Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Faneca lobbies for Hines Ward to join him in Canton: 'He is a Hall of Famer'

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Alan Faneca lobbies for Hines Ward to join him in Canton: 'He is a Hall of Famer'

https://triblive.com/sports/alan-fan...hall-of-famer/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rutter - triblive.com
    In a move designed to perhaps boost Ward’s candidacy, Faneca announced in April that his fellow 1998 draft pick will present him at the induction ceremony, which will conclude a weekend in which five Steelers representatives will be feted.
    I'm hoping this isn't old news but the article is new to me, and it still seems criminal that Hines wasn't in the hall first ballot, but that's the NFL for you these days (More like this decade). Thanks to Faneca for being a loyal Steeler and true teammate, knowing full well his bro Hines should get enshrined for his years of playmaking, a highlight reel 100 miles long, being the toughest WR to ever play the position, and a Super Bowl MVP as well.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Alan Faneca lobbies for Hines Ward to join him in Canton: 'He is a Hall of Famer'

Hines doesn't have the flashy numbers but IMO if they ever had to change a game because of the way you played it, you're forever in NFL history and should be in the hall. Probably my favorite Steeler of all time cause he busted some heads lol.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Alan Faneca lobbies for Hines Ward to join him in Canton: 'He is a Hall of Famer'

Here is my biggest question about Hines Ward...if you put him in...do you put Derrick Mason in? They have similar numbers in the same era...

Other random "comps" are Irving Fryar and Brandon Marshall.

If the HOF voters think the blocking and 1000 catches separate Ward from other guys floating around his level on the all-time lists, then he gets in. If they don't...he gets pushed to the hall of very very good.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here is my biggest question about Hines Ward...if you put him in...do you put Derrick Mason in? They have similar numbers in the same era...
    Was Mason also the best blocking WR, possibly of all-time? Or is blocking not a factor in winning tackle football games?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think a realistic comp is Steve Smith. And Smith likely gets in first. He has a strong edge in yards but Hines has a SB MVP.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

do you put Derrick Mason in? They have similar numbers in the same era...

Other random "comps" are Irving Fryar and Brandon Marshall.
    For me, it's always about watching the player play, and I loved the way Hines played. And I'll admit, I haven't seen much of those other guys in action and maybe if I had I'd feel much different about Ward, but I'd be very surprised if I saw them do all the things I've seen Hines do, stats be damned. Not dismissing your point of course, I just have no point of reference besides stats.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Was Mason also the best blocking WR, possibly of all-time? Or is blocking not a factor in winning tackle football games?
    Read the rest of the post.

Personally, I don’t feel Wards blocking closes the gap between him and the best WRs of his era.

Ward is one of my favorite Steelers and overall NFL players.

I just don’t see him as a HOF caliber player.

For instance, take Faneca. In his era it was Hutchinson and Faneca at guard and then a gap and then everyone else.

I don’t feel the same can be said about Ward.

But I have NO idea how actual HOF voters will see it.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Personally, I don’t feel Wards blocking closes the gap between him and the best WRs of his era.

For instance, take Faneca. In his era it was Hutchinson and Faneca at guard and then a gap and then everyone else.

I get what you are saying and understand it to a degree ...

that said Ward was the most complete WR of his era when his blocking is brought into play coupled with SB MVP , rule changes because of his ferociousness and tenacity as a blocker and the memorable smile as he got up no matter how hard he was hit ...

I think he gets in and I wouldnt be surprised if it is in 2022
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I get what you are saying and understand it to a degree ...

that said Ward was the most complete WR of his era when his blocking is brought into play coupled with SB MVP , rule changes because of his ferociousness and tenacity as a blocker and the memorable smile as he got up no matter how hard he was hit ...

I think he gets in and I wouldnt be surprised if it is in 2022
    I totally get that. And I mostly agree. I just don’t think the Canton gatekeepers will.

