Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claypool wide open , here comes the Ben hate wait for it

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Claypool wide open , here comes the Ben hate wait for it

so many times this dude was WIDE open and not seen ...

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Claypool wide open , here comes the Ben hate wait for it

The Steelers were likely hiding Claypool so teams don't key on him. They stopped throwing to him late in the year with the exception of the Cleveland game.

The first Bills clip the offensive line simply collapsed.

A complete breakdown on offense. Courtesy of everything.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ben hate? It is what it is. Facts are facts.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

A lot of those are “out of context”. Sure he blatantly missed him a couple times but you don’t know what the progression was supposed to be and some of them are just flat out focusing on the receiver and not what is happening on the rest of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So many things went wrong offensively last season. I'm of a mind to let that go and watch the reboot this season. We'll see what gets fixed and what still sucks.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I like the ones where Ben makes a good play regardless.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    I like the ones where Ben makes a good play regardless.
    Impossible.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Everything went bad towards the end of the last season. I threw in the towel on the season when we dropped one to the Bengals starting a freakin 3rd string QB.

Sure, every team has their bad games here and there, but you have to be incredibly bad AND shit the bed to lose to the Bengals in that situation.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Claypool running downfield wide open is a direct issue to Ben either not having confidence in his arm strength or he's just incapable of making those throws. The deep route is always his last read and by that time it's too late.

I said this last year and I'll say it again now...Our lack of a vertical passing game is the biggest factor as to why our running game suffered. The safeties can play in the box and not only clog up running lanes, but take away the underneath routes as well. The offense becomes so predictable. You have to keep defenses on their heels.

If Ben can't throw the deep ball this upcoming season then this offense will fail just like it did last year. If you are a big immobile QB then you must have a strong arm. He can't get by on his brain alone. There's too much film on him. Teams know his tendencies and it has been evident.

If he doesn't show the ability to sling it in the first 4 weeks of the season then I'll be ready to see what Haskins or Rudolph can do...as much as it pains me to say that.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It was the Fichtner offense (not calling claypool’s number) struggling O Line, and Ben’s recently reconstructed elbow acting up

New season, new coordinator, new O line and hopefully a healed elbow

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Claypool is going to have an All Pro season.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Everything went bad towards the end of the last season. I threw in the towel on the season when we dropped one to the Bengals starting a freakin 3rd string QB.

Sure, every team has their bad games here and there, but you have to be incredibly bad AND shit the bed to lose to the Bengals in that situation.
    It was the Colts game where I waved the white flag. The team looked functionally dead. Even though they won, it was nothing that screamed that this team was ready for the postseason.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Claypool running downfield wide open is a direct issue to Ben either not having confidence in his arm strength or he's just incapable of making those throws. The deep route is always his last read and by that time it's too late.

I said this last year and I'll say it again now...Our lack of a vertical passing game is the biggest factor as to why our running game suffered. The safeties can play in the box and not only clog up running lanes, but take away the underneath routes as well. The offense becomes so predictable. You have to keep defenses on their heels.

If Ben can't throw the deep ball this upcoming season then this offense will fail just like it did last year. If you are a big immobile QB then you must have a strong arm. He can't get by on his brain alone. There's too much film on him. Teams know his tendencies and it has been evident.

If he doesn't show the ability to sling it in the first 4 weeks of the season then I'll be ready to see what Haskins or Rudolph can do...as much as it pains me to say that.
    You don't even have to throw a deep ball just one 20 yards down field. With Pat F there that should open up a lot of new places to throw. If you can throw the medium routes then the safeties have to guard both medium and deep.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

New season, new coordinator, new O line and hopefully a healed elbow
    Still a 39 year old QB with recent major surgery to his elbow and no longer the player he once was. I'm hoping for a competitive team that can compete for a Wildcard playoff spot. But otherwise hoping that Haskins shows the skills that made him a former 1st round pick, or that Kedon Slovis or JT Daniels is around when the Steelers pick in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Still a 39 year old QB with recent major surgery to his elbow and no longer the player he once was. I'm hoping for a competitive team that can compete for a Wildcard playoff spot. But otherwise hoping that Haskins shows the skills that made him a former 1st round pick, or that Kedon Slovis or JT Daniels is around when the Steelers pick in the draft.

If we find out Ben can’t play anymore I don’t care who plays out the rest of the season - Rudolph or Haskins - if Haskins can show something and make the team I have a feeling there won’t be much difference between the two. I’m not holding out much hope in Haskins being the next great bomber, holding out more hope in Ben’s arm

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If we find out Ben can’t play anymore I don’t care who plays out the rest of the season - Rudolph or Haskins - if Haskins can show something and make the team I have a feeling there won’t be much difference between the two. I’m not holding out much hope in Haskins being the next great bomber, holding out more hope in Ben’s arm
    At best, the Steelers finish 11-5 in a tough division and make the playoffs, to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Ben is a HOF QB, but he hasnt played at that level in several years.

I am not hoping for anything this season. Just going to watch the games from week to week and enjoy football. In the bigger picture, its likely the transition from a past era, to a rebuild of sorts over the next couple seasons.

^ I just hope the transition turns out better than the last time we transitioned from a franchise QB - we ended up with Malone then

^ I just hope the transition turns out better than the last time we transitioned from a franchise QB - we ended up with Malone then
    Malone gets so much hate, but I thought having Stoudt as the next guy up was worse. Sure, Mark Malone was no HOF QB, but he was the QB that helped get them to the '84 playoffs and beat Denver in the '84 playoffs. He could have been worse.

Franchise QB's are hard to find, as we know. Its why I expect to see some focus on getting some Defensive guys like Watt, Fitzpatrick, Bush, Tuitt some longer contracts, so the defense can help aid in the transition to finding another QB when Ben is retired.

Malone gets so much hate, but I thought having Stoudt as the next guy up was worse. Sure, Mark Malone was no HOF QB, but he was the QB that helped get them to the '84 playoffs and beat Denver in the '84 playoffs. He could have been worse.

Franchise QB's are hard to find, as we know. Its why I expect to see some focus on getting some Defensive guys like Watt, Fitzpatrick, Bush, Tuitt some longer contracts, so the defense can help aid in the transition to finding another QB when Ben is retired.
    I think that’s the best thing the Steelers can do, and try to get a QB in the draft - we got Ben at ten so there’s reason to hope the Steelers can get someone who will at least be a solid starter.

regarding Malone, I think he was pretty average and that’s being kind, correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 84 run was mostly due to the defense and running game, wasn’t Malone’s passing, Steelers saw fit to replace him with Brister a few years later - who was actually average.

About stoudt I think he broke his arm in a bar fight in 81 so we’ll never know how good he could’ve been

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I think that’s the best thing the Steelers can do, and try to get a QB in the draft - we got Ben at ten so there’s reason to hope the Steelers can get someone who will at least be a solid starter.

regarding Malone, I think he was pretty average and that’s being kind, correct me if I’m wrong but I think the 84 run was mostly due to the defense and running game, wasn’t Malone’s passing, Steelers saw fit to replace him with Brister a few years later - who was actually average.

About stoudt I think he broke his arm in a bar fight in 81 so we’ll never know how good he could’ve been

[IMG][/IMG]

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Tom Selleck also beat Joe Montana and a really good 49ers team with an excellent defense in 1984, their only loss that year. That 84 Niners team never gets the glory that it should get because da 85 Bears are all anyone remembers from that time period.

I have vague memories of when Malone was drafted. All I remember was he was athletic and Stoudt was just doing mop up duty so nobody knew he sucked so bad. Was he highly touted coming out of college?

Malone was terrible.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Haskins will at least be able to run. Rudolph is a statue, Tom Brady style (w/o the talent) of QB.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Haskins will at least be able to run. Rudolph is a statue, Tom Brady style (w/o the talent) of QB.
    Haskins isn't much of a running QB either.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Haskins isn't much of a running QB either.

yeah wasnt his 40 time in the neighborhood of 5.0

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

yeah wasnt his 40 time in the neighborhood of 5.0
    yup, 5.04.

and at the NFL Combine he also only had a 28.5” vertical jump, so he's not that great of an athlete.

yup, 5.04.

and at the NFL Combine he also only had a 28.5” vertical jump, so he's not that great of an athlete.

pretty much what I was thinking , 5.04 is lineman speed so doubt he will be scrambling much ... sure he may see a whole once in a while a truck could go through and get 5-6 yards before it closes but Ben can still do that with his concrete shoes and bad knees

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I can see no good reason to think otherwise, and if used properly he'll succeed in many more ways than as a long-ball threat.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

yup, 5.04.

I must be confusing him with another QB, those numbers are horrible. Ben ran a 4.75 at his combine. Why did we sign this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Remember when he was drafted and so many posters were thinking he was going to bulk up and be a TE? Who even started that thought as being a possibility?