Thread: Per Rapoport: Former Colts Safety Malik Hooker visited the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Per Rapoport: Former Colts Safety Malik Hooker visited the Steelers.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1400812299439546368

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Per Rapoport: Former Colts Safety Malik Hooker visited the Steelers.

Well...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

And...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Well...

no need for any of us to comment on this, the members here on this message board don't count.

since you started a new thread it went out on Twitter so other outside people can see and read it.

that's the only thing that's important.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Hookers mentions have been off of the charts.

STEELPICKLE: Our defense would be really good with @MHooker in the secondary.

STEELYMCBEER: The Buccos suck, but hey, at least the Steelers might sign @MHooker

FORTPITT412: I was eating at Peppi’s and I swear that I saw @MHooker there.

PRINCIPALJONES: Parents, promotion is on Wednesday at 9:00. Make sure that your attire is dressy, but suits are not required… unless @MHooker shows up.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

btw: Hooker has been replying to quite a few of them (mostly to the people saying they’ll buy him a meal or beer if he signs): “I’m going to hold you accountable for that free meal.”

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I'd love to see him sign at league min for 2021 with a 8 million 2022 and 2023 team option .. then I might get another chance at seeing him play live .... I mean its been like 7 years since that has happened ( New Castle his hometown is 10 miles from my front door so seen him play high school for the Red Hurricanes a few times )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Does he play SS or FS? Or a combo of both?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Does he play SS or FS? Or a combo of both?
    he can play either , that said he isnt the most durable guy so I would play him at Free to minimize contact with traffic and let Minkah free lance from the SS spot much like we did Troy ...

making Edmunds the top backup and sub package guy vs TE's ( a good problem to have )

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Steelers already have Brooks Jr, they brought in Arthur Maulet, and drafted Tre Norwood. And Stiner and Wade were considered good UDFA pickups just recently. Adding Malik Hooker is probably an instant upgrade but I don't think he is a long term answer.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The Steelers already have Brooks Jr, they brought in Arthur Maulet, and drafted Tre Norwood. And Stiner and Wade were considered good UDFA pickups just recently. Adding Malik Hooker is probably an instant upgrade but I don't think he is a long term answer.
    I doubt any of those guys are either. That said, it’s a final quest for Ben to get us #7.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    As is, he’s going to have to take a $1.25M year contract with voidable years to fit in the cap. Not sure he would do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They need another cb (at least)

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    As is, he’s going to have to take a $1.25M year contract with voidable years to fit in the cap. Not sure he would do that?

hard to say .. signing with Pittsburgh puts him literally 45 mins from his moms house , 45 min from his High school field and all his family ... that could be incentive esp if Colbert said look we want you long term but we just do not have the cash right now but next year we can hook you up for a 4 years 30 million deal ... I mean it could work right ?

I can not help but imagine a healthy Hooker along with Minkah manning the middle of the field

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

hard to say .. signing with Pittsburgh puts him literally 45 mins from his moms house , 45 min from his High school field and all his family ... that could be incentive esp if Colbert said look we want you long term but we just do not have the cash right now but next year we can hook you up for a 4 years 30 million deal ... I mean it could work right ?

I can not help but imagine a healthy Hooker along with Minkah manning the middle of the field
    I mean we’ve seen how people like to give up money to play in Pittsburgh...Ben, JuJu, Tyson...it wouldn’t be shocking...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

If they want Hooker (or some other player), cap space is not an issue.

1. Restructure Tuitt and/or several other players. With the MOST cap space of any team in 2022, they can easily push forward a signing bonus or four. Speaking of which…

2. Hooker could sign a three-year, $15 million contract, with a $6 million signing bonus.

2021: $1.33 million (vet minimum)
    2022: $4.67 million (plus $6 million bonus)
    2023: $3 million

The “bonus” would essentially be his contract for this season. If he gets cut after 2022, he still gets his $6 million plus the vet minimum… $7.33 for one season guaranteed. Or, he stays and plays for $4.67… with both sides having the option to extend.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I doubt any of those guys are either. That said, it’s a final quest for Ben to get us #7.
    Not sure I agree with you. I don’t think this is the “final quest” for anything. #7 is just the next step before #8 and then #9.
    As for who is the long term answer at Safety for this defense I like the guys already here chance over Malik Hooker. Not that I dislike Malik, let me get out in front of that. I just think Minkah is our FS. Something like 7INTs in his 2 seasons here. Why would you mess with that? Malik has already missed significant time with 2 right knee injuries, so I only see him as a FS in this defense. It’s the middle defense/slot/NB that needs to get addressed if there is another FA brought in. Just my opinion here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I try to never get into the money part of the NFL. As a fan just something I’ve never had interest in. I wish all the players as much money as they can get. My concern with Malik Hooker is more about position fit within this defense.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I'd love to see him sign at league min for 2021 with a 8 million 2022 and 2023 team option .. then I might get another chance at seeing him play live .... I mean its been like 7 years since that has happened ( New Castle his hometown is 10 miles from my front door so seen him play high school for the Red Hurricanes a few times )
    Now I know where to send the drone strike. I just have to guess which 10 miles!

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Now I know where to send the drone strike. I just have to guess which 10 miles!

here is a better approximation .. Birthplace of 1958 All American basketball player Don Hennon , Birthplace of current NFL defense man Steven Johns , Birthplace of 1962 MLB rookie of the year Richie "Dick" Allen .. yea my sleepy little town is pretty special to me lol