Thread: 10 reasons Big Ben will defy the media odds

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

10 reasons Big Ben will defy the media odds

all the talk Big Ben being washed up and will be the worst QB in the division in 2021 and some say he will be benched by week 6 ... here is my logic on why they couldnt be any more wrong ...

1) he was the best performer in the division last year statically , yet the media says he will be the worst in 2021

2) 5th best completion percentage of his career in 2020

3) 3rd most completions of his career in 2020

4) 3rd longest completion of his career

5) 5th fewest interceptions of his career

6) 7th most throws for a 1st down in his career

7) only took 13 sacks on the season his lowest total as a pro ( other than his mega shortened 2019 season )

8) 2nd most TD passes in a season for his career .....

9) his receivers led the league in drops ...

10) reportedly he will be in the best shape of his life entering this season and has a chip on his shoulder the size of the state of Texas for all the disrespect he has gotten this off season .. excuse me if I like his odds of once again being the Best QB in the division in 2021
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: 10 reasons Big Ben will defy the media odds

It could go either way. You could come up with 10 reasons why he won't just as easily. I think he has one last push in him, but I'm not sure that he can sustain it for 17+ games though. I'm hoping he can.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It could go either way. You could come up with 10 reasons why he won't just as easily. I think he has one last push in him, but I'm not sure that he can sustain it for 17+ games though. I'm hoping he can.

that for me is where an improved running game can only help his chances ( something I left out of the 10 reasons ) but is very valid in its own right

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I will not argue that 2021 Ben is not less than Prime Ben. But I will argue that 2021 Ben will be better than 2020 Ben. Your list of 10(11) reasons are all valid points. I think much of the 'Ben is done' talk focuses on yards per target(average) for last season. With so many defenses loading the box and daring the Steelers to throw deep, why didn't the Steelers throw deep then? The answer to that question was given months ago right after Fichtner was replaced. The lack of a run game in 2020 has been addressed, the aging and injured OL has been upgraded(personnel and coaching), and the OC has been replaced in an effort to be less predictable as an offense. I guess you can argue these changes will have zero positive effect just as easily as that they will have positive effect. But that is just being negative for the sake of being negative. I can find no logical reason to believe this offense and Ben will not be better this season than the 2020 version.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    that for me is where an improved running game can only help his chances ( something I left out of the 10 reasons ) but is very valid in its own right
    Yeah that should go near the top.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

10 reasons Big Ben will defy the media odds

I think the chip on his shoulder will be a major part of it, he is going to come into the season pissed about all the washed up talk and let the league know. This will be the hardest division in the league this season, and I think the Steelers take the division again. I am not sold on Jackson, he is not a passer, the Bengals are a season or two from making a push, the Browns are probably the best team on paper, but they weren’t dominant by any means. An average offensive gameplan against them in the playoffs would have won that game.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-2021-steelers

Odds makers have a positive eye on Big Ben.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Problem is going to be offensive line. At best it is in a complete state of transition and will need time to gel and get itself together. Without the top flight O-line, it's going to cause problems and Ben is likely not good enough to overcome that like he was able to when he was younger. Lack of quality at o-line will also stunt run game improvements. Yes you have Najee, but he alone isn't going to turn the run game around without the necessary blocking

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Problem is going to be offensive line. At best it is in a complete state of transition and will need time to gel and get itself together. Without the top flight O-line, it's going to cause problems and Ben is likely not good enough to overcome that like he was able to when he was younger. Lack of quality at o-line will also stunt run game improvements. Yes you have Najee, but he alone isn't going to turn the run game around without the necessary blocking
    a quality argument could be made that even though Banner is the only day 1 starter in common with last year ( and he played 1 game before season ending injury ) that spot for spot across the line is an upgrade from last year ( even Decastro's spot because he didn't play that well hurt ) and Pouncey should have retired 2 years ago ... Banner originally beat out Chuks for the RT job last year ... Chuks making what many believe is the Natural progression for him to LT and LG Dotson was very good as a rookie so his play should only get better with a more normal Training camp in 2021 ... this line on paper should be improved and thats unknowing on whom the starting Center will be when its all said and done in 2021 ... If Green wins that job in camp over 2 guys who have proved to be able to play there in the past at a solid level in spot duty that should really open some eyes IMO

The O line sucked last year and yet everyone is worried that they're not all returning. Head scratcher!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The O line sucked last year and yet everyone is worried that they're not all returning. Head scratcher!

Not everyone , I believe it will be better , perhaps substantially so

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

a quality argument could be made that even though Banner is the only day 1 starter in common with last year ( and he played 1 game before season ending injury ) that spot for spot across the line is an upgrade from last year ( even Decastro's spot because he didn't play that well hurt ) and Pouncey should have retired 2 years ago ... Banner originally beat out Chuks for the RT job last year ... Chuks making what many believe is the Natural progression for him to LT and LG Dotson was very good as a rookie so his play should only get better with a more normal Training camp in 2021 ... this line on paper should be improved and thats unknowing on whom the starting Center will be when its all said and done in 2021 ... If Green wins that job in camp over 2 guys who have proved to be able to play there in the past at a solid level in spot duty that should really open some eyes IMO
    It's not just about individual parts, it's about being a cohesive unit. To expect them to be just fine when starting a whole new unit of mostly unknowns is a stretch

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

You covered it all just about, I’d add maybe a year further along in his elbow surgery recovery as well. I wouldn’t bet against Ben. There’s a chance we could be wrong (and the few posters here are right) and Father Time has really caught up with Ben but I wouldn’t count on that. He was still making a lot of good passes at the end of the season. And there are just too many other things that went wrong that have already been covered and now fixed,

Not everyone , I believe it will be better , perhaps substantially so
    I'm also in that camp. It will be younger with better coaching.