Thread: RE: Alex Highsmith - analytics

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

RE: Alex Highsmith - analytics

Some really fascinating analytics on Highsmith by Cynthia Frelund, NFL Network's Analytics Expert. She named him the Steelers most underappreciated player.

"In his rookie season, the third-rounder made a tackle on nearly 10 percent of his snaps (9.9 percent tackle rate). This was the second-highest rate among edge defenders last season (min. 400 snaps). While I don't expect his rate to stay that high -- with the departure of Bud Dupree, he'll play a higher volume of snaps and have a more visible role that will command more attention -- but I do expect big things to continue. The two main reasons for that: 1) In terms of his speed in the first 3 yards traveled, Highsmith ranked in the top 10 percent in 2020; and 2) his hips stayed facing the quarterback even after contact at a rate in the top 15 percent (this helps predict recovery and pursuit of pressure)."

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-most-...alex-highsmith

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Alex Highsmith - analytics

That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I saw that article this morning. We don't know how Highsmith's career will progress, but from what I saw last year (he passed the eye test for me), combined with the stats I have seen regarding his play last year it is possible he ends up being looked back on as an absolute steal in the third round. I am excited to watch him this Fall.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I also read that Highsmith is dedicating himself to film study this year. He said that he thinks he was getting off a little late last year do to inexperience and a truncated preseason. He is apparently getting very good study habits thanks to the examples of TJ and Minkah.

He said something like, everyone who makes it to the NFL has physical talent. But the difference between good and great is dedication and studying the game.

I like the kid’s attitude.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't think we're going to miss Dupree. I think Highsmith will be better.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't think we're going to miss Dupree. I think Highsmith will be better.
    Bold statement Cotton....lets see how that works out.

Highsmith is more of a technician and hustle guy with the pass rush. Watched some tape of him at Charlotte and already saw he had at least 4 pass rush moves and a high motor. The thing he doesnt have that Dupree had is the freakish athleticism and closing speed. So I think Highsmith is going to put the work in and be solid in the run game and I think he is going to be better at getting pressures than Dupree, but we will see if he puts up big sack number, or just "gets close to the QB a lot of times", because he may not be the athlete that will get home as much. Either way, I like the young man, the pick and feel good with him and Roche in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Bold statement Cotton....lets see how that works out.

Highsmith is more of a technician and hustle guy with the pass rush. Watched some tape of him at Charlotte and already saw he had at least 4 pass rush moves and a high motor. The thing he doesnt have that Dupree had is the freakish athleticism and closing speed. So I think Highsmith is going to put the work in and be solid in the run game and I think he is going to be better at getting pressures than Dupree, but we will see if he puts up big sack number, or just "gets close to the QB a lot of times", because he may not be the athlete that will get home as much. Either way, I like the young man, the pick and feel good with him and Roche in the mix.
    I live in cotton country haha.

Neither does Watt have the freakish athleticism. He's OK. Not the AH is gonna be Watt, but I think he can exceed Bud (who most considered to be a bust for most of his Steelers career).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I live in cotton country haha.

Neither does Watt have the freakish athleticism. He's OK. Not the AH is gonna be Watt, but I think he can exceed Bud (who most considered to be a bust for most of his Steelers career).
    I think if you look up Watt's measurables he showed quickness and explosiveness. 37" vertical and his 3 cone drill(6.79) was in the 90%ile for OLB. He is a better athlete.

All that being said, I really liked Highsmith's motor and multiple pass rush moves in his draft year. He has a spin move that is impressive. I pictured him as a guy that could be Clark Haggans or better production. But his 33" vertical 3 cone (7.32) are not in the athletic range of Watt to be a guy that gets home for the sack as much, but will get pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think if you look up Watt's measurables he showed quickness and explosiveness. 37" vertical and his 3 cone drill(6.79) was in the 90%ile for OLB. He is a better athlete.

All that being said, I really liked Highsmith's motor and multiple pass rush moves in his draft year. He has a spin move that is impressive. I pictured him as a guy that could be Clark Haggans or better production. But his 33" vertical 3 cone (7.32) are not in the athletic range of Watt to be a guy that gets home for the sack as much, but will get pressures.
    Yes, I agree that Watt is a good athlete, but Bud is a freak athlete.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yes, I agree that Watt is a good athlete, but Bud is a freak athlete.
    https://tenor.com/view/super-freak-m...s-gif-17147960