Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strackbein: 10 Players Who Impressed at Steelers OTAs

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Strackbein: 10 Players Who Impressed at Steelers OTAs

Rashaad Coward, Guard
    David DeCastro wasn't on the field for OTAs this summer, and with limited depth on the offensive line, Coward was the fill-in. Not that offensive linemen did much in team activities, but the 26-year-old out of Old Dominion had plenty of reps to adjust to the offense.

What stood out was that Coward never got replaced. For three weeks, he ran with the first team. It doesn't say he'll be the starter this season or even make the team, but it's a good start for someone looking for a roster spot and a team looking for depth.

Mark Gilbert, Cornerback
    The Steelers brought in a group of undrafted corners, hoping one of them stick. There are three that stood out, including Gilbert. While the other two - Lamont Wade and Shakur Brown - are more fitted for the slot, Gilbert brings size for the outside.

Gilbert is listed at 6'1, 175-pounds. His mother tells me he's 190. He looked every bit of it, has good reaction time and shut down wideouts, including names like Chase Claypool.

Injuries kept Gilbert off the radar coming out of college. If he can stay on the field, he's got a shot at this team.

James Pierre, Cornerback
    Look, James Pierre is a giant question mark, but he looks good enough.

Justin Layne isn't standing out enough to make noise. Pierre is. And until proven otherwise, that should mean he's the guy on the outside when Sutton bounces to the slot.

At 6'2, 185-pounds, Pierre looks big, physical and plays comfortably. The step between year one and OTAs has been pretty significant. Now, it's about continuing to show that progression.

Continue reading here:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-r...-steelers-otas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Strackbein: 10 Players Who Impressed at Steelers OTAs

Yes, he looked like a good quarterback. His ball was tight, he has all the attributes of an NFL passer and Big Ben seems to be very fond of him. He didn't look any better than Mason Rudolph or Josh Dobbs, though.

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes, he looked like a good quarterback. His ball was tight, he has all the attributes of an NFL passer and Big Ben seems to be very fond of him. He didn't look any better than Mason Rudolph or Josh Dobbs, though.

Ouch.
    Have to look at the source of the article and realize its his opinion. He may be 100% correct, but if you look him up he was in journalism at Penn St from 2015-2019 and he lists a job as a cashier up to 2018 on his linkedin page. Just maybe he doesn't have as keen of an eye for football players performance as some other guys in the media, as much as he can spot somebody trying to pass a fake $20 bill for their groceries?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What I liked most about this article is although he definitely lists 10 players and claims these 10 had 'impressive' OTAs, he seems to also list the caveat. He really talked up some of the young secondary players as well which leaves me optimistic going forward into TC without that known commodity being brought in yet. Optimistic yes, but nobody has put the pads on and gotten after the contracts yet either. Mainly optimistic about reading more of these type articles come TC time and hopefully finding that diamond in the rough.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Never articulates why the player looks impressive.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Have to look at the source of the article and realize its his opinion. He may be 100% correct, but if you look him up he was in journalism at Penn St from 2015-2019 and he lists a job as a cashier up to 2018 on his linkedin page. Just maybe he doesn't have as keen of an eye for football players performance as some other guys in the media, as much as he can spot somebody trying to pass a fake $20 bill for their groceries?
    The internet is the world's biggest costume party.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The internet is the world's biggest costume party.
    And it’s not really the OP author’s fault. Just a young kid trying to break into sports journalism. How much does Bouchette or Kaboly really know about the technical parts of the NFL? By their own periodic self-assessments, not much.

What is gross and annoying is that “brands”, like Sports Illustrated, buy up or create these content mill “fan sites” and pay no one and provide zero resources.

So you get poorly edited forced content by folks with little experience and almost no access or resources. But it has that “SI” label on it, so, for many, that still marks it as authentic or quality.

Reality is that like 50% of the internet it’s just clickbait nonsense to hang ad space off of.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah I'm confused. Says Haskins impressed but looked no better than Rudolph or Dobbs, isn't that like an oxymoron lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Yeah I'm confused. Says Haskins impressed but looked no better than Rudolph or Dobbs, isn't that like an oxymoron lol
    Basically.

It is what you get when you fire all of your actual reporters and writers, "hire" fresh-faced grads to replace them (most of these sites don't pay anyone just string them along with the hopes of monetizing the brand or whatever) and force them to write a stream of content to help sell ad space.

Pretty much useless...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    None of these guys ever do. Even the great Matthew Marzetti or whatever his name is doesn’t give reasons…at least this kid tried to form an opinion and not just regurgitate another sites articles and pass it off as their own like some other websites. Not gonna mention any names but Healers Repo may ring a bell…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Kozora puts all the writers to shame. He does great work.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Maybe Dave Bryan can copy/paste this guy’s work?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I thought he explained that since nobody is in pads yet the 'impressive' stuff should be taken with a grain of salt. Not in those exact words but I got that from when I read it. So makes sense to me the author didn't go into much detail but instead simply listed some players worth looking at moving forward. None of this is going to be Pulitzer worthy or anything more than simple fan food while we wait on 'real news' to happen.

