Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers release Pro Bowl G David DeCastro

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Steelers release Pro Bowl G David DeCastro

it's a business, man

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

It's a low class move with that designation, but it's not my money. I guess the Steelers are the same as every other franchise when it comes to that.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

DeCastro could have had surgery back in January. He didn’t; he waited until the start of training camp. The timing makes it appear that DeCastro wants to get paid to rehab (not play) for a portion of the season. Ergo, some of the onus falls on him.

I remember this same situation occurring with another player… with a similar outcome.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Fans complain about keeping players too long past their prime. Fans complain that the Steelers don't pay enough and lose out on FAs and/or UDFA invites. This is one of the few times I personally feel they acted out of character though. I hope the other side of this comes out, and I didn't feel that comment by DeCastro was all that "BASHING" either really, but it paints a picture that he was dumped out of hand and for purely financial reasons.("The owners are billionaires for a reason") I am willing to bet there was a conversation and time allowed to consider a path. DeCastro seems to have decided he was going to have surgery and thus miss all of TC and who knows how much more time. A replacement was needed and fast. Financial decisions were made by the FO that again, I feel is out of character, but had to be done for what's best for the team. I'm not happy this happened to DeCastro but I can give a pass for this out of character move under these circumstances. This time.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar

Please correct me if I am wrong, but what I read is that Steelers put a NFI designation to his release and with that avoided paying him money that is already counting against the cap. So Steelers basically treated his release like he was injured off the field and thus guarantees were voided. His play declined and that's fine, release him. There were no reports during his time here that he was problematic, his demeanor was always impeccable, and basically he sounded like a well rounded, level headed, smart and nice person. As far as I know, faking and avoiding stuff doesn't sound like him. So either he went completely out of character and was deceitful or Steelers are like just any other franchise. I believe in second but I'll eat the crow if it's proven otherwise.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

DeCastro wasn’t being problematic nor was he faking an injury. But, the timing of him reporting his interest in having surgery gave the Steelers a loophole. (Make sense?)

As in…

STEELERS: Why didn’t you have this surgery in January?

DECASTRO: Hmm, good question.

STEELERS: Considering that you waited until the start of training camp appears odd, and gives us an out.

DECASTRO: Dang, you’re right.

Yeah it makes sense. It's a low class move. They used loophole on one of the most respected player in the last decade. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    Yeah it makes sense. It's a low class move. They used loophole on one of the most respected player in the last decade. Good for them.

Question: Why didn’t he have this surgery in January?

Because, even the most casual Steelers fan could see he wasn’t up to par…

As I said he either went completely out of character or Steelers are the same as others. So I guess you think (or know) that the first option is true. I'm not condescending or anything, it just seems really odd, because both options are baffling.

I don’t “know”… and I don’t think that DeCastro is lying. But, the timing of DeCastro wanting surgery puts some of the onus on himself.

As I said, this happened a few years ago with another player, and if I recall correctly, the fact that Player X waited to have surgery set a precedent.

DeCastro could be Mother Teresa… it doesn’t mean he completely understands the cap rules.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I don’t “know”… and I don’t think that DeCastro is lying. But, the timing of DeCastro wanting surgery puts some of the onus on himself.

As I said, this happened a few years ago with another player, and if I recall correctly, the fact that Player X waited to have surgery set a precedent.

DeCastro could be Mother Teresa… it doesn’t mean he completely understands the cap rules.

yeah I mean he had from January on to get surgery , instead waits till OTA's and then discloses , well I think I might need surgery to be able to continue BUT I am not sure if I am gonna continue I could instead retire ... or something to that effect ..

it always burns my ass when players wait out the time longer than the healing time frame to even get the surgery to then miss OTA's / Camp / first part of season ... I mean come on you can't be that dumb to be able to figure out the time frame needed to be recovered and ready to go can you ??
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Okay. I guess it's his fault, and if he deliberately did what he did, I don't know why he's complaining. I guess Stanford education is not as good as advertised.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Like I mentioned before, I hope the other side of this story comes out.

I feel like DeCastro probably got a diagnosis along the lines of 'rest and rehab could work' but if it doesn't surgery will be the next option. I think maybe he gambled he would be ready by now. BUT, now that another surgery is what he's facing it comes down to that or retire. The biggest suck of it is the timing which puts the Steelers in a bind as well. I don't believe the Steelers just dropped DeCastro simply to save money. I'm thinking the situation forced things to end this way. I don't think DeCastro played the Steelers in any way, and I don't think it was the intent of the Steelers to force DeCastro out in a way that he doesn't get paid. The timing, the injury, the long term implications for the season, all came together for this to happen the way it has.

OR it could be greed.

- - - Updated - - -

And there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Like I mentioned before, I hope the other side of this story comes out.

I feel like DeCastro probably got a diagnosis along the lines of 'rest and rehab could work' but if it doesn't surgery will be the next option. I think maybe he gambled he would be ready by now. BUT, now that another surgery is what he's facing it comes down to that or retire. The biggest suck of it is the timing which puts the Steelers in a bind as well. I don't believe the Steelers just dropped DeCastro simply to save money. I'm thinking the situation forced things to end this way. I don't think DeCastro played the Steelers in any way, and I don't think it was the intent of the Steelers to force DeCastro out in a way that he doesn't get paid. The timing, the injury, the long term implications for the season, all came together for this to happen the way it has.

OR it could be greed.

- - - Updated - - -

And there it is.

pretty much ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/06/de...inst-steelers/

Longer version of the radio interview without the Twitter clickbait quote.

Sounds less angry in this version. So who knows.

I still say there’s a gap between what Decastro thinks and what the Steelers think about all this, hence the NFI release instead of PUP list or retirement.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    It's a low class move with that designation
    Is it true? If so, how does that make it low class?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is it true? If so, how does that make it low class?
    As I previously stated I'll eat the crow if I was mistaken. I was and I'm not enjoying my dinner. DeCastro obviously wasn't sure what he wants to do and was buying time. Steelers couldn't wait any longer. That's it. There's just one thing, they voided his remaining guarantees with NFI and that's the only thing I was referring to when I was trying to prove some kind of point. But it's a moot point. He wasn't sincere, Steelers moved on, case closed.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He’s getting old, his buddies are all gone, he has nagging injuries,

typical things that make us all rethink the direction of our professional careers, happens to everyone

maybe the dedication is not there and the Steelers recognized it - if anything it tells me the Steelers are all in for this season

since he played the vast majority of the 2020 season and played the final stretch he was deemed healthy enough to play at seasons end ... no team activities since thus NFI designation is the proper one even if it is a bit unsettling to some ...

sure the team could have waited to see but by then they would have been without ability to secure his replacement and the entire team and franchise suffer instead of the 1 man ..

Football is a team sport so the right move was in fact made IMO