Thread: Lev Bell - I'd retire before I played for Andy Reid again

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Lev Bell - I'd retire before I played for Andy Reid again

he is getting good at burning bridges

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-...022110839.html
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Lev Bell - I'd retire before I played for Andy Reid again

In all fairness, neither Gase nor Reid used Bell remotely close to as effectively as the Steelers did. Did his talent dip? Maybe. Did it dip to the level that we’ve seen? Probably not. Reid used to be a guy who would run his RB until the wheels fell off and then some...not anymore.

I think his decision not to accept the Steelers deal, clearly, goes down as one of the dumbest decisions in the history of professional sports contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In all fairness, neither Gase nor Reid used Bell remotely close to as effectively as the Steelers did. Did his talent dip? Maybe. Did it dip to the level that we’ve seen? Probably not. Reid used to be a guy who would run his RB until the wheels fell off and then some...not anymore.

I think his decision not to accept the Steelers deal, clearly, goes down as one of the dumbest decisions in the history of professional sports contract negotiations.
    maybe , maybe not ... one could argue taking a year off was a bad thing for his game and perhaps he never recovered fully from it ...

regardless there is no escaping the fact that he has bad things ot say about every stop he has made in his career ..... Tomlin is reportedly a players coach that most love and the organization is beloved by pretty much everyone not named Bell or Brown ...

Gase is a mixed bag with mostly negative reviews I suppose ...

Andy Reid is a beloved coach much like Tomlin by his players ......

Bell dislikes them all it seems .... the only common denominator is Bell ... guess his reflection in the mirror is Christ like ( perfection ) ... my point is he finds bad everywhere and is vocal about it , he hasnt had star power in several years and father time is ticking on him , it would likely be in his best interest to learn how to stfu but instead the wanna be rapper can do anything but .... dude is starting to be considered toxic and him "retiring" before playing again for Andy Reid type comments travels quickly around the small circle or the coaching fraternity ... if this sort of act continues he may find himself retiring sooner rather than later out of lack of opportunity .... toxic and cancer are a few terms that come to mind and neither are very welcome on most NFL rosters

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He’s toast!! If the Steelers would have signed him to a second contract it would have gone done as one of their worst contract signings ever. He was the prototypical 5-year back.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

maybe , maybe not ... one could argue taking a year off was a bad thing for his game and perhaps he never recovered fully from it ...

regardless there is no escaping the fact that he has bad things ot say about every stop he has made in his career ..... Tomlin is reportedly a players coach that most love and the organization is beloved by pretty much everyone not named Bell or Brown ...

Gase is a mixed bag with mostly negative reviews I suppose ...

Andy Reid is a beloved coach much like Tomlin by his players ......

Bell dislikes them all it seems .... the only common denominator is Bell ... guess his reflection in the mirror is Christ like ( perfection ) ... my point is he finds bad everywhere and is vocal about it , he hasnt had star power in several years and father time is ticking on him , it would likely be in his best interest to learn how to stfu but instead the wanna be rapper can do anything but .... dude is starting to be considered toxic and him "retiring" before playing again for Andy Reid type comments travels quickly around the small circle or the coaching fraternity ... if this sort of act continues he may find himself retiring sooner rather than later out of lack of opportunity .... toxic and cancer are a few terms that come to mind and neither are very welcome on most NFL rosters
    What did Bell say bad about Tomlin?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He’s toast!! If the Steelers would have signed him to a second contract it would have gone done as one of their worst contract signings ever. He was the prototypical 5-year back.
    I tend to lean that way but I’m not convinced. They knew how to use him and he was special when he was in Pittsburgh. He and AB were two of my favorites to watch. Shame it all went sideways…lol.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Seems like a pattern with this guy. Every team he plays for he wants off of and ends up criticizing at the end (including the steelers for not paying an arm and a leg for him). Sadly I bet some on here still want to bring bell back for some reason.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Who is this guy we're talking about again? Bell has played for two of the best HCs in the NFL in Tomlin and Reid. That's about the best he can expect to get, IMO. If he wants to play for somebody like McVay(the HC that was magical a few years ago) or play for the CHEATS, he should just have his agent call them like everybody else. OR retire.

What did Bell say bad about Tomlin?
    not directly at tomlin but the organization in which Tomlin leads via coaching , when you take shots at the organization you are taking shots at its coach imo as he is the one who leads the team ...

cant ignore Tomlins comments either about Bell and Brown being gone he said its addition by subtraction meaning ( to me ) they were both headaches and cancers

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I tend to lean that way but I’m not convinced. They knew how to use him and he was special when he was in Pittsburgh. He and AB were two of my favorites to watch. Shame it all went sideways…lol.
    Bell had one great year for the Steelers (2014 -- 7 years ago) and one good year in 2016. His last year with the Steelers (2017), he barely made it to 4.0 YPC. He was a 5-year back, even in Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

He and brown were great talents, it is sad they cut their time in Pittsburgh short and effectively ruined the later part of their careers, who knows how far the Steelers could’ve gone in 18 and even 19 had they (and Bryant) had their heads on straight, even with Ben out we likely would have been in the playoffs in 19, even last year they could’ve helped make a difference

- Steelers do know how to find talent on offense

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    He and brown were great talents, it is sad they cut their time in Pittsburgh short and effectively ruined the later part of their careers, who knows how far the Steelers could’ve gone in 18 and even 19 had they (and Bryant) had their heads on straight, even with Ben out we likely would have been in the playoffs in 19, even last year they could’ve helped make a difference

- Steelers do know how to find talent on offense
    other than Manny Sanders pretty much nobody did squat after leaving ...so one might start to think they was a product of the Ben factor .....

