Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers offensive lineman has honest comment on approach to 2021 season

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Steelers offensive lineman has honest comment on approach to 2021 season

Steelers Offensive Lineman Has Honest Comment On Approach To 2021 Season

Matt Audilet

Entering the final year of his rookie contract in 2021, Steelers offensive lineman Chukwuma Okorafor will look to maximize his value as he approaches free agency next offseason.

But when asked about his approach to Year 4 during a Thursday video conference call, Okorafor said he’s not too concerned about his contract standing.

“I mean, honestly, I have one job, and it is to play, whether it’s my second year or my last year on my deal,” Okorafor said, per TribLive.com “I don’t really focus on that (contract) yet. I still have — what? — six, seven, eight months until I have to look at it.”

Impending contract negotiations aside, Okorafor has another big change coming up this season. With longtime Pittsburgh left tackle Alejandro Villanueva signing a two-year deal with the Ravens this offseason, Okorafor will shift from the right tackle position to fill this voided role.

He had experience at both positions during his collegiate years with Western Michigan.

“Honestly, I’m just going to do whatever I am told,” Okorafor said. “Whether it’s left tackle, whether it’s right tackle, I have done both, so it doesn’t really matter that much to me. I won’t be working any more or less (pending) that.”

With this move across the line, Zach Banner will reclaim his starting right tackle position. Okorafor started the final fifteen games of the season at RT after Banner tore his ACL in the 2020 opener.

Read the rest here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...Jbn?li=BBnbfcL

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers offensive lineman has honest comment on approach to 2021 season

PFF Ranks The Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Line 29th In The NFL

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I predict the o line that be top 12 in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

What a shocker.... PFF and their "unbiased" data they use. LoL.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Considering it’s a brand new O-Line, the grade should probably be incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Considering there may be and probably will be some measure of growing pains within a new scheme and new guys playing together. I guess we will see.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Considering there may be and probably will be some measure of growing pains within a new scheme and new guys playing together. I guess we will see.

pretty much . all we truly know is how each man has played in the past and try and guess what he may look like at a different spot on the line , a different scheme , and with a different man playing beside him ...

so many unknowns and so much projection to be anything close to accurate ....

this is a work in progress and we wont have a clue what we have until the season starts to unfold
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Don't worry Ben's "mobility" will save us (dripping with sarcasm).

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Dotson is an instant upgrade.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Moats is all kinds funny.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Dotson is an instant upgrade.
    Agreed. Klemm is the bigger upgrade IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Bold prediction: By season's end the Steelers will have a top5 ranked OL.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I hope you’re right!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

After last year I'd be happy with top 15

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

but I just don't see it...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah, I think this is where the potential lies at this point. If DeCastro came back healthy I think he, Chuks, Dotson, Banner would be a good core of guys. It always leans on health, but if Trai Turner and most of the other guys remain healthy, I think they can be really good.

I'm leaning on the belief that Green is going to take the starting Center job at the close of Camp and the opening day line will be LT-Okorafor, Dotson, Green, Turner, Banner. Reserves are Finney, Moore Jr. Coward and Haeg. (Aviante Collins and Jarron Jones will be in the mix as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I think we all would. But then that would not have been a BOLD prediction.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am having a hard time seeing this being a top half the league o-line. Maybe next season. I can certainly see and expect them to be better than last year, but not a massive amount.

None of these guys have played together. New scheme. Who is making the line calls? The rookie center? The "rookie" LG? The new LT or RT? Perhaps the new RG, but is he a smart and capable guy that can do that?

I expect the o line will have peaks and valleys and be inconsistent in 2021 but could stabilize into a strength the following year.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I see improvement across the whole line

Chucks 2021 > AV 2020
    Dotson 2021 > Dotson 2020
    Bj/Green 2021 > Pouncey 2020
    Turner 2021 > DeCastro 2020
    Banner 2021 = ~ Feiler 2020
    Freirmuth/Ebron 2021 >> Ebron 2020

How much improvement is not easy to say but it has to be a considerable improvement over last year I would say in the top half of the league

Not to mention they probably will have better coaching this year

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It would be great if you all were right. But this is starting to remind me of other recent ranking threads that got more than a bit hyperbolic and then were used to get angry about the actual outcomes of games/season. Ben for MVP. Claypool for rookie of the year. Undefeated season. Etc.

I can't think of the last time an NFL team shuffled all 5 starting spots on an oline and the consistent improvements you all are predicting in one off-season. I mean, if the Steelers buck that trend and suddenly find a way to do it - great. But y'all are setting yourselves up for massive disappointment by expecting something that the NFL has repeatedly proven is unrealistic.