I read it all. You’re covering all bases as usual. Never be wrong. And when you’re wrong you’re still right because you’re glad you were wrong. Lol.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Alan Faneca lobbies for Hines Ward to join him in Canton: 'He is a Hall of Famer'

Far above the Derrick Mason/Brandon Marshall Comparison.

2X SB winner
    1X SB MVP

If you are going by numbers alone:

- Of the 11 Receivers since 1980 in the HOF, only 4 have played more games than Ward.

- 3 have less yardage than Ward.

- 5 have less receptions than Ward.

- 3 have less TDs than Ward.

- 620 receptions for first downs. Exceeds only Calvin Johnson.

- 64.2% catch rate. Better than Moss, Owens, Johnson, Harrison and Bruce.

- His playoff stats are all at or near the top of the group.

- Rule books re-written because of his blocking skills.

Here’s the article:

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/04/21/...l-fame-snub/5/

Will he get in? Probably some day but I think it will be far down the line. He’s very underrated because he wasn’t in a flashy offense, he wasn’t an obnoxious look at me guy like most WRs are and that works against him in the media voting. But you can’t say he’s not worthy of the selection because his numbers show otherwise and are right in the mix with the 11 guys that are in there since 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I read it all. You’re covering all bases as usual. Never be wrong. And when you’re wrong you’re still right because you’re glad you were wrong. Lol.
    if it makes you happier...I don't think that Hines Ward will get in. And I am okay with that because I do not think that he is a HOF WR

if it makes you happier...I don't think that Hines Ward will get in. And I am okay with that because I do not think that he is a HOF WR
    He likely won't, based on the position and the glut of stats WRs put up.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I have said it before, and I’ll say it again:

Hines Ward is Nirvana.

The Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam have sold more albums and have earned more on tours (and might even be better musicians), but Nirvana changed music for forever. Ever since the first three chords of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” hit anyone’s ears, the history of music was altered. Not just grunge (which Nirvana obviously paved the way for), but a new type of sound with heartfelt (albeit cryptic) lyrics.

You cannot tell the story of music without telling the story of Nirvana.

The same goes for Ward. The catches, TDs, and Super Bowl MVPs are nice, but what sets him apart is that he changed football for forever. The way that receivers play was significantly altered by Ward.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Hines Ward is Nirvana.

The Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam have sold more albums and have earned more on tours (and might even be better musicians), but Nirvana changed music for forever. Ever since the first three chords of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” hit anyone’s ears, the history of music was altered. Not just grunge (which Nirvana obviously paved the way for), but a new type of sound with heartfelt (albeit cryptic) lyrics.

The same goes for Ward. The catches, TDs, and Super Bowl MVPs are nice, but what sets him apart is that he changed football for forever. The way that receivers play was significantly altered by Ward.

Hines Ward is Nirvana.
    Smells like... *Sniff, Sniff* ​A Hall-of-Famer! And if you don't think so then you weren't watching. Or in Nirvana'a case... Listening.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hines Ward is Nirvana.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Unfortunately the HoF tends to be a numbers game. But football is not all numbers. If it was, it’d be fantasy football for real and stats, stats, stats would win championships.

I watched Hines Ward play more games than most (non-Steelers) fans. I’ve said it before. As a Ravens fan, I loathed him. Had he been a Raven, he’d likely be in my top three beloved players all-time. He was a pass-catching Ronnie Lott. Does that equate to making it into Canton? Maybe not. But I’d send him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Unfortunately the HoF tends to be a numbers game. But football is not all numbers. If it was, it’d be fantasy football for real and stats, stats, stats would win championships.

I watched Hines Ward play more games than most (non-Steelers) fans. I’ve said it before. As a Ravens fan, I loathed him. Had he been a Raven, he’d likely be in my top three beloved players all-time. He was a pass-catching Ronnie Lott. Does that equate to making it into Canton? Maybe not. But I’d send him there.
    Hey serious question, I noticed a lot of Ravens fans hated Ward but they liked (as much as a rival team could) Polamalu. Why is that? Neither player was much of a trash talker but they dished it out on the field.

