

wtf is Marvin Gildon

2 posts in a row speak of this unknown man ...

guys come on you sounding like you work for CBS sports ... its MELVIN INGRAM lmao

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

wtf is Marvin Gildon

2 posts in a row speak of this unknown man ...

guys come on you sounding like you work for CBS sports ... its MELVIN INGRAM lmao
    He’s the cousin of Jashom Worldis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think the people who run sports Twitter feeds and other social media are not always sports "writers" they are just internet whiz kids - likely hired for their ability to use emojis and talk to the "youth" or "engage market sectors with an effective brand strategy".

Sports journalism is basically dead.

NFL on CBS should be better .....