Thread: What other pro sports franchises do you root for/against?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What other pro sports franchises do you root for/against?

I was raised to believe that if you were a fan of a certain team that automatically meant you had to 'hate' the rival of that team. Now though, after watching my kids play youth sports and coaching legit 'kids' over the years, I find it much more enjoyable in most cases to just watch a game for the game without the emotional attachment. There are still those rivalries that I simply have a hard time putting behind me.

One perfect example of what I mean is as a die hard steelers fan I could not care less if the Ravens, Browns, or Bengals ever win another game. In fact, I find myself rooting that they don't.

Another prime example that most of you probably don't know, but as a Memphis Tigers fan I was raised to think I had to hate the Tennessee Vols and the Ole Miss Rebels. And I did for the longest time. Now I actually root for those two schools to succeed nearly as hard as I do for my Tigers. Because it's just better without the hate. (Trust me, SEC schools are pro sports)

Although I do not have any hated rivals in the NBA I am a Grizzlies fan through and through.

I don't get involved with the AL vs NL debates but my rooting interest in MLB are the Royals and the Cardinals.

I really do love hockey. When I lived in the Nashville area(pre-Preds) I had season tickets to the ECHL Nashville Knights. They were a minor club to the Atlanta Knights of the AHL, who were in turn a minor club to the Tampa Bay Lightning. I have always been more of a player fan when it comes to the NHL over any particular team though. So I guess this one is pretty much a cop out but I do want to see the Predators succeed.

Who are teams in other sports you are a die hard fan for? And who are your most hated rivals?

Just a nonsense thread to help pass time.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: What other pro sports franchises do you root for/against?

NFL it’s the obvious teams I root against as a Steelers fan. Due to friends, I like to see the NFC North teams do well. And, also, screw the Cowboys.

For the other big sports, I follow the Sixers, Flyers, and Pirates. Due to trauma in my youth, I hate the Mets and Braves.

College, the Badgers and Penn State and Purdue.

Outside of a direct rooting interest, I will pull for either the underdog or the team that plays the “prettiest” version of the game.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Baseball — the Reds. Grew up in between Cincinnati (Big Red Machine) and Pittsburgh.
    Basketball — the Suns. More recent as I’ve only lived in AZ for 10 years.
    College Basketball — Marshall. My hometown team.
    College Football — Marshall and Notre Dame. Lived in South Bend for 10 years.
    Hockey — No interest.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Football - I root against the Eagles, Ravens, Browns, Bengals.

Baseball - For: Phillies. Against Mets, Braves. Supposed to hate the Pirates, Yankees & Dodgers but I like watching them.

Hockey - For: Flyers. Will also root for the Avalanche. Against Rangers, Islanders and Penguins. Not a fan of the Florida teams either.

Basketball - I casually watch the Sixers. Not invested enough to hate the other teams.

College - For Penn State. Dislike Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida, Florida State and Michigan. I find myself rooting a lot for Georgia and a lil bit for Texas as well. I’ve always like Georgia but I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe because they always come so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NBA - Sixers (alot of high BP moments and many disappointments like tonight)

MLB - Pirates but since they are not a real team. I will watch some White Sox games.

NHL Penguins but not a giant hockey fan.

College Va Tech football and basketball. Georgetown basketball.

Hate ALL Boston teams in every sport

Dont like the other AFCN teams Cowboys and Cheats*

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Baseball — the Reds. Grew up in between Cincinnati (Big Red Machine) and Pittsburgh.
    Basketball — the Suns. More recent as I’ve only lived in AZ for 10 years.
    College Basketball — Marshall. My hometown team.
    College Football — Marshall and Notre Dame. Lived in South Bend for 10 years.
    Hockey — No interest.
    Good luck to you and Kozora. I think the Suns will win it all

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk