Thread: Can Kendrick Green successfully switch from guard to center? It worked for Dermontti Dawson

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Can Kendrick Green successfully switch from guard to center? It worked for Dermontti Dawson

Dermontti Dawson never played center other than on the scout team at the University of Kentucky. After being a second-round draft choice of the Steelers in 1988, he started five games at right guard, his college position, his rookie season in the NFL.

But, during the offseason, coach Chuck Noll called him into the office and told Dawson he was being switched to center. He was going to replace nine-time Pro Bowler Mike Webster, who was released following the 1988 season.

“I had no problem,” Dawson said. “I just remember when the media got hold of it everyone asked me, ‘Do you think you will be a good center, you’re following Mike Webster?’ I said just give it time and we’ll go from there.”

The Steelers can only hope the latest player to transition from college guard to NFL center — rookie Kendrick Green — works out so well.

Beginning in 1989, Dawson started 166 consecutive games, was named first-team All-Pro six times, voted to seven Pro Bowls and became acclaimed as the NFL’s first pulling center. His career landed him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame alongside Webster — making the Steelers one of only two teams to have two centers enshrined.

“It’s amazing to have that success at center following Mike and Mike making into the Hall of Fame and then me following him,” Dawson said the other day on the phone from his home in San Diego, where he has lived for 11 years. “That’s almost unheard of.”

Continue reading here: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202105170016

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Re: Can Kendrick Green successfully switch from guard to center? It worked for Dermontti Dawson

This is very interesting at least, and might prove to be a good litmus test in regards to the prior example set by Dawson, who came from a different era under a different coach.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Can Kendrick Green successfully switch from guard to center? It worked for Dermontti Dawson

Green was on Twitter asking about where to eat in Pittsburgh… “beside Premanti’s”

Banner replied, “It’s Primanti’s… rookie.”

Primanti Bros. replied/gave Banner free sandwiches for life.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

That's a lot of sandwiches.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Green was on Twitter asking about where to eat in Pittsburgh… “beside Premanti’s”

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Gotta love Banner!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Zach is ready to haze the rookies especially on the o-line lol. He also nearly frightened Najee when they met lol

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Zach is ready to haze the rookies especially on the o-line lol. He also nearly frightened Najee when they met lol

Even in the NFL, there are some guys that are just different. Banner is a humongous human being.

I remember meeting Eagles tackle Tre Thomas. He was an unbelievably large man. I felt like a small child next to him!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I dunno if that's a good thing, don't want him to transform into jamain stephens lol

i remember the time i had a sandwich there, i was literally full for the next 24 hours. I didn't each breakfast or lunch the next day because I was still full

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Even in the NFL, there are some guys that are just different. Banner is a humongous human being.

I remember meeting Eagles tackle Tre Thomas. He was an unbelievably large man. I felt like a small child next to him!
    I remember meeting “Big Snack” at the James Farrior Foundation weekend here in Richmond. (Summer after the SB win against AZ). He was at every food station on the golf course. They must have customized a helmet for him, because I have never seen a head that big. Really funny man. Everyone was trying to get him to hit a golf ball, he said, “I use to play, but since I’ve lost all this weight, I’ve lost all my distance”. Everyone lost it.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I remember meeting “Big Snack” at the James Farrior Foundation weekend here in Richmond. (Summer after the SB win against AZ). He was at every food station on the golf course. They must have customized a helmet for him, because I have never seen a head that big. Really funny man. Everyone was trying to get him to hit a golf ball, he said, “I use to play, but since I’ve lost all this weight, I’ve lost all my distance”. Everyone lost it.
    Casey Hampton's head looks like a watermelon lol

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    BANNER: Welcome to the Steelers.

NAJEE: Dang… that’s a BIG dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I dunno if that's a good thing, don't want him to transform into jamain stephens lol

i remember the time i had a sandwich there, i was literally full for the next 24 hours. I didn't each breakfast or lunch the next day because I was still full
    I know I’m not alone in saying this…

Primanti’s is OVERRATED!!!

Give me Peppi’s.
    Give me a pepperoni roll from Mancini’s.

Give me Peppi’s.
    Give me a pepperoni roll from Mancini’s.
    I tried the Roethlisburger at Peppi's. Same story, full till dinner time the next day lol. those things must have 5000 calories

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I'm hoping he can move bodies. Being able to get to the 2nd level in a hurry is real nice, but if you lose at the point of attack it's all for nothing

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm hoping he can move bodies. Being able to get to the 2nd level in a hurry is real nice, but if you lose at the point of attack it's all for nothing
    The reality of the NFL is that the guys on the defensive side of the line are just as good, just as big, just as strong. Moving bodies really means getting leverage under a guy to move him25-50 inches in most cases. Just like fans talk about "opening holes" on the offensive line, when its really more of "sealing up creases or seams" for the RB's to run.

Green will be quick in getting leverage on defenders and depending on the blocking schemes that the offensive playbook calls for, he will be at an advantage in pulling in space or getting 2nd level on combination blocks. The one thing is getting overpowered by larger guys in the A gaps and in pass protection, but I think his quick feet will help in pass pro. I just dont know if you count on running 4th and 1 A gap, which isnt a big deal IMO.