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Find it interesting how people blamed Adam Gase for Bell's disappointment in the Jets. Well he had Andy Reid who has had success with RBs in the past, not to mention the most explosive offense in the NFL headed by the best QB in the NFL and he still didn't make an impact

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

other than Manny Sanders pretty much nobody did squat after leaving ...so one might start to think they was a product of the Ben factor .....
    No doubt Ben made them look good, but we also haven’t had a better wr duo since Brown and Bryant nor a better RB than Bell (hopefully Najee changes that)

I think them not doing anything since leaving Pittsburgh is also a testament to Tomlin’s ability to handle and motivate guys with character issues

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Find it interesting how people blamed Adam Gase for Bell's disappointment in the Jets. Well he had Andy Reid who has had success with RBs in the past, not to mention the most explosive offense in the NFL headed by the best QB in the NFL and he still didn't make an impact
    Gase is big time anti-RB. That’s well known…he’s just a bad coach who doesn’t utilize any talent properly as a HC.

Reid has gone through a change. He used to run the wheels off of the RBs (Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook). Since being with the Chiefs though, it appears he’s kinda started using more of a RBBC over the years. I wonder if he sold Snell a bill of goods that he went back on?

Gase is big time anti-RB. That’s well known…he’s just a bad coach who doesn’t utilize any talent properly as a HC.

Reid has gone through a change. He used to run the wheels off of the RBs (Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook). Since being with the Chiefs though, it appears he’s kinda started using more of a RBBC over the years. I wonder if he sold Snell a bill of goods that he went back on?

I remember it much differently so I have to go look so I randomly selected 2004 ( Duce's last year as an Eagle ) Andy Reids teams ran the ball as a team a total of 376 times and Passed 547 times ( not even balanced let alone running the wheels off anyone)

after seeing that I was like hmm let me check another few years to be sure memory served right and not a lucky pick of a small sample ...

2002 ... 548 pass attempts rush attempts 489 so more balanced ....

2003 .... 484 pass vs 417 run pretty balanced

2005... 620 pass vs 365 run ( pass heavy for sure )

2006... 544 pass vs 416 run ( pass heavy )

2007 ... 577 pass vs 421 run ( pass heavy )

fast forward to his last year in Philly 2012

618 pass vs 413

is it any worse in KC ( the run pass ratio ) ?

2018 583 pass vs 387 run
    2019 576 pass vs 375 run
    2020 630 pass vs 403 run

I'd say Andy Reid since 2003 had been a pass happy coach he has never been truly balance but early on was fairly close to being a balanced attack guy but that has been gone for nearly 20 years

Reid is a west coast guy but he overused the RBs that he has had.

Examples:

Duce Staley in 1999 had 325 rushing attempts and 41 receptions. Only Torrance small had more receptions. The next closest RB in rushing was Eric Bienemy with 12 touches.

Brian Westbrook in 2007 had 278 rushing attempts and 90 receptions. Cornell Buckhalter was next closest with 62 rushing attempts. About half came from two games where Westbrook was injured and rested.

I mean you look at LeSean McCoys numbers and it’s roughly the same.

Just picking Todd Gurley and his highest workload was 274 and 60+ catches.

Reid was well known for working the RB as much as he could. It’s one of the Eagles fans gripes about him over the years.

Bell 2017 Steelers 321 rushing 85 receptions ( 15 games ) ...

Steelers as a team in 2017 590 passes ... 437 rushes so not much different would ya say ?

Bell had 73% of the rushing attempt work load in 15 games played ( team played 17 games )

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Bell had over 1200 carries with the Steelers. Only 327 since leaving. I don't think his beef with Reid is him being over-worked. Must be something off-field between coach and player.

Bell 2017 Steelers 321 rushing 85 receptions ( 15 games ) ...

Steelers as a team in 2017 590 passes ... 437 rushes so not much different would ya say ?

Bell had 73% of the rushing attempt work load in 15 games played ( team played 17 games )
    Right and people bitched about Tomlin over using him.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Bell had over 1200 carries with the Steelers. Only 327 since leaving. I don't think his beef with Reid is him being over-worked. Must be something off-field between coach and player.
    I think maybe being under utilized. I think Bell was sold a bill of goods, CEH gets injured and Bell is rarely used or inactive. I’m guessing that’s where the beef comes from. But who knows what the real story is. Quite possible Reid didn’t think Bell knew the playbook enough or whatever it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    For the entirety of the playoffs last year, despite being healthy, Bell got 2 carries for 6 yards.

For the entirety of the playoffs last year, despite being healthy, Bell got 2 carries for 6 yards.
    not very effective ( small as hell sample size tho ) when you have the most prolific passer in the game under center ... clearly nobody was playing 8 men in the box on those carries ..

my guess is ...

A) as suggested above he just didn't show that he knew the playbook

or

B) his work ethic in practice didn't outshine other backs on the roster thus he didn't earn the snaps because others outworked and out performed him in the practice setting thus they got the work during the games ( as they should )

not very effective ( small as hell sample size tho ) when you have the most prolific passer in the game under center ... clearly nobody was playing 8 men in the box on those carries ..

my guess is ...

A) as suggested above he just didn't show that he knew the playbook

or

B) his work ethic in practice didn't outshine other backs on the roster thus he didn't earn the snaps because others outworked and out performed him in the practice setting thus they got the work during the games ( as they should )
    or...

C) He now sucks.

or...

C) He now sucks.

should not be ignored as a possibility

RB Le'Veon Bell signing with Ravens practice squad

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

one year vet minimum