Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will The Steelers Make Any More Oline Additions?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Will The Steelers Make Any More Oline Additions?

What do you think? I believe this is what remains.

https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-nfl-free-agent-list/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Will The Steelers Make Any More Oline Additions?

Would you bring back Hawkins?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Would you bring back Hawkins?
    He's been with the Steelers twice, so I don't think so. There isn't much out there. I know money was an issue but wonder if they could have worked something out and moved AV to RT like the ravens did?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The thing that strikes me is that Russel Okung is only 32 years old. It feels like he's been in the NFL since 1995!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The thing that strikes me is that Russel Okung is only 32 years old. It feels like he's been in the NFL since 1995!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just doing a quick depth search and matching names to probable positions if the player sticks:

At Center: BJ Finney, Kendrick Green, JC Hassenauer

At Guard: David DeCastro, Kevin Dotson, Rashaad Coward, John Leglue

At Tackle: Chukwuma Okorafor, Zach Banner, Dan Moore Jr, Aviante Collins, Joe Haeg, Anthony Coyle, Brandon Walton, Jarron Jones

Obviously some of these guys listed can play multiple positions. I just placed them at what I thought was their likely role in this scheme.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just doing a quick depth search and matching names to probable positions if the player sticks:

At Center: BJ Finney, Kendrick Green, JC Hassenauer

At Guard: David DeCastro, Kevin Dotson, Rashaad Coward, John Leglue

At Tackle: Chukwuma Okorafor, Zach Banner, Dan Moore Jr, Aviante Collins, Joe Haeg, Anthony Coyle, Brandon Walton, Jarron Jones

Obviously some of these guys listed can play multiple positions. I just placed them at what I thought was their likely role in this scheme.
    If the Tackles can do their job, the line plays a tiny bit above average, one of those back up names becomes solid, the team will be okay at line...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If the Tackles can do their job, the line plays a tiny bit above average, one of those back up names becomes solid, the team will be okay at line...for now.
    They need to be synced to each other and that is what takes time.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

CBSsports is picking the Steelers to come in 3rd in the division with Tomlin having his first losing season. If that's true imagine 2022 with a rookie or new QB.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    CBSsports is picking the Steelers to come in 3rd in the division with Tomlin having his first losing season. If that's true imagine 2022 with a rookie or new QB.
    CBS is a joke, even if it happens they suck.

Mr. LaCanfora said this 4 weeks ago

https://steelersnow.com/cbs-sports-j...n-first-round/

And how about this?

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/wh...they-are-wrong

I mean you do a google search and you can spend half a day reading his BS.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    They need to be synced to each other and that is what takes time.
    Its not that bad and not something as definitive as being "synced". DeCastro and Banner got repetitions in practice and preseason all last year next to each other. Dotson and I assume Okorafor will get a ton of reps on the other side to get used to handling any stunts and twists in the pass protection game, as well as any double teams, assists, combination blocking in the run game.

Personally, I really hate the phrase "they need time to gel", or " its OK, they haven't jelled yet". Football isn't some fu@king Dr. Scholls commercial. Guys have assignments, jobs to do and they get paid well to do them. Obviously the more times we do a job or task, the more proficient we get with it and the more we work with somebody, the more we learn how best to work with them. But Dotson is a perfect example of a guy that came in as a rookie to handle some playing time due to injury and he performed like a 3rd year veteran IMO.

The O line will hit the field on opening day and the expectation is to play well and know their assignments. If they mix up an assignment on a play or series, the expectation is they fix it on the fly, or when they get back to the sidelines, that Klemm gets is corrected with them. Its going to be a good season up front, I am really enthused about how the O line will perform this year.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Its not that bad and not something as definitive as being "synced". DeCastro and Banner got repetitions in practice and preseason all last year next to each other. Dotson and I assume Okorafor will get a ton of reps on the other side to get used to handling any stunts and twists in the pass protection game, as well as any double teams, assists, combination blocking in the run game.

