Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger in The Athletic

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger in The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    To the bold I could say the exact same thing , I mean this is the FIRST time you are using the word athleticism as the argument , before it was physically demanding two completely different arguments
    Seriously, I thought that the subject of being a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE implied athleticism.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

was carrying a 5 gallon bucket full of coolant for my cnc machine at work and someone stretched a air hose across the floor between the supply room and my machine , I seen it at the last moment side stepped to go past a coil in the hose and the handle of the bucket caught on the handle of a cabinet door and tore a bunch of shit in my shoulder cause I didnt let go of the bucket of coolant ...
    ouch!

hopefully workers comp paid for all your medical expenses.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    ouch!

hopefully workers comp paid for all your medical expenses.

yeah ouch sums it up pretty much ....

luckily 100% covered ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I don’t think Ben would’ve retuned if he didn’t think he could play at a high level

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Roethlisberger in The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    As happy as I am for you... could we all stop with our injury/recovery comparisons with professional athletes? It couldn't be more apples and oranges.
    I guess I don’t understand your logic? Because Ben is an athlete his elbow is somehow different? It is biology, if your arm, leg, stomach is cut into, in order to get the strength back it requires time and PT. Why wouldn’t Ben’s elbow/arm be stronger a year removed from his surgery like my shoulder. I was able to most things a few months after my surgery, but my shoulder would get fatigued much quicker and I could stop using it for awhile. Ben couldn’t do that, he had to use his elbow more as the season wore on, and honestly I think his inaccuracy and deep ball suffered from fatigue (and the terrible gameplan). I fully expect him to be better this year AND pissed off that everyone is writing him off as washed up. I hope he plays with that chip in his shoulder all season into the playoffs.

PS I just had my shoulder scoped and a bone spur cleaned out (had a frozen shoulder) and it took a year to get back to 100%. Granted my PT was cut short due to COVID, but I still did all the stuff I was supposed to do. Ben had multiple tendons re-attached, far more invasive.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I guess I don’t understand your logic? Because Ben is an athlete his elbow is somehow different? It is biology, if your arm, leg, stomach is cut into, in order to get the strength back it requires time and PT. Why wouldn’t Ben’s elbow/arm be stronger a year removed from his surgery like my shoulder. I was able to most things a few months after my surgery, but my shoulder would get fatigued much quicker and I could stop using it for awhile. Ben couldn’t do that, he had to use his elbow more as the season wore on, and honestly I think his inaccuracy and deep ball suffered from fatigue (and the terrible gameplan). I fully expect him to be better this year AND pissed off that everyone is writing him off as washed up. I hope he plays with that chip in his shoulder all season into the playoffs.

PS I just had my shoulder scoped and a bone spur cleaned out (had a frozen shoulder) and it took a year to get back to 100%. Granted my PT was cut short due to COVID, but I still did all the stuff I was supposed to do. Ben had multiple tendons re-attached, far more invasive.
    For me, the difference is that if I need to fix my elbow, it just has to come back and do basic elbow things. Range of motion, ease of movement, lift some stuff, or whatever. An NFL QB has to retain the ability to throw a football through a brick wall while hitting a specific brick at a specific time from 50 yards away. That places a FAR higher demand on the basic physical structures than me going out and engaging in my job activities that range from typing and moving a computer mouse on the easy end to to lifting 30-50 pounds, to hand digging holes for a couple of hours on the higher load end. If I lose some strength and stamina in the elbow, would anyone besides me notice the difference? Even a touch here or a bit there and that is a massive and obvious difference for a high-end pro athlete.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I am a year older and a year removed from my shoulder surgery, and my arm is stronger so . . .
    The way I read this statement is not as a comparison to Ben at all. The question posed was why would Ben's arm be stronger with Ben being a year older. The point I took here was about Ben being 1 year removed from the surgery and 1 year recovered from the injury, so that is why it would be stronger even if Ben is 1 year older. Rotorhead merely answered a dumbass question with the obvious answer, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mark Kaboly
    @MarkKaboly

To be fair about Canada's quote on Ben, I think he was talking about specifics routes and concepts that Ben is comfortable with and not necessarily no play-action, no running the ball and throwing the ball 50 times.

June 15

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/statu...5Es1_&ref_url=

Mark Kaboly
    @MarkKaboly

To be fair about Canada's quote on Ben, I think he was talking about specifics routes and concepts that Ben is comfortable with and not necessarily no play-action, no running the ball and throwing the ball 50 times.

June 15

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/statu...5Es1_&ref_url=
    the red looms large ....

Kaboly isn't a proven thinker but it looks like he is a world class eater tho

DJ picking up right where he left off last year it seems .....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's the Steelers offense that we all know so very well!!

Tannenbaum Says Big Ben Will Be Bad In 2021: ‘I Expect Him To Be Benched By The Middle Of The Season’

by: Dave Bryan

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/07/ta...of-the-season/

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tannenbaum Says Big Ben Will Be Bad In 2021: ‘I Expect Him To Be Benched By The Middle Of The Season’

Didn't read it because I'm sure its the same old Sh##. People have gone mad craving attention. Talk about a pandemic! Why do these people think their opinion matters?

