Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moats: Should The Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Melvin Ingram Or Justin Houston?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Moats: Should The Pittsburgh Steelers Sign Melvin Ingram Or Justin Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That might indeed be the case. Because, while Houston has far more sacks AND Houston has the name recognition (three All Pro seasons and the sack leader in 2014), Houston hasn’t made a Pro Bowl (nor an All Pro team) in half a decade. Maybe Houston is a “sack only” type of player at this point… …but, I honestly don’t know, because I didn’t watch him with the Colts.

The drop off between what the two players can demand on the open market might have more to do with Ingram’s injury history (than a difference in their levels of play).
    All true. Plus, sacks cost more. If you want a guy to come in on 3rd downs and just rush the passer...Houston is the choice. But if you want a guy that can do that (even if to a lesser degree) AND also step in for an injured starter and do 3-4 OLB things besides pass rush...then Ingram is a "better" choice?

Agree that if he wasn't injured past two seasons, this wouldn't be happening. Interesting to see what he shows in camp/preseason.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ingram will wear #8 in honor of Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All true. Plus, sacks cost more. If you want a guy to come in on 3rd downs and just rush the passer...Houston is the choice. But if you want a guy that can do that (even if to a lesser degree) AND also step in for an injured starter and do 3-4 OLB things besides pass rush...then Ingram is a "better" choice?

Agree that if he wasn't injured past two seasons, this wouldn't be happening. Interesting to see what he shows in camp/preseason.
    I totally understand that he’s an OLB, but if the injury bug hits at ILB, do you think he could potentially fill in there if need be? With Vince retiring I worry about our depth inside. Seems to me that Ingram could play the position at least as well as Marcus Allen.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I totally understand that he’s an OLB, but if the injury bug hits at ILB, do you think he could potentially fill in there if need be? With Vince retiring I worry about our depth inside. Seems to me that Ingram could play the position at least as well as Marcus Allen.
    That is is damning with faint praise!!

In all seriousness...I don't know about ILB full time....but I do wonder if they go back to that package they used with some success last season with Watt/Dupree/Highsmith all on the field at the same time...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

That is is damning with faint praise!!

In all seriousness...I don't know about ILB full time....but I do wonder if they go back to that package they used with some success last season with Watt/Dupree/Highsmith all on the field at the same time...
    Yeah, I think you get my point. I wasn’t so much praising Ingram as I was damning our ILB depth.

Maybe if Bush or Spillane goes down we see that 3 OLB package as our base formation.

Yeah, I think you get my point. I wasn’t so much praising Ingram as I was damning our ILB depth.

Maybe if Bush or Spillane goes down we see that 3 OLB package as our base formation.
    If UG III finally stays health...I think he would do fine. In fact...he might be better than Spillane. But he is never healthy.

Also, Buddy Johnson or whatever his name is from the draft seems to be a much stronger prospect than a lot of his pre-draft press indicated.

I've been talking myself into there being depth at ILB...after all, I thought the team was doomed if Spillane had to play!

If UG III finally stays health...I think he would do fine. In fact...he might be better than Spillane. But he is never healthy.

Also, Buddy Johnson or whatever his name is from the draft seems to be a much stronger prospect than a lot of his pre-draft press indicated.

I've been talking myself into there being depth at ILB...after all, I thought the team was doomed if Spillane had to play!
    I don’t really know too much about our ILB draft pick, but I too am cautiously optimistic about UG3 if he can stay healthy.

I think maybe seeing Marcus Allen as our primary backup for one of the ILB spots on our newly released depth chart has me a little jumpy.

I don’t really know too much about our ILB draft pick, but I too am cautiously optimistic about UG3 if he can stay healthy.

I think maybe seeing Marcus Allen as our primary backup for one of the ILB spots on our newly released depth chart has me a little jumpy.
    Right?! I really like how hard Allen plays and how much he wants to do things...but he is just too small to take on offensive lineman in the hole and get to the RB. I wish he was like 20 pounds heavier and he'd be really fun to watch.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The thought of Marcus Allen as a primary backup at ILB is understandably un-nerving. He was supposedly too slow to stick at Safety and is a bit under-sized at ILB. Yet he still makes plays as an inside defender. I don't know if he's got enough 'ass' should he meet Nick Chubb in the hole to be more than a speed bump but I do have confidence he has enough experience as a defender to get there. Now, having said that, I would much rather it be Melvin Ingram be the one meeting Chubb. Or really anyone else in that LB room.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The thought of Marcus Allen as a primary backup at ILB is understandably un-nerving. He was supposedly too slow to stick at Safety and is a bit under-sized at ILB. Yet he still makes plays as an inside defender. I don't know if he's got enough 'ass' should he meet Nick Chubb in the hole to be more than a speed bump but I do have confidence he has enough experience as a defender to get there. Now, having said that, I would much rather it be Melvin Ingram be the one meeting Chubb. Or really anyone else in that LB room.
    I feel like he was decent playing the position last season or am I making things up?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I feel like he was decent playing the position last season or am I making things up?
    Yes he was decent. He made plays. My worry is can he hold up for most of or part of a season as the starter if needed. He is not ILB sized compared to the rest.

He was but, unless I am totally making this up, there were multiple plays where once an offensive lineman got his hands on him, Allen got pushed right out of the play. If he can avoid any and all blockers, he finds the ball and makes the tackle. But I might be remembering it all wrong.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

From the reports I’m reading, Ingram is playing some ILB.

He was but, unless I am totally making this up, there were multiple plays where once an offensive lineman got his hands on him, Allen got pushed right out of the play. If he can avoid any and all blockers, he finds the ball and makes the tackle. But I might be remembering it all wrong.
    I can’t remember either but Inremember thinking that Tomlin was getting a lot out of these backups, Allen being one of them.

I can’t remember either but Inremember thinking that Tomlin was getting a lot out of these backups, Allen being one of them.
    Agreed. Whatever Allen's deficiencies are/were as an ILB...they are fairly reasonable for a converted safety running as the third string option!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

For the last few games, Tomlin didn't have much choice. He had Williamson, Allen and UG3 (barely) and no one else at ILB

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    For the last few games, Tomlin didn't have much choice. He had Williamson, Allen and UG3 (barely) and no one else at ILB
    Yeah and I don’t think the play was overly terrible…if I remember correctly?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Justin Houston signed with the Ravens.

…for ONLY $4 million/season.

I love giving them just a sliver of hope before we destroy them on the field.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Not sure how this will play out, but the price was right. And Houston was motivated to come to Baltimore.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Not sure how this will play out, but the price was right. And Houston was motivated to come to Baltimore.
    signing Houston addresses the Ravens' biggest weakness after losing Judon and Ngakoue.

great get at a great price for you!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He must have dropped his price or he did want to come to Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Supposedly, he wants a ring.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Supposedly, he wants a ring.

Love that line.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He wants to start. Highsmith is the guy over guys in their early-mid 30s.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    signing Houston addresses the Ravens' biggest weakness after losing Judon and Ngakoue.

great get at a great price for you!
    I’m interested to see how well Judon and Ngakoue do this year. Especially Ngakoue. He did not turn out to be all that much playing in Baltimore, but that is likely due to several factors. I have no such concerns about Judon. Just interested to see if his play remains static, or if he progresses or regresses a bit.

Houston helps a lot. He may not be in his prime, but he has value as a both an edge rusher and a mentor to Odafe Oweh.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Houston says Steelers offered him more money but Baltimore was a better fit. Translation: Steelers wanted me as a backup and Ravens wanted me as a starter. He’s a has-been.