Thread: CB: James Pierre

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

CB: James Pierre

“I think there will be a big jump with him. I am hoping we have all of a sudden found ourselves a nice, big corner for the future.”

—Teryl Austin

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: CB: James Pierre

Yeah, I still pretty much think he is competing for the RCB spot with Sutton, with the thought that Sutton is the best slot corner option, unless somebody like Shakur Brown emerges for the slot.

All the talk on Pierre in 2020 draft was that he could have benefitted from staying another year in College, he is big and a smooth athlete that is still raw in coverage, but had some good performances against solid competition, but doesnt have the speed or change of direction to be great in man coverage. Big CB, best in zone, will come up and tackle in run game and has upside to develop, is what the 2020 report was.

I think its obvious that he has moved ahead of Layne on the depth chart and might be in the Steelers Dime package at the least.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They’ve “said” that Sutton is the RCB and the rest are battling for that slot position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’ve “said” that Sutton is the RCB and the rest are battling for that slot position.
    Pierre is not a slot candidate, he has been playing exclusively outside.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I guess I have to wonder who "they" are. Back in April, Tomlin said that Sutton was the boundary CB on the depth chart at the moment, but was rather emphatic in saying "depth charts in April mean absolutely nothing".

I think Pierre might be the 3rd best CB on the team right now, but he is too big to play in the slot and doesnt have the footwork. But if somebody like Shakur Brown or Mark Gilbert emerges as a slot CB, then it puts Pierre behind Haden and Sutton on the outside and somebody that likely plays in Dime. But basically the sky isnt falling because Nelson and Hilton are gone.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I guess I have to wonder who "they" are. Back in April, Tomlin said that Sutton was the boundary CB on the depth chart at the moment, but was rather emphatic in saying "depth charts in April mean absolutely nothing".

I think Pierre might be the 3rd best CB on the team right now, but he is too big to play in the slot and doesnt have the footwork. But if somebody like Shakur Brown or Mark Gilbert emerges as a slot CB, then it puts Pierre behind Haden and Sutton on the outside and somebody that likely plays in Dime. But basically the sky isnt falling because Nelson and Hilton are gone.
    They is Tomlin and Colbert. Tomlin said in June that Pierre would be the nickel if the games were played then. He wants someone physical to play that spot. Pierre, at that time, said that was working exclusively outside. Austin also said that Sutton was working exclusively outside. Probably for the Reps.

Could be a thing where Pierre plays slot on run downs and then flips with Sutton on pass downs?

They is Tomlin and Colbert. Tomlin said in June that Pierre would be the nickel if the games were played then. He wants someone physical to play that spot. Pierre, at that time, said that was working exclusively outside. Austin also said that Sutton was working exclusively outside. Probably for the Reps.

Could be a thing where Pierre plays slot on run downs and then flips with Sutton on pass downs?
    I honestly hope not. I can just see a 6'2" CB like Pierre getting abused in the slot by a quicker WR like Cole Beasley. Not a good look, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I honestly hope not. I can just see a 6'2" CB like Pierre getting abused in the slot by a quicker WR like Cole Beasley. Not a good look, IMO.
    If they flipped when the three WR set personnel comes in, Sutton would be on Beasley in the slot and Pierre would bounce outside.

Probably won’t have to worry about Beasley...he’s recently been losing his mind as well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2021 Stock Watch – CB James Pierre – Stock Up

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/08/20...re-stock-up-5/

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Big corners like Pierre have to be physical within the 5 yard zone with the receiver and be great tacklers - to make up for any lack of quickness, I don’t know if Pierre is like that, I hope so - looks like he has good awareness for the ball also, I think that’s what made #47 great

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Big corners like Pierre have to be physical within the 5 yard zone with the receiver and be great tacklers - to make up for any lack of quickness, I don’t know if Pierre is like that, I hope so - looks like he has good awareness for the ball also, I think that’s what made #47 great
    well #47 would just throw you down as you would come out of your break too , different times for sure but make no mistake he played a mans game a mans way ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

well #47 would just throw you down as you would come out of your break too , different times for sure but make no mistake he played a mans game a mans way ....
    It was a better brand of football then, my theory has been that Brady would’ve looked more like Dan pastorini if he had played back then but that’s a topic for another thread I guess

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'd welcome any help at secondary