Personally, I really hate the phrase "they need time to gel", or " its OK, they haven't jelled yet". Football isn't some fu@king Dr. Scholls commercial. Guys have assignments, jobs to do and they get paid well to do them. Obviously the more times we do a job or task, the more proficient we get with it and the more we work with somebody, the more we learn how best to work with them. But Dotson is a perfect example of a guy that came in as a rookie to handle some playing time due to injury and he performed like a 3rd year veteran IMO.

The O line will hit the field on opening day and the expectation is to play well and know their assignments. If they mix up an assignment on a play or series, the expectation is they fix it on the fly, or when they get back to the sidelines, that Klemm gets is corrected with them. Its going to be a good season up front, I am really enthused about how the O line will perform this year.
    Agreed, I'm talking about players being able to complement one another on the field and in the game and that takes time imo. I remember this well in playing basketball in school with one of my good friends. We were able to read each other without a word or look, he could do things that I couldn't and vice versa, but that came by playing together for years. We just knew where each other would be on the court even if the play went south or we didn't have visual contact. I think Ryan Clark and Troy were a good example of that in my mind. I'm excited for the team overall, it's good to get some younger guys in the mix.
    Last edited by Shoes; 05-18-2021 at 03:20 AM.

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

IMO the OL will be better with an addition by substraction concept...Some don't realize how truly awful Pouncey was...One publication I read had him ranked LAST, out of all the starting Centers! And I believe 30th, the year before that!

Couple that with AV being also one of the WORST ranked players at his position also...I can't help to think this OL can get nothing BUT better!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Agreed, I'm talking about players being able to complement one another on the field and in the game and that takes time imo. I remember this well in playing basketball in school with one of my good friends. We were able to read each other without a word or look, he could do things that I couldn't and vice versa, but that came by playing together for years. We just knew where each other would be on the court even if the play went south or we didn't have visual contact. I think Ryan Clark and Troy were a good example of that in my mind. I'm excited for the team overall, it's good to get some younger guys in the mix.
    I know what you are saying. Being able to read a teammate in basketball that is going to backdoor cut, or take himself on a break or behind the back pass to you on the wing is different than football though. Basketball like hockey or soccer is much more kinetic. In football you finish the play and then huddle and reconvene at the LOS, where you can make calls, used codewords for things like a single block(Solo) or Double (Deuce), things like slide protections (LUCKY or RINGO for Left or Right), etc.

Sure, as an O lineman you get used to a guy playing next to you, on how long he engages the lineman in front of him on a twist, or if his double team block on a combination is a real displacement on the D lineman, or just a chip and run to 2nd level. I'm just saying that IMO, the whole notion of an O line "gelling" is overblown by reporters, bloggers, pundits and fans that have never been around an O line group on the field and in a locker room.

IMO, the biggest addition to the OLine group is Coach Klemm, the 2nd may be Matt Canada and after that its Dotson, Okorafor, Green, Banner, Collins, Moore Jr. We havent seen Banner at RT or Chuks at LT for extended period of time. Green has a chance to supplant Finney IMO and Collins is vet insurance/depth that can play G or T.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    IMO the OL will be better with an addition by substraction concept...Some don't realize how truly awful Pouncey was...One publication I read had him ranked LAST, out of all the starting Centers! And I believe 30th, the year before that!

Couple that with AV being also one of the WORST ranked players at his position also...I can't help to think this OL can get nothing BUT better!
    I never was a fan of Pouncey. Yeah I get that the guy was probably one of the more 'athletic' centers to play the game, but I always remember him being unable to move the guy in front of him if we needed to run on a 3rd and short. He didn't have any nasty in him. Granted his pass blocking and ability to climb the 2nd level made him a better than average center overall, but he certainly wasn't a Dirt Dawson

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Those are separate assertions by CBS.

The Steelers coming in third is possible: the Ravens and Browns both made it to the divisional round last year. It is a tough division.

The Steelers having a losing record is more unlikely. Tomlin has never had a losing record and is above .500 with Ben out; the Steelers have a top 5 defense barring injury; Harris will be a massive upgrade over RB production last year; Ben's decline has been exagerrated. Steelers should be around 11 wins.

Morgan Moses?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Morgan Moses?
    he reportedly is looking for $5 million/year.

not gonna happen with us.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    he reportedly is looking for $5 million/year.

not gonna happen with us.

Cheap Rooney's!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Where would Moses play? He is a RT. The team seems to be super high on Banner and I don't see them giving up on him. Nor do I think that they are really keen on moving Banner to LT.

So can Moses play LT? The WFT doesn't seem to think he can play RT let alone LT In the NFL. Assume the Steelers feel different. Do you cut Chuks? Why? Is Moses a significant upgrade?

Also...regardless of money...Moses isn't coming here to play the third OT. There are enough teams in the NFL he can basically walk into a starting OT spot for that he has no need to do that. Also, the Steelers just drafted a fancy new OT. Hopefully he wins and then flourishes in the swing tackle role so that he can be ready to challenge for a starting spot in year two of that sweet sweet cheapo rookie deal.

Long story short...what would Moses do on the Steelers roster?

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Moses play declined some last year and he is almost 30. There is a reason WFT released him, and I see no reason for the Stleers to try and sign him unless he comes for cheap, which to me would be in the range of 1 to 2 million for next year. I am sure some team will pay him more though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Where would Moses play? He is a RT. The team seems to be super high on Banner and I don't see them giving up on him. Nor do I think that they are really keen on moving Banner to LT.

So can Moses play LT? The WFT doesn't seem to think he can play RT let alone LT In the NFL. Assume the Steelers feel different. Do you cut Chuks? Why? Is Moses a significant upgrade?

Also...regardless of money...Moses isn't coming here to play the third OT. There are enough teams in the NFL he can basically walk into a starting OT spot for that he has no need to do that. Also, the Steelers just drafted a fancy new OT. Hopefully he wins and then flourishes in the swing tackle role so that he can be ready to challenge for a starting spot in year two of that sweet sweet cheapo rookie deal.

Not sure, maybe part the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers and lead the Steelers into the SB promise-land?

all kidding aside moats knows football and the Steelers better than me. Seems to make some sense out of it here.

Last edited by Shoes; 05-21-2021 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added video

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Simple answer: Moses is experienced and a proven starter. Is he best in the league? No. Is he better than what they have? Maybe, maybe not. Is he more experienced in play? Yes. 100%. Does it hurt to bring in competition? Never.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Simple answer: Moses is experienced and a proven starter. Is he best in the league? No. Is he better than what they have? Maybe, maybe not. Is he more experienced in play? Yes. 100%. Does it hurt to bring in competition? Never.
    Competition for who?

Banner? Why?

If for LT, what evidence is there that Moses would be better than Chuks? He’s never played LT in the NFL.

IF the Steelers were not interested in bringing back AV for roughly $7 million per year, why give Moses roughly the same money to “compete”?

If we were talking about signing a guy for like $2 million a year to true and push Haeg off the roster…then giddy-up. But for the reasons I stated previously, Moses isn’t gonna do that.

Will The Steelers Make Any More Oline Additions?

Competition for who?

Banner? Why?

If for LT, what evidence is there that Moses would be better than Chuks? He’s never played LT in the NFL.

IF the Steelers were not interested in bringing back AV for roughly $7 million per year, why give Moses roughly the same money to “compete”?

If we were talking about signing a guy for like $2 million a year to true and push Haeg off the roster…then giddy-up. But for the reasons I stated previously, Moses isn’t gonna do that.
    For all three. Whose to say Chuks is any better than Moses or vice versa? Does someone have a ton of tape of Chuks playing left tackle? What’s wrong with competition? Your just going to hand the Premiere line spot to someone without competition?

As for the money, Moses wouldn’t get the same money as AV and even so, let’s say the money is the same, would you want AV back after seeing how bad he’s digressed? I’d take a shot on a 30 year old who played decent on a terrible team before I take a chance on a known disaster. Moses’ main problem was penalties. That’s something that can be worked on.

I mean whose to say Banner isn’t the better one at LT and Moses the better one at RT.

I don’t get the pushback on bringing veteran talent in to compete for a critical position on the team? Why not? You’re okay going into the season with Moore as your primary back up?

I mean the bottom line is competition and depth on an inexperienced and thin roster. I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to try to improve that through competition. No brainer to me.

For all three. Whose to say Chuks