Incredibly and expectedly, Steelers Depot has already recycled this report into one of their “own” articles about Haskins.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Incredibly and expectedly, Steelers Depot has already recycled this report into one of their “own” articles about Haskins.
    Blitzburgh is that you?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Blitzburgh is that you?

No I think you must be him.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

20-0!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    20-0!
    Post. Of. The. Season!!!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Can't wait to see Harris and Fryermouth in action

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Brooke Pryor
    @bepryor

And by the way, Pierre, a second-year UDFA competing for a starting CB spot, picked off Ben Roethlisberger twice.

"It's precious to get one of those."

Said Roethlisberger came up to him after practice, gave him a fist-bump and said good job.

James Pierre had two interceptions today, including one during a two-minute drill. He said that one was his favorite because it really got the guys on the sideline hyped up.

Said he came in today extra driven after making one bad play yesterday, wanted to make up for it.

Jun 16, 2021

https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1405250458768318468

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm liking the James Pierre reports. They may have found a gem, a lot of good buzz going back to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Brooke Pryor
    @bepryor

And by the way, Pierre, a second-year UDFA competing for a starting CB spot, picked off Ben Roethlisberger twice.

"It's precious to get one of those."

Said Roethlisberger came up to him after practice, gave him a fist-bump and said good job.

James Pierre had two interceptions today, including one during a two-minute drill. He said that one was his favorite because it really got the guys on the sideline hyped up.

Said he came in today extra driven after making one bad play yesterday, wanted to make up for it.

Jun 16, 2021

https://twitter.com/bepryor/status/1405250458768318468
    That's both good and bad news!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'm liking the James Pierre reports. They may have found a gem, a lot of good buzz going back to last season.
    When asked about Pierre, Teryl Austin beamed for nearly five minutes.

Tomlin had similar things to say, but Tomlin used more poetic words. Obviously.

Who knows he could be a great pickup. Could be another Malcom Butler type who went undrafted since he ran a 4.62 but ended up being a pretty good player

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    When asked about Pierre, Teryl Austin beamed for nearly five minutes.

Tomlin had similar things to say, but Tomlin used more poetic words. Obviously.
    Dispite no true offseason last year, he came into training camp and made plays, and when he was on the field he "look the part".

I'm excited. Add in Tre Norwood, Antoine Brooks(he's been replacing the Hilton role) getting praise, the DB room may not be bad shape after all...

Dispite no true offseason last year, he came into training camp and made plays, and when he was on the field he "look the part".

I'm excited. Add in Tre Norwood, Antoine Brooks(he's been replacing the Hilton role) getting praise, the DB room may not be bad shape after all...
    Indeed

And, Yes, both Norwood and Brooks have both been having a good minicamp.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Has Brooks leaned out and gotten quicker somehow? He was drafted as a 220lb safety that was better in run support near the box, but now he is working out as a slot CB?? I pictured his play as more of an undersized Mark Barron LB/S tweener than somebody to cover slot receivers.

I guess we will see when they get the pads on.

Has Brooks leaned out and gotten quicker somehow? He was drafted as a 220lb safety that was better in run support near the box, but now he is working out as a slot CB?? I pictured his play as more of an undersized Mark Barron LB/S tweener than somebody to cover slot receivers.

I guess we will see when they get the pads on.
    I'm not sure, it's just been noted by Teryl Austin that Brooks has been in the slot. They want a physical present to replace Hilton it seems.

Yep, once the pads come on, we'll see who rises and falters. I'm just glad to read good reports from the young DB's.

I'm not sure, it's just been noted by Teryl Austin that Brooks has been in the slot. They want a physical present to replace Hilton it seems.

Yep, once the pads come on, we'll see who rises and falters. I'm just glad to read good reports from the young DB's.
    Yeah, a lot of fans thing the sky is falling when Nelson and Hilton departed, but so many just doubt James Pierre, when he showed some good traits getting the field last year due to injury. And with Sutton waiting to play either slot or outside, the Steelers are fine at DB. Norwood gives some safety depth that can cover, kind of like Mike Logan was.

Similar with the O line. Lots of doubters about that group, but they actually have some decent depth and skill starting with a core of guys like Decastro, Dotson and Okorafor.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Yeah, a lot of fans thing the sky is falling when Nelson and Hilton departed, but so many just doubt James Pierre, when he showed some good traits getting the field last year due to injury. And with Sutton waiting to play either slot or outside, the Steelers are fine at DB. Norwood gives some safety depth that can cover, kind of like Mike Logan was.

Similar with the O line. Lots of doubters about that group, but they actually have some decent depth and skill starting with a core of guys like Decastro, Dotson and Okorafor.
    Did you say... Sky is Falling?

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg