Thread: CB: James Pierre

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

CB: James Pierre

“I think there will be a big jump with him. I am hoping we have all of a sudden found ourselves a nice, big corner for the future.”

—Teryl Austin

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: CB: James Pierre

Yeah, I still pretty much think he is competing for the RCB spot with Sutton, with the thought that Sutton is the best slot corner option, unless somebody like Shakur Brown emerges for the slot.

All the talk on Pierre in 2020 draft was that he could have benefitted from staying another year in College, he is big and a smooth athlete that is still raw in coverage, but had some good performances against solid competition, but doesnt have the speed or change of direction to be great in man coverage. Big CB, best in zone, will come up and tackle in run game and has upside to develop, is what the 2020 report was.

I think its obvious that he has moved ahead of Layne on the depth chart and might be in the Steelers Dime package at the least.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They’ve “said” that Sutton is the RCB and the rest are battling for that slot position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’ve “said” that Sutton is the RCB and the rest are battling for that slot position.
    Pierre is not a slot candidate, he has been playing exclusively outside.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I guess I have to wonder who "they" are. Back in April, Tomlin said that Sutton was the boundary CB on the depth chart at the moment, but was rather emphatic in saying "depth charts in April mean absolutely nothing".

I think Pierre might be the 3rd best CB on the team right now, but he is too big to play in the slot and doesnt have the footwork. But if somebody like Shakur Brown or Mark Gilbert emerges as a slot CB, then it puts Pierre behind Haden and Sutton on the outside and somebody that likely plays in Dime. But basically the sky isnt falling because Nelson and Hilton are gone.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I guess I have to wonder who "they" are. Back in April, Tomlin said that Sutton was the boundary CB on the depth chart at the moment, but was rather emphatic in saying "depth charts in April mean absolutely nothing".

I think Pierre might be the 3rd best CB on the team right now, but he is too big to play in the slot and doesnt have the footwork. But if somebody like Shakur Brown or Mark Gilbert emerges as a slot CB, then it puts Pierre behind Haden and Sutton on the outside and somebody that likely plays in Dime. But basically the sky isnt falling because Nelson and Hilton are gone.
    They is Tomlin and Colbert. Tomlin said in June that Pierre would be the nickel if the games were played then. He wants someone physical to play that spot. Pierre, at that time, said that was working exclusively outside. Austin also said that Sutton was working exclusively outside. Probably for the Reps.

Could be a thing where Pierre plays slot on run downs and then flips with Sutton on pass downs?

They is Tomlin and Colbert. Tomlin said in June that Pierre would be the nickel if the games were played then. He wants someone physical to play that spot. Pierre, at that time, said that was working exclusively outside. Austin also said that Sutton was working exclusively outside. Probably for the Reps.

Could be a thing where Pierre plays slot on run downs and then flips with Sutton on pass downs?
    I honestly hope not. I can just see a 6'2" CB like Pierre getting abused in the slot by a quicker WR like Cole Beasley. Not a good look, IMO.

I honestly hope not. I can just see a 6'2" CB like Pierre getting abused in the slot by a quicker WR like Cole Beasley. Not a good look, IMO.
    If they flipped when the three WR set personnel comes in, Sutton would be on Beasley in the slot and Pierre would bounce outside.

Probably won’t have to worry about Beasley...he’s recently been losing his mind as well.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

If they flipped when the three WR set personnel comes in, Sutton would be on Beasley in the slot and Pierre would bounce outside.

Probably won’t have to worry about Beasley...he’s recently been losing his mind as well.
    one could argue he is one of the few NFL players with a sound mind ...

what kind of fool takes a shot that has not been widely tested for long term effects voluntarily ... we have NO CLUE what these " vaccines" will do to the human body in 2-3-10 -20 years yet so many line up and willingly take them because the propaganda machine tells them too ... no thanks

so in your words is he is losing his mind ... He might be inclined to ask have you lost yours ??
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

one could argue he is one of the few NFL players with a sound mind ...

what kind of fool takes a shot that has not been widely tested for long term effects voluntarily ... we have NO CLUE what these " vaccines" will do to the human body in 2-3-10 -20 years yet so many line up and willingly take them because the propaganda machine tells them too ... no thanks

so in your words is he is losing his mind ... He might be inclined to ask have you lost yours ??
    Reacting the way he has…yes it sounds like he’s lost it…lol. What have I done that would give him the inclination to ask if I have lost my mind?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Reacting the way he has…yes it sounds like he’s lost it…lol. What have I done that would give him the inclination to ask if I have lost my mind?
    Ever notice that dude's like Beasley have always "read some things" and "done some research" but can never provide verifiable actual details and facts that resulted from all their efforts? Gee...it is almost like they are buying a pack of lies and untruths...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

perhaps got the vaccine ? I wont pretend to know but that could be it

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ever notice that dude's like Beasley have always "read some things" and "done some research" but can never provide verifiable actual details and facts that resulted from all their efforts? Gee...it is almost like they are buying a pack of lies and untruths...
    Yup. Whats the Walt Whitman quote about "being curious rather than judgmental"? If one were curious, they would ask some questions from virologists, immunologists, etc. But for some its just easy to be judgmental and "read some things" that confirm the bias they already have.

Below is former Immunologist and current Swimsuit Model Haley Kalil explaining things in layman terms. Good video, but she should have done it in a swimsuit.

https://swimsuit.si.com/video/mrna-c...il?jwsource=cl

Now, not to hijack the thread any further. James Pierre is a good addition to the CB group, but I dont see him being effective in the slot, covering quicker receivers like Jamaar Chase, Jarvis Landry, Cole Beasley, etc.

