Thread: Schefter: The Steelers sign former Pro-Bowl guard Trai Turner to a one-year deal

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Schefter: The Steelers sign former Pro-Bowl guard Trai Turner to a one-year deal

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Schefter: The Steelers sign former Pro-Bowl guard Trai Turner to a one-year deal

At least they have a plan for the departure of DeCastro. Makes me a little less stressed about it.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Schefter: The Steelers sign former Pro-Bowl guard Trai Turner to a one-year deal

They had no choice and I assume they had cap room now to pull it off

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers Depot
    @Steelersdepot

Trai Turner: “I’m back at 100 percent. Last year was a rough season for me with injuries & just overall COVID. You go through things & situations arise, but you work through it and you get through it. So, I’m feeling good. I’m just ready to come back & have a phenomenal season.”

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/st...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Super Bowl!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Because of his injury, last season, DeCastro’s win-rate for passing plays were middling… and his run blocking was even worse. He was ranked in the bottom half & bottom third respectively.

If Turner is healthy, Turner would be an upgrade over the 2020 version of DeCastro.

Do not read that incorrectly. A healthy DeCastro from 2018 blows Turnervout of the water, but it is NOT 2018.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Turner signed a 1-year $3 million deal.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...r-trai-turner/

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Turner signed a 1-year $3 million deal.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...r-trai-turner/
    is we are getting Trai Turner of 2019 , we got a hell of a deal
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 06-28-2021 at 07:11 AM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Because of his injury, last season, DeCastro’s win-rate for passing plays were middling… and his run blocking was even worse. He was ranked in the bottom half & bottom third respectively.

If Turner is healthy, Turner would be an upgrade over the 2020 version of DeCastro.

Do not read that incorrectly. A healthy DeCastro from 2018 blows Turnervout of the water, but it is NOT 2018.

I agree.

We watched DeCastro play at such a high level for a long time. Many of us could see the drop-off in play, and we openly said that there must be an injury he was fighting through.

That was not the David DeCastro we were accustomed to seeing. Losing him hurts emotionally, but if Turner is healthy....he's a significant upgrade from last season's version of DeCastro.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    is we are getting Trey Turner of 2019 , we got a hell of a deal

Yes sir!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

is we are getting Trey Turner of 2019 , we got a hell of a deal
    Let’s hope!!

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Super Bowl!
    You can’t help yourself can you!?

I’m really hoping we don’t go to that dark place, when every thread started with how bad our O-line was. So sorry we couldn’t get some of those guys a ring. Pouncey and DeCastro certainly deserve one.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

some will dog this signing with condescending comments but at the end of the day there are way ( good ways ) of masking pass protection deficiencies especially if you prove yourself as plenty capable in the run game ...

it takes but a millisecond of hesitation of a pass rusher to be had by even a below average pass protector ...

run the ball well and throw in some play action and you have accomplished that goal ...

some will dog this signing with condescending comments but at the end of the day there are way ( good ways ) of masking pass protection deficiencies especially if you prove yourself as plenty capable in the run game ...

it takes but a millisecond of hesitation of a pass rusher to be had by even a below average pass protector ...

run the ball well and throw in some play action and you have accomplished that goal ...
    I think the first series in the first game will tell a lot. I personally don’t need to see trick-o-rations, I just want to see a balanced offense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Schefter: The Steelers sign former Pro-Bowl guard Trai Turner to a one-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I think the first series in the first game will tell a lot. I personally don’t need to see trick-o-rations, I just want to see a balanced offense.
    Sometimes a trick play in the first 15 plays will change how a defense attacks the offense…even if it’s a throw away truck play…

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I will still want to see some instances where pass protection is below average from him, before making any judgement.

The guy is 6'3", 310lbs, has long arms and moves fairly well for a big man. Nasty attitude and finisher, strong in the run game and seems to have the tools in the pass pro game. Good signing if healthy. Will play opposite Dotson at the other G and either Finney or Green will be the other G/C active on gameday.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I will still want to see some instances where pass protection is below average from him, before making any judgement.

