Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anything interesting going on at OTAs?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Anything interesting going on at OTAs?

Great to see Devin Bush running.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Great to see Devin Bush running.
    Hell yeah!

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The mind doesn't understand the word "don't". Its a principle that Dr. Bob Rotella, Sports Psychologist touches on in his books and teachings. So its something I take out of my coaching vocabulary and advise others to do as well.

Example. "Dont drop the football". "Dont miss this free throw". " Dont be short with this tee shot and hit it into that creek". "Dont bite on the pump fake when in man coverage".

I bet where you can see how these phrases can be improved. Its a small detail, but it imprints an image in the mind of those you are saying it to, or those athletes that are engaging in "self-talk". Just an interesting tidbit I thought I would share.
    Yes.

This is because "don't" is a negative. It induces a sense of nervousness and the nerves 'fire' faster. It it a higher state of physical energy and a lower state of mental energy.

By never instilling that negative, the body reacts positively to it because no higher energy thoughts are involved.

It is the "zone" state. It is a state of mindfulness.

You are not thinking about what you are doing, you are just doing it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I see what you are saying, but what Klemm is doing is a bit different. Human beings think in words, pictures and emotions. Example, I bet there is a specific song or 2, that its words and sound, conjure up a mental image of say 15-20 years ago, where you and Mrs. Teegre had a memorable time and it brings up certain emotions (hopefully positive). Those positive emotions motivate you to try and do something to replicate that feeling.

Klemm remembers what its like to whoop ass on the field. He remembers the satisfaction of moving another man to where you want him to go, against his will. He knows that his guys on the O line have all experienced that as well and is using words, to reproduce the pictures and emotions in their minds to a time when they were finishing blocks and dominating the opposition.

Then their subconscious mind wants to chase that feeling of whooping ass on the field and works to chase it and achieve it. Its using the principles of Gestalt theory to motivate football players, whether Klemm knows that or not. I have had some experience with sport psychology and psychology of performance over the years.
    The two things are not mutually exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

The mind doesn't understand the word "don't". Its a principle that Dr. Bob Rotella, Sports Psychologist touches on in his books and teachings. So its something I take out of my coaching vocabulary and advise others to do as well.

Example. "Dont drop the football". "Dont miss this free throw". " Dont be short with this tee shot and hit it into that creek". "Dont bite on the pump fake when in man coverage".

I bet where you can see how these phrases can be improved. Its a small detail, but it imprints an image in the mind of those you are saying it to, or those athletes that are engaging in "self-talk". Just an interesting tidbit I thought I would share.
    Yep

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Yes.

This is because "don't" is a negative. It induces a sense of nervousness and the nerves 'fire' faster. It it a higher state of physical energy and a lower state of mental energy.

By never instilling that negative, the body reacts positively to it because no higher energy thoughts are involved.

It is the "zone" state. It is a state of mindfulness.

You are not thinking about what you are doing, you are just doing it.
    So what your saying is that when we have trolls like Tom444 that I should not say "Please don't post here," but instead say, "It would be great if you post somewhere else." Do I have that right?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    So what your saying is that when we have trolls like Tom444 that I should not say "Please don't post here," but instead say, "It would be great if you post somewhere else." Do I have that right?
    With trolls that I actually think the highest probability of him leaving would be "Don't leave this forum"

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Kind of, in a sense. A troll is trying to pass his negativity onto you because he doesn't want it. He has too much of it.

So it would take a lot of positive re-enforcement to do, which a lot of people don't have patience for because the negativity has already been passed off to you.

And you are trying to give it right back.

Make sense?

I would say the best way to handle a troll would be a positive response to their posts (real, not fake). But the whole group would have to have the same mindset, which would be difficult to do because everyone handles stress differently.

The troll would eventually just become a normal poster (and good member of the community) or they would realize that what they are wanting to have happen is not happening so at a certain point it no longer becomes worth the effort, so they go elsewhere.

The worst thing to do is to feed the same thing into it that the troll is doing.