I think Pierre is a better candidate to play outside in sub packages and then Sutton moves inside to cover the slot and maybe somebody like Brown, Gilbert or Norwood also is inside on Dime.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yup. Whats the Walt Whitman quote about "being curious rather than judgmental"? If one were curious, they would ask some questions from virologists, immunologists, etc. But for some its just easy to be judgmental and "read some things" that confirm the bias they already have.

Below is former Immunologist and current Swimsuit Model Haley Kalil explaining things in layman terms. Good video, but she should have done it in a swimsuit.

https://swimsuit.si.com/video/mrna-c...il?jwsource=cl

Now, not to hijack the thread any further. James Pierre is a good addition to the CB group, but I dont see him being effective in the slot, covering quicker receivers like Jamaar Chase, Jarvis Landry, Cole Beasley, etc.

I think Pierre is a better candidate to play outside in sub packages and then Sutton moves inside to cover the slot and maybe somebody like Brown, Gilbert or Norwood also is inside on Dime.
    Kind of like what they used to do w/Willie Gay

perhaps got the vaccine ? I wont pretend to know but that could be it
    Vaccine or no vaccine, I’m not running around preaching vaccine or anti-vaccine or bashing the company I work for in regards to their policies…lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Kind of like what they used to do w/Willie Gay
    Kind of. I think Willie Gay was a better slot CB than on outside, but I think both he and Pierre are guys that are not exceptionally fast, but more 4.5 guys. Pierre is taller by 4 inches and longer than Gay. I dont think he has the change of direction to be playing in the slot. Its kind of like somebody deciding that Richard Sherman was going to be a slot corner in his career.

I read an article pre draft that the Chicago Bears would have been a good spot for Pierre in the draft as they were thin at boundary corner, with then free agent Artie Burns joining them in the offseason.

No matter where he ends up on the depth chart, its always nice to have a 6'2" CB that can cover big receivers on the outside and will come up and tackle in the run game. Especially one that came out as a junior, with potential and is really growing into that potential with good coaching. The real growth will be if his man coverage skills improve.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2021 Stock Watch – CB James Pierre – Stock Up

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/08/20...re-stock-up-5/

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Big corners like Pierre have to be physical within the 5 yard zone with the receiver and be great tacklers - to make up for any lack of quickness, I don’t know if Pierre is like that, I hope so - looks like he has good awareness for the ball also, I think that’s what made #47 great

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The real growth will be if his man coverage skills improve.
    the DB coach has to help him with technique

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Big corners like Pierre have to be physical within the 5 yard zone with the receiver and be great tacklers - to make up for any lack of quickness, I don’t know if Pierre is like that, I hope so - looks like he has good awareness for the ball also, I think that’s what made #47 great
    well #47 would just throw you down as you would come out of your break too , different times for sure but make no mistake he played a mans game a mans way ....

the DB coach has to help him with technique
    There may be a plateau, due to body type. Naturally a taller and bigger CB may have a higher center of gravity and the ability to change direction to match WR's in and out of breaks might not be as easy to do, as if they were shorter and quicker. Might be a function of flopping sides where Hayden gets the quicker receivers, while Pierre gets the bigger receivers. Either way, I think he shows some good skills, but maybe not the best in Man coverage.

well #47 would just throw you down as you would come out of your break too , different times for sure but make no mistake he played a mans game a mans way ....
    It was a better brand of football then, my theory has been that Brady would’ve looked more like Dan pastorini if he had played back then but that’s a topic for another thread I guess

There may be a plateau, due to body type. Naturally a taller and bigger CB may have a higher center of gravity and the ability to change direction to match WR's in and out of breaks might not be as easy to do, as if they were shorter and quicker. Might be a function of flopping sides where Hayden gets the quicker receivers, while Pierre gets the bigger receivers. Either way, I think he shows some good skills, but maybe not the best in Man coverage.
    wasn't nelson getting abused by bigger receivers last year? maybe he also lost a step

wasn't nelson getting abused by bigger receivers last year? maybe he also lost a step
    From what I could see, Nelson wasnt as close to the receiver as he has been in his career. Maybe he was giving more cushion to prevent deep ball and maybe he had lost a step. But at his best, he is playing close coverage and challenging balls thrown his way, or being close enough that QB's look to the next read and not throw his way. He wasnt that guy last season IMO.

Now James Pierre doesnt really have long speed either in order to not get beat deep. He appears to play better when keeping things in front of him and will challenge the football. Its why a lot of analysts had him as a "good zone CB prospect", or a "boundary CB " prospect. I think if he can develop into a poor man's Richard Sherman, who also had those same labels due to his size and lack of 40 speed, the Steelers will be pretty pleased with the pickup.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

From what I could see, Nelson wasnt as close to the receiver as he has been in his career. Maybe he was giving more cushion to prevent deep ball and maybe he had lost a step. But at his best, he is playing close coverage and challenging balls thrown his way, or being close enough that QB's look to the next read and not throw his way. He wasnt that guy last season IMO.

Now James Pierre doesnt really have long speed either in order to not get beat deep. He appears to play better when keeping things in front of him and will challenge the football. Its why a lot of analysts had him as a "good zone CB prospect", or a "boundary CB " prospect. I think if he can develop into a poor man's Richard Sherman, who also had those same labels due to his size and lack of 40 speed, the Steelers will be pretty pleased with the pickup.
    I think it was the Buffalo game where Nelson didn't look that good. I may be wrong but there were some games where he looked spotty and was doing the cushion. He was good in 2019, though.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'd welcome any help at secondary