The guy is 6'3", 310lbs, has long arms and moves fairly well for a big man. Nasty attitude and finisher, strong in the run game and seems to have the tools in the pass pro game. Good signing if healthy. Will play opposite Dotson at the other G and either Finney or Green will be the other G/C active on gameday.
    2019 -6 sacks 4 hits 20 hurries given up .. so he isnt the most reliable pass protector

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

2019 -6 sacks 4 hits 20 hurries given up .. so he isnt the most reliable pass protector
    Yeah, it looks like 2018 is when he started running into a rash of injuries. Ankle, Concussion, knee, groin. From 2014-2017 he looked pretty solid and in the prime.

I dont think its ability, but maybe his injuries caught up with him and his lateral movement isnt what it was when he entered the league and was going to pro bowls. Steelers are taking a cheap gamble on him. Finney may end up being the insurance as may be Rashaan Coward or Aviante Collins.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah, it looks like 2018 is when he started running into a rash of injuries. Ankle, Concussion, knee, groin. From 2014-2017 he looked pretty solid and in the prime.

I dont think its ability, but maybe his injuries caught up with him and his lateral movement isnt what it was when he entered the league and was going to pro bowls. Steelers are taking a cheap gamble on him. Finney may end up being the insurance as may be Rashaan Coward or Aviante Collins.
    Worst case, Turner is just awful and one of the “no name” crew has to be pressed into service.

Even if that happens, Turner is still a great card to play when your all star guard randomly gets taken off the board.

It could be a lot worse. This “plan” may not work out but it’s pretty darn solid as emergency backup plans go.

he is a big dude , so being healthy IMO is paramount to his game ..even what is a small or slight injury to a 200 pound guy is much more when you are 300+ when its lower body ... when he loses movement skills his game suffers dramatically and most of his injuries did just that .. take away the foundation and you cant get leg drive in power football cant anchor and in pass pro cant move to counter ... you're just that big sore thumb that keeps getting his with the hammer over and over again ....

lets just hope he is that HEALTHY dominant man mover he once was

Steelers OG Trai Turner apparently isn’t looking as good as advertised

by Tommy Jaggi

The Pittsburgh Steelers thought they found David DeCastro’s replacement in Trai Turner, but here’s why the offensive guard may not be as good as advertised.

to read rest of article:

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/07/26/...-looking-good/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

A rumor that he hasn't looked good after 3-4 days of training camp??? I think I'll reserve judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    A rumor that he hasn't looked good after 3-4 days of training camp??? I think I'll reserve judgment.
    Yep. Still a lot of training camp left and a lot of conditioning to be done.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Steelers history of adding free agents during Tomlin era is not good. Especially if it was expected from those guys to show up and have an immediate impact. Green, Burnett, Blount, to name a few, were expected to make team better from the get go and those signings brought excitement, at least to me. Granted, injuries and emergence of other players (most notably Bell) derailed those plans and that's hardly Tomlin's fault, but Green for example had a history of concussions before coming to Pittsburgh. I know Steelers weren't big player on free agent market and that Joe Haden (and to some extent Cotchery and Williams) doesn't fit the narrative that I'm trying to paint, but I'm genuinely worried when it comes to free agents we added. Especially injured ones. Of course that doesn't mean I'm rooting against Turner and Ingram, just that I wouldn't be surprised if for some reason they don't pan out.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So I looked through Kaboly's Twitter and skimmed the Athletic articles...can't even find where he said anything about Turner.

This is just the usual sky is falling hot take nonsense by dudes with no access.

Wake me up when Turner looks bad in a preseason game.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So I looked through Kaboly's Twitter and skimmed the Athletic articles...can't even find where he said anything about Turner.

This is just the usual sky is falling hot take nonsense by dudes with no access.

Wake me up when Turner looks bad in a preseason game.
    I looked around also and found nothing in Kaboly's Twitter and some articles. WHat do they expect in football in shorts? Should Trai run around in a gold HOF fame jacket so he's as "good as advertised?"

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I looked around also and found nothing in Kaboly's Twitter and some articles. WHat do they expect in football in shorts? Should Trai run around in a gold HOF fame jacket so he's as "good as advertised?"
    I believe that Jagi (or whatever) has a rep for being full of crap or at least more full of crap than most random Steelers places. But I honestly don't know.

Long story short...my bullshit meter is going off on this one. While Turner may still end up being not good in 2021...I suspect that there isn't cause for alarm yet.

That would be awesome if some guys rocked HOF blazers in practice!