Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Sherman Jailed without bail

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Richard Sherman Jailed without bail

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    I believe the claim was that, " ....consider that the college is making hundreds of millions of dollars off said athletes from gate and tv revenue. How many students does that allow to get a better education?" Can you find, or is it your experience, that the money made from big-time college athletics improves the education of the non athletics-participating student?
    Not typically...there are benefits to big-time athletics in terms of overall campus facilities and the profile of the university...but most of that athletics money stays in the athletics sphere.

For instance, at most DI schools there are a series of tutors, advisors, academic monitoring programs etc that are for athletes only. After all, these are assets for the school and they are super committed to keeping individual athletes and the programs overall eligible. The flip side is that I have colleagues that have experienced athletes show up for classes and exams clearly punchy from concussions because they have no other options.

Big $$$ NCAA sports do not seem to harm the average non-athlete student...but they do not seem to tangibly benefit them either. But most places I have been posted to have had much smaller athletic profiles than DI schools. But I have spent time at DI schools and have many colleagues that work at them...and can not think of an academic program or asset that has available "because" of sports. The most tangible benefit to the "average" student is the work-out and gym facilities that go along with athletics.

But...this is just my anecdotal experience and others may have had very different experiences.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not typically...there are benefits to big-time athletics in terms of overall campus facilities and the profile of the university...but most of that athletics money stays in the athletics sphere.

For instance, at most DI schools there are a series of tutors, advisors, academic monitoring programs etc that are for athletes only. After all, these are assets for the school and they are super committed to keeping individual athletes and the programs overall eligible. The flip side is that I have colleagues that have experienced athletes show up for classes and exams clearly punchy from concussions because they have no other options.

Big $$$ NCAA sports do not seem to harm the average non-athlete student...but they do not seem to tangibly benefit them either. But most places I have been posted to have had much smaller athletic profiles than DI schools. But I have spent time at DI schools and have many colleagues that work at them...and can not think of an academic program or asset that has available "because" of sports. The most tangible benefit to the "average" student is the work-out and gym facilities that go along with athletics.

But...this is just my anecdotal experience and others may have had very different experiences.
    Yeah, here where I live Doug Flutie's legacy is the athletic facilities BC built as a result of the money he brought to the college during his time as QB.

For example:

The Silvio O. Conte Forum, commonly known as Conte Forum, Kelley Rink, or simply Conte, is an 8,606-seat multi-purpose arena which opened in 1988 on the campus of Boston College in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts.
    Note, Flutie graduated in '85. Now, BC has one of the top hockey programs in the country but it took Flutie, football, to get the hockey program a new arena.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I believe the claim was that, " ....consider that the college is making hundreds of millions of dollars off said athletes from gate and tv revenue. How many students does that allow to get a better education?" Can you find, or is it your experience, that the money made from big-time college athletics improves the education of the non athletics-participating student?
    Did you go to college? It improved mine.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Did you go to college? It improved mine.
    Have some balls like Drazo85 and admit it when your mistaken.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Have some balls like Drazo85 and admit it when your mistaken.
    If I was I would, Willy. Football brings in hundreds of millions. How the school spends that money is up to each institution. The net result is increased recognition and prestige for graduates as well. You’re really small minded. And you never answered my question if you went to college?

If I was I would, Willy. Football brings in hundreds of millions. How the school spends that money is up to each institution. The net result is increased recognition and prestige for graduates as well. You’re really small minded. And you never answered my question if you went to college?
    This was your claim, "....consider that the college is making hundreds of millions of dollars off said athletes from gate and tv revenue. How many students does that allow to get a better education?". Nothing about increased prestige, or recognition. And it's BS. Stand up to it like a man not some social media wanker who can't do anything but throw insults when he's wrong.

And, yes, I went to college, but that has zero to do with your
    erroneous claim. It's another phony detour.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/do...ts-make-money/

Majority of football playing colleges are losing money on athletics.

Sports certainly adds to the college experience and opens up doors for participants but it seems, based on a brief look, that it is not funding education for anyone else.

This was your claim, "....consider that the college is making hundreds of millions of dollars off said athletes from gate and tv revenue. How many students does that allow to get a better education?". Nothing about increased prestige, or recognition. And it's BS. Stand up to it like a man not some social media wanker who can't do anything but throw insults when he's wrong.

And, yes, I went to college, but that has zero to do with your
    erroneous claim. It's another phony detour.
    I’ve told you how it makes for a better education. The difference in a degree from the University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan is that one has the name recognition that comes solely from the football program. Perhaps you’ve never heard of advertising? More students enroll in these major colleges because of this recognition. That’s probably the biggest effect.

Now, I’m done with you. You probably have coach Tomlin on hold anyway waiting to talk with you.

Sports certainly adds to the college experience and opens up doors for participants but it seems, based on a brief look, that it is not funding education for anyone else.
    Sure, just like it adds to the local experience.

Yes, overall, because football is paying the bill for all the non-revenue sports. But even then, some are staying ahead. For example LSU had a $56M profit from the football program in 2019 while their other sports lost $20M.

Football plays a lot of bills for athletics and also increases enrollment and lends to a more prestigious degree.

- - - Updated - - -

In 2006, the year before Saban arrived, Alabama reports it had an incoming freshman class of 4,404 students (2,926 in-state, 1,478 out of state). This fall's incoming class, the school says, is 7,407 students (2,406 in-state, 5,001 out of state).”

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So how about that Richard Sherman…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So how about that Richard Sherman…
    Educated
    Great football player
    Bad temper

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here’s a related story.

I graduated from UCSD. It has no football team, because the Dean feels that sports distracts students from learning (and research). Admittedly, UCSD is tops in many fields of study. Scripps alone would trump most research facilities at other universities. But… there is zero sense of school spirit. There isn’t an event where people gather in thousands and cheer for a common cause. There isn’t anyone gathering around the TV to watch their alma mater. I don’t own any Tritons gear (and I’m not alone in that regard).

Conversely, my brother graduated from SDSU. While it’s not exactly an academic juggernaut, it’s a good school. More importantly, tens of thousands gather in Qualcomm Stadium to watch the Dark Side defense… and hundreds of thousands gather around the TV every Saturday. (When Marshall Faulk played here, the stadium was sold out for three seasons.) My brother has all kinds of Aztec gear; heck, even I have a ball cap. In summation, there is a sense of pride & comradely.

SUMMATION:
    Sports is a major part of the college experience. It’s more than just ticket sales.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

it would be cool if this board had a feature that is x amount of people had placed you on ignore your posting permissions got revoked ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Then you'd see people creating 10 accounts and blocking people lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    it would be cool if this board had a feature that is x amount of people had placed you on ignore your posting permissions got revoked ....
    I hear you bro. It’s amazing how fast a new member can get put on so many ignore lists.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I hear you bro. It’s amazing how fast a new member can get put on so many ignore lists.
    Not a new member... just a different name.

I personally don't believe in banning. People have different opinions and beliefs. It's all cool. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I might not agree with someone's political ideology, but I'm sure we could have a beer together and get along just fine.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

I personally don't believe in banning. People have different opinions and beliefs. It's all cool. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I might not agree with someone's political ideology, but I'm sure we could have a beer together and get along just fine.
    Yep, I can dig that

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

to many hijacked threads ....

please someone remove the stuff or put it in soapbox ..

sure I love the banter as much as the next guy but I dont want to wade through it in every thread
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now