Thread: Favorite Rookie Heading Into Training Camp.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Favorite Rookie Heading Into Training Camp.

Just a fun discussion of who is your favorite rookie this year heading into TC? Lots of new faces to choose from this year but I'm talking specifically about NFL rookies.

Najee Harris RB
    Pat Freiermuth TE
    Kendrick Green C/G
    Dan Moore Jr OT
    Buddy Johnson ILB
    Isaiahh Loudermilk DE
    Quincey Roche OLB
    Tre Norwood CB
    Pressley Harvin P
    Donovan Stiner CB
    Calvin Bundage ILB
    Lamont Wade S
    Shakur Brown CB
    Mark Gilbert CB
    Isaiah McKoy WR
    Lamar Watson OLB
    Rico Bussey Jr WR

That is an extensive and impressive list of rookies this year. I feel like most of the love is going to go to Harris and Freiermuth. Some may go to alma mater picks or pre-draft favorites or maybe to some player you just want to see succeed. I'll break it into 3 categories then:

1. Player that is your absolute favorite from this group(Harris)
    2. Player you feel the Steelers NEED to be great(Green)
    3. Pre-draft favorite you just hope makes the final cut even if only PS(Norwood)

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Favorite Rookie Heading Into Training Camp.

hard question because value enters the equation ... from a value standpoint ...

Johnson - has a chance to be a very solid pro

Norwood- hard not to like a guy who can do so much ( or at least did at the College level ) will that translate ??

Mark Gilbert - if this kid can put the injury history behind him he has all the tools needed to become a very good NFL boundary corner ( and has that strong NFL bloodline x2 )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    hard question because value enters the equation ... from a value standpoint ...

Johnson - has a chance to be a very solid pro

Norwood- hard not to like a guy who can do so much ( or at least did at the College level ) will that translate ??

Mark Gilbert - if this kid can put the injury history behind him he has all the tools needed to become a very good NFL boundary corner ( and has that strong NFL bloodline x2 )
    Interesting you went with 3 defensive guys, Dwins.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think my favorite is going to be Kendrick Green. From the sounds of him I know the type and love to coach and play with those type of guys, but hate to play against him. He is basically A.Q. Shipley with athleticism and longer arms and personality.

Najee Harris I am going to enjoy watching him be successful and everybody slobber all over him. Especially those that thought the Steeles should draft an OT like Tevin Jenkins, Mayfield or Eichenberg in the first instead of him.

Roche is the other. I think he is a guy that is going to make noise vs the #2's and 3's in preseason and get sacks. He will outplay guys like Olaqwerty and Skipper did, but wont the the hype like those undrafted guys will. Good chance he becomes #3 OLB.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Roche
    Tupac Shakur
    Gilbert

are the ones I''m watching closely and can't wait for preseason

Everyone is going to watch Najee

Just for "kicks" Pressley

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Roche
    Tupac Shakur
    Gilbert

are the ones I''m watching closely and can't wait for preseason

Everyone is going to watch Najee

Just for "kicks" Pressley
    I heard a radio interview pre-draft with Pressley Harvin. He seemed like a nice enough guy. I just can't seem to care much about the punter position since watching Danny White growing up. I understand it's importance for field position but I never pay much attention to the guy doing the punting. Not even for "kicks".

Roche is an interesting guy to me. He fell further than I thought he would. The Hurricanes had 3 Edge guys that looked like top 3 round prospects. I think he has the talent and upside to fit right in with Watt and Highsmith.

I don't know who Tupacs O'Sugar is. I think Gilbert is a fan favorite on this forum.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I heard a radio interview pre-draft with Pressley Harvin. He seemed like a nice enough guy. I just can't seem to care much about the punter position since watching Danny White growing up. I understand it's importance for field position but I never pay much attention to the guy doing the punting. Not even for "kicks".

Roche is an interesting guy to me. He fell further than I thought he would. The Hurricanes had 3 Edge guys that looked like top 3 round prospects. I think he has the talent and upside to fit right in with Watt and Highsmith.

I don't know who Tupacs O'Sugar is. I think Gilbert is a fan favorite on this forum.
    Shakur Brown

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Rico Bussey cause he's from UH

Players I hope pan out the most are Kendrick Green and Freiermuth. Green for obvious reasons and Pat because we sucked at TE ever since Heath left

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Rico Bussey cause he's from UH

Players I hope pan out the most are Kendrick Green and Freiermuth. Green for obvious reasons and Pat because we sucked at TE ever since Heath left
    Honestly I think the PS WR corps needs to be replenished. For now we have Cain and Darboh.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

1. Harris and Freiermuth, they’ll both be fun to watch
    2. Green, agree with others - green needs to perform well this year to help make the OL not just better than last year but a lot better - he’ll make Ben and Harris look good
    3. Harvin- it’ll be cool to have a punter that is a real threat to throw the ball…

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm most intrigued by Pat Freiermuth. I'm excited to see what he brings.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

GREEN: I like O-line. I love centers. Green is the cog that could turn this O-line around (much like what Pouncey did in his rookie year).

HARRIS: The kid has it all. He’s a dynamo on the field, and he is invested in improving the lives of people in the community. How can you not root for this kid? (Really. Even Bengals fans like him.)

FREIERMUTH: If Ben excels at (is limited to only?) throwing the ball 20 yards, then this is the perfect weapon for him.

Those are my top three… listed, to a degree, in order.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pat Freiermuth

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Pat Freiermuth
    Shocking!

Still happy for you, Shoes.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Favorite(s) - Harris/Freiermuth

Needs to be Great - Green

Makes Roster - Norwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Freiermuth for sure.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Favorite(s) - Harris/Freiermuth

Makes Roster - Norwood
    Pretty much this

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fav - Roche
    Make Roster - Loudermilk

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Mathew Sexton

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Mathew Sexton
    Are you an Eagles of Eastern Michigan fan?

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Are you an Eagles of Eastern Michigan fan?
    No, I just like an underdog story. Sexton has virtually no chance of making the roster. If he does, he will have put on quite a show in the pre-season. Maybe he'll turn out to be another Wes Welker.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Green, He is a player that I had in every one of my Mock Drafts. I love the big uglies.

Harris, I think the O-line will be better this year. Harris has a chance to really shine.

Harvin, Being able to pin the other offence deep give the advantage to a defense. I hope this young man is as good as I think he is.

AML