Green is rookie. He is going to have growing pains both mental and physical adjusting to the NFL. If nothing else, he will (like literally almost every non top 20 pick) have to make significant improvements in strength and conditioning to reach his full NFL potential. Dotson has played a handful of NFL snaps and remains totally unproven and without significant experience. What happens when teams start stunting and twisting all over the place and he has Chuks on one side and possibly a rookie on the other? No one messes up? I find that hard to believe.

How many snaps has Chuks played at LT? Like I think he will be fine...but still.

Banner is a mountain of man with repaired knee ligaments. And Turner hasn't played a full season since like forever ago.

I like the potential and possibility of this group of lineman and the "reset" needed to happen. AV and Pouncey and the rest were not going to get better with age. But to go from bottom half to top half in a season? That almost never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It would be great if you all were right. But this is starting to remind me of other recent ranking threads that got more than a bit hyperbolic and then were used to get angry about the actual outcomes of games/season. Ben for MVP. Claypool for rookie of the year. Undefeated season. Etc.

I can't think of the last time an NFL team shuffled all 5 starting spots on an oline and the consistent improvements you all are predicting in one off-season. I mean, if the Steelers buck that trend and suddenly find a way to do it - great. But y'all are setting yourselves up for massive disappointment by expecting something that the NFL has repeatedly proven is unrealistic.

Green is rookie. He is going to have growing pains both mental and physical adjusting to the NFL. If nothing else, he will (like literally almost every non top 20 pick) have to make significant improvements in strength and conditioning to reach his full NFL potential. Dotson has played a handful of NFL snaps and remains totally unproven and without significant experience. What happens when teams start stunting and twisting all over the place and he has Chuks on one side and possibly a rookie on the other? No one messes up? I find that hard to believe.

How many snaps has Chuks played at LT? Like I think he will be fine...but still.

Banner is a mountain of man with repaired knee ligaments. And Turner hasn't played a full season since like forever ago.

I like the potential and possibility of this group of lineman and the "reset" needed to happen. AV and Pouncey and the rest were not going to get better with age. But to go from bottom half to top half in a season? That almost never happens.
    This isn't a ranking thread. I just 'predicted' the OL coming together and being really good by season end. Not worth tearing apart and appraisal worthy analysis at all. Not even a little.

This isn't a ranking thread. I just 'predicted' the OL coming together and being really good by season end. Not worth tearing apart and appraisal worthy analysis at all. Not even a little.
    You said you had a bold prediction that they would be top 5. Others said they could see top 15. What else would you call it?

I mean, I like the potential that is in the OL group as much as the next person....but y'all immediately went way over the top with it. Pointed out why I thought that. Was hoping someone would have something that was behind their predictions.

I realize that Klemm and others give nice sound bites...but so does every single NFL team this time of year. Not like anyone is saying that they plan on playing meek and letting their opponents dominant.

You said you had a bold prediction that they would be top 5. Others said they could see top 15. What else would you call it?

I mean, I like the potential that is in the OL group as much as the next person....but y'all immediately went way over the top with it. Pointed out why I thought that. Was hoping someone would have something that was behind their predictions.

I realize that Klemm and others give nice sound bites...but so does every single NFL team this time of year. Not like anyone is saying that they plan on playing meek and letting their opponents dominant.
    Nope. Just a little pre-TC prediction. All there was to it. Top 15-16 should be a goal EVERY year, IMO. I'm not even 100% sure all the criteria that goes into OL ranking. But there is always one pre-season and then again post-season. I think I saw somewhere the Steelers OL was ranked 28th pre-season for 2021. I'm predicting a top5 finish. Where is my 'proof' they will finish top5? That is sort of the point behind a BOLD prediction isn't it?

Nope. Just a little pre-TC prediction. All there was to it. Top 15-16 should be a goal EVERY year, IMO. I'm not even 100% sure all the criteria that goes into OL ranking. But there is always one pre-season and then again post-season. I think I saw somewhere the Steelers OL was ranked 28th pre-season for 2021. I'm predicting a top5 finish. Where is my 'proof' they will finish top5? That is sort of the point behind a BOLD prediction isn't it?
    Of course you can not have proof for a prediction...but you can have a chain of reasoning. Other than sunshine and rainbows quotes from Klemm...what points to top 5 final season rank for you? You have clearly thought about it...so what were your thoughts...legitimately interested in hearing them.

That is sort of the point behind a BOLD prediction isn't it?
    Dare to be bold....I like it!

Of course you can not have proof for a prediction...but you can have a chain of reasoning. Other than sunshine and rainbows quotes from Klemm...what points to top 5 final season rank for you? You have clearly thought about it...so what were your thoughts...legitimately interested in hearing them.
    Nope. Once again just a BOLD prediction. Not sure where we don't seem to meet exactly.