Seriously, I thought that the subject of being a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE implied athleticism.
    my bad I forgot Tom Brady was "athletic" just because someone plays a professional sport does not make them automatically athletic ...

pro bowlers , golfers many QB's , nose tackles , mauling guards are far from athletic but they are pro athletes

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yay! the GM who drafted Booger Butt Fumble!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

is that Haskins in the number 3 jersey? He looks twice the size of Dobbs, width-wise....no wonder he can't run

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’m Pretty sure if the Steelers went 1-7 and Ben was healthy, they wouldn’t bench him.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Yay! the GM who drafted Booger Butt Fumble!
    when Tannenbaum was let go it marked the End of an Error.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Same stuff some of us have been arguing all off-season. The suck does not fall on Ben. It falls on poor OL play, dropped passes, shotgun and horizontal offensive scheme allowing defenses the advantage. If the OL becomes a middle of the pack OL and the drop issues get fixed, this offense will do well. If not, it won't matter who's calling plays or under center.

Out of all the radio guys out there, I dislike McAfee the most. A former punter who plays tough guy and likes to hear himself talk.

Out of all the radio guys out there, I dislike McAfee the most. A former punter who plays tough guy and likes to hear himself talk.
    ??? He's pretty entertaining and has no problem taking shots at himself. He has a big personality. Personally, I think he should be doing MNF. It'd be a heck of a lot more entertaining, that's for sure.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

my bad I forgot Tom Brady was "athletic" just because someone plays a professional sport does not make them automatically athletic ...

pro bowlers , golfers many QB's , nose tackles , mauling guards are far from athletic but they are pro athletes
    I've seen a lot of guards and NT's that were great athletes. Decastro was one of them. I'm willing to bet an average NFL guard or nose tackle can outrun average joe, and easily bench press over 400 lbs. Combining that size with strength / ability to move, these guys are elite athletes. Even seen any of Ziggy Hood's workouts? Even Big Casey as huge as he was could move for a big man.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Honestly fellas, for what is a 15 yard out from the near hashmark, that ball doesnt get to the sideline with a heck of a lot of velocity. Definitely looks like father time is tugging on the jersey of #7.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Honestly fellas, for what is a 15 yard out from the near hashmark, that ball doesnt get to the sideline with a heck of a lot of velocity. Definitely looks like father time is tugging on the jersey of #7.
    No. No. Don't you realize that a year older means a year stronger and his arm is A-OK now! Plus last seasons struggles with velocity, accuracy, timing, and fatigue were due to a poor run game, bad offensive line, terrible OC, and the phases of the moon. But nothing to do with the physical degradation of an aging QB coming off a significant injury.

And to be clear, I am well aware that there is a realistic future where I get all of my statements from the past 6 months about Ben R's performance and physical abilities shoved right back at me for mocking and derision. That's fine! But I do refuse to concede the point that it is possible (probable?) that many Steelers fans are far too optimistic about what Ben is as a QB in 2021+.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I have my doubts about Ben also, but no matter who is throwing to Johnson be it Mahomes, Brady, Rogers or Ben, he is still going to be dropping balls. Perhaps I'm wrong but I can't think of any WR on the Steeler team pasted that had the most NFL drops and turned into a trustworthy, dependable WR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    No. No. Don't you realize that a year older means a year stronger and his arm is A-OK now! Plus last seasons struggles with velocity, accuracy, timing, and fatigue were due to a poor run game, bad offensive line, terrible OC, and the phases of the moon. But nothing to do with the physical degradation of an aging QB coming off a significant injury.

And to be clear, I am well aware that there is a realistic future where I get all of my statements from the past 6 months about Ben R's performance and physical abilities shoved right back at me for mocking and derision. That's fine! But I do refuse to concede the point that it is possible (probable?) that many Steelers fans are far too optimistic about what Ben is as a QB in 2021+.
    The funny part is everybody does actually understand that Ben now is less than Ben prime. How much less has always been the point of debate. Year1 back from his surgery was probably a weaker arm overall than year2 back from his surgery will be. That is a point to be proven or disproven. The velocity of one ball thrown in OTAs with pads off isn't even worthy of discussion though. But trolls will find ways to start arguments if things stay quiet too long I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The funny part is everybody does actually understand that Ben now is less than Ben prime. How much less has always been the point of debate. Year1 back from his surgery was probably a weaker arm overall than year2 back from his surgery will be. That is a point to be proven or disproven. The velocity of one ball thrown in OTAs with pads off isn't even worthy of discussion though. But trolls will find ways to start arguments if things stay quiet too long I guess.
    Fair and valid points. But the constant drumbeat of how it is all the dropped passes, poor o-line play, and a bad OC is, for me personally, irritating. And I realize others mileage may vary, but the general refusal amongst paid Steelers observers and fans to acknowledge that Ben flat out struggled in 2020 regardless of any other issues is more than a bit pie in the sky.

Somehow it has changed from "Ben made all these WRs great" to "the WRs are destroying the offense" without acknowledging the contradiction inherent in those two statements.

Somehow an offensive line with 5 new starters is going to be leaps and bounds better than a highly experienced and decorated line was in one off-season? And that will lead to the QB correcting his accuracy and velocity issues on passes downfield?

It just reads like everyone is desperate to come up with scenarios aside from the obvious one that 2021 Ben R is going to look a heck of a lot like 2020 Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, or the final season or so of Eli Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

that’s just one pass, you have to sit through a whole day of practice watching Ben throw to make a good assessment of his passing - that’s what the coaches are doing. If Ben is really struggling with his passing we’ll hear about it soon enough. I don’t think he himself would want to put the team in a tough spot if he were struggling- I think he would call it quits at that point.