Though Ward did have the reputation for being 'dirty', while Polamalu was considered superhuman

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Hey serious question, I noticed a lot of Ravens fans hated Ward but they liked (as much as a rival team could) Polamalu. Why is that? Neither player was much of a trash talker but they dished it out on the field.

Though Ward did have the reputation for being 'dirty', while Polamalu was considered superhuman
    I don’t know if I’d say Ward was “dirty”, but he seemed to enjoy his hard hits. Polamalu? Let’s face it. He was a beast, but also a gentleman. Probably in the Top 5% Nice Guys Ever in the NFL. Jesus, he probably got more “hey, good hit!” comments than anyone in history. You couldn’t loathe him if you tried.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Rodney Harrison stated that if he played offense, he’d play just like Hines Ward.

Rodney also said that he’s not alone in this opinion; lots of defenders feel/felt this way about Ward.

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Far above the Derrick Mason/Brandon Marshall Comparison.

2X SB winner
    1X SB MVP

If you are going by numbers alone:

- Of the 11 Receivers since 1980 in the HOF, only 4 have played more games than Ward.

- 3 have less yardage than Ward.

- 5 have less receptions than Ward.

- 3 have less TDs than Ward.

- 620 receptions for first downs. Exceeds only Calvin Johnson.

- 64.2% catch rate. Better than Moss, Owens, Johnson, Harrison and Bruce.

- His playoff stats are all at or near the top of the group.

- Rule books re-written because of his blocking skills.

Here’s the article:

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/04/21/...l-fame-snub/5/

Will he get in? Probably some day but I think it will be far down the line. He’s very underrated because he wasn’t in a flashy offense, he wasn’t an obnoxious look at me guy like most WRs are and that works against him in the media voting. But you can’t say he’s not worthy of the selection because his numbers show otherwise and are right in the mix with the 11 guys that are in there since 1980.
    Great post.

I don't understand why Hines doesn't get more media attention as a Hall of Fame candidate. Hines' stats compare favorably to Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt, two guys who are often treated as Hall of Fame shoe-ins. Hines had more TDs than either of them, and he had more receptions than Holt.

Hines earned his stats under tougher conditions overall. Wayne and Holt both played indoors, in pass-first offenses for most of their careers, and as second options. How would Wayne's career numbers have looked without Marvin Harrison as number 1, or how would Holt's stats have looked without Isaac Bruce? Wayne had Manning for most of his career, then had Luck for the rest of it. Holt had Kurt Warner for the first part of his career.

Hines played his entire career in an outdoor, bad weather stadium. He spent almost half of his career with sub-par QBs (Kordell and Maddox) in a run-first offense. He was the number 1 receiver for most of his career, with Plax and Santonio and El as his most talented WR teammates during that period. Those guys were good, but they weren't Isaac Bruce or Marvin Harrison. By the time the team transitioned to the pass-first offense with an experienced Ben, Ward was in the home stretch of his career. By the time that he finally got a Hall of Fame caliber WR teammate in AB, Hines was essentially finished.

Hines also has all those intangibles that everonye has mentioned- legendary toughness, a rarity bone crushing blocker at WR who changed the game. And he has a Super Bowl MVP.

Hines is not in the conversation for best WR of all time. He was no Randy Moss or Jerry Rice. But if Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt are serious HoF contenders - and they seem to be given media chatter - then Hines Ward should be too. His career was overall more impressive than either of theirs.

So during his career, Ward’s blocking was significantly impactful on his team winning.

But I am not following how he changed the WR role. He was a unicorn. There haven’t been a line of WRs like him entering the NFL that are his legacy.

Seriously, name the post Hines Ward WRs that block like he does. I can’t think of one guy that plays like he did. What am I missing?

So during his career, Ward’s blocking was significantly impactful on his team winning.

But I am not following how he changed the WR role. He was a unicorn. There haven’t been a line of WRs like him entering the NFL that are his legacy.

Seriously, name the post Hines Ward WRs that block like he does. I can’t think of one guy that plays like he did. What am I missing?
    Blocking ability has become something teams look at & evaluate during the draft process. Blocking by WRs is now specifically taught during practices. Having WRs be part of blocking schemes (not just blocking the DB who’s covering them) has increased.

Blocking ability has become something teams look at & evaluate during the draft process. Blocking by WRs is now specifically taught during practices. Having WRs be part of blocking schemes (not just blocking the DB who’s covering them) has increased.
    I guess you’re right. I just don’t see it. I can’t think of WRs that are consistently used as blockers like Ward was.

I guess you’re right. I just don’t see it. I can’t think of WRs that are consistently used as blockers like Ward was.
    Any WR coming out of college who can block is immediately compared to Ward. JuJu is probably the best example. When he pointed at and then blocked the snot out of a DB in college, that tape circulated as him being “the next Hines Ward.”

Teams have tried to have their WRs block like Ward… to no avail. The fact that teams can’t find a guy as good at blocking as Ward (despite their efforts) shows how elite Ward was at that skill.

It’s sort of like Troy and jumping the snap count. Teams & players try it all of the time… to no avail. Troy’s uncanny ability to burst through a gap at the exact moment that the ball was snapped is one of the many skills that made Troy a HOFer.

Any WR coming out of college who can block is immediately compared to Ward. JuJu is probably the best example. When he pointed at and then blocked the snot out of a DB in college, that tape circulated as him being “the next Hines Ward.”

Teams have tried to have their WRs block like Ward… to no avail. The fact that teams can’t find a guy as good at blocking as Ward (despite their efforts) shows how elite Ward was at that skill.

It’s sort of like Troy and jumping the snap count. Teams & players try it all of the time… to no avail. Troy’s uncanny ability to burst through a gap at the exact moment that the ball was snapped is one of the many skills that made Troy a HOFer.
    I get what you are saying and I don't totally disagree. But I have heard yourself and others around the Steelers internet argue that Ward changed the game with this blocking. The fact that I can only come up with Juju and then I draw a blank on "listing current NFL WRs" that block well" makes me think that he didn't change the game at all.

Ward was a "one off" WR that likely will always stand alone. As I have said, his WR #'s are not that great across the board (total catches yes...other stats are average for a career as long as his) and I don't think the blocking puts him over the top.

Brandon Marshall has almost identical stats with something around 2 seasons less of games. I wouldn't put Marshall in the HOF. Anquan Boldin has an eerily similar stat line, a comparable number of games, and a related reputation for toughness. Is he a HOF'er? I feel like the answer is "No"....and therefore Ward also doesn't get in....just some thoughts.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It's the unicorn that gets the votes. Did Ward separate himself from the pack in any way? Did he separate himself enough? I guess we will see.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post

Yep!

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

I get what you are saying and I don't totally disagree. But I have heard yourself and others around the Steelers internet argue that Ward changed the game with this blocking. The fact that I can only come up with Juju and then I draw a blank on "listing current NFL WRs" that block well" makes me think that he didn't change the game at all.

Ward was a "one off" WR that likely will always stand alone. As I have said, his WR #'s are not that great across the board (total catches yes...other stats are average for a career as long as his) and I don't think the blocking puts him over the top.

Brandon Marshall has almost identical stats with something around 2 seasons less of games. I wouldn't put Marshall in the HOF. Anquan Boldin has an eerily similar stat line, a comparable number of games, and a related reputation for toughness. Is he a HOF'er? I feel like the answer is "No"....and therefore Ward also doesn't get in....just some thoughts.
    Do you see Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt as Hall of Famers? Their stats are in the same ballpark as Ward and Boldin and Marshall, but they were HoF Finalists this year. I can understand an argument that none of those guys should be in the HoF, but I don't see an argument for them over Ward. Ward has that extra dimension those guys lacked, put up numbers in tougher circumstances, plus has a Super Bowl MVP. Does a single all pro for Holt and for Wayne really offset all of that?