Nope. Once again just a BOLD prediction. Not sure where we don't seem to meet exactly.
    Fair enough. In my experience, most predict things based on existing patterns and information as a springboard to the future. But if it was just a random stray thought...that's fine as well. I thought it was interesting and wanted to explore the basis for the prediction further.

Fair enough. In my experience, most predict things based on existing patterns and information as a springboard to the future. But if it was just a random stray thought...that's fine as well. I thought it was interesting and wanted to explore the basis for the prediction further.
    I think its somewhere on the scale of "guessing"-"guesstimating"- "estimating" .

I will give you my rationale of top 15. Okorafor has shown athletic ability and pass protection skill that I think will translate well to the LT spot. Still going to run up against some great rushers, but will do well in pass protection, but run blocking could be better, but AV wasnt good last year, so an upgrade.

Dotson is big, nasty, athletic and did well as a rookie, making the all rookie team. If he continues to progress, he is an upgrade over Feiler at G.

Green, sure he is a rookie and will be drinking from the fire hose of information at Center, but by all accounts he has "IT", that guy that changes the tone of the room when he enters it. I think he will bring energy, enthusiasm, physical nastiness and athletic abilities to the position that Finney cant match.

Trai Turner...the big question mark of if you are getting the pro bowl Trai Turner, or the worst free agent from the Chargers since Cam Thomas and Ladarius Green were Steelers. The contingency is Finney, who could just be a free agent that fills in solidly at guard, much like Ramon Foster did early in his career.

Zach Banner, is also a question mark about health, but if he can come back healthy he is a guy with solid skills at RT. Size, physicality, decent on his feet for such a large guy in pass protection. The contingency is Dan Moore Jr., who has really quick feet and long arms, but from the limited film I saw on him isnt a road grader, but likes to get an edge on defenders and finish them. So he doesnt put defenders on skates, as much as on the ground and that is OK.

As for Klemm, I know to you its just words and coach speak, but for me its the understanding of the differences between a coach saying "do your job" and a coach that feels his nuts tingle when he tells his players "do your job with a moth#&fu@(ing nasty intent and put the guy across from you on his G()Ddamn back, you bitch!". Klemm played a certain way, expects his guys to play a certain way and was likely just like a pack of Mentos inside a bottle of Coke last year as an assistant O line coach for the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think its somewhere on the scale of "guessing"-"guesstimating"- "estimating" .

I will give you my rationale of top 15. Okorafor has shown athletic ability and pass protection skill that I think will translate well to the LT spot. Still going to run up against some great rushers, but will do well in pass protection, but run blocking could be better, but AV wasnt good last year, so an upgrade.

Dotson is big, nasty, athletic and did well as a rookie, making the all rookie team. If he continues to progress, he is an upgrade over Feiler at G.

Green, sure he is a rookie and will be drinking from the fire hose of information at Center, but by all accounts he has "IT", that guy that changes the tone of the room when he enters it. I think he will bring energy, enthusiasm, physical nastiness and athletic abilities to the position that Finney cant match.

Trai Turner...the big question mark of if you are getting the pro bowl Trai Turner, or the worst free agent from the Chargers since Cam Thomas and Ladarius Green were Steelers. The contingency is Finney, who could just be a free agent that fills in solidly at guard, much like Ramon Foster did early in his career.

Zach Banner, is also a question mark about health, but if he can come back healthy he is a guy with solid skills at RT. Size, physicality, decent on his feet for such a large guy in pass protection. The contingency is Dan Moore Jr., who has really quick feet and long arms, but from the limited film I saw on him isnt a road grader, but likes to get an edge on defenders and finish them. So he doesnt put defenders on skates, as much as on the ground and that is OK.

As for Klemm, I know to you its just words and coach speak, but for me its the understanding of the differences between a coach saying "do your job" and a coach that feels his nuts tingle when he tells his players "do your job with a moth#&fu@(ing nasty intent and put the guy across from you on his G()Ddamn back, you bitch!". Klemm played a certain way, expects his guys to play a certain way and was likely just like a pack of Mentos inside a bottle of Coke last year as an assistant O line coach for the Steelers.
    That all makes sense. And kinda what I was curious about. I am overall more pessimistic about each individual point than yourself and others appear to be. But that is not surprising...I tend to be overly pessimistic about all things Steelers and then I can be pleasantly surprised when they exceed my minimal expectations.

On the Klemm stuff....I totally get what you're saying. I think it is my pessimism again more than not acknowledging that there is/can be some "truth" to what Klemm is preaching. When they start doing it on the field...then I will totally be impressed and 100% sold on Klemm and his approach. Until then...I remain positive but skeptical.

According to the OP article, Chuks is trying to earn his next contract. Whether that is here or elsewhere he's still going to have to ball out to get starting LT money. The incentive is there. The 'want to' is there, considering his comments. And the opportunity is there. I'm thinking he blows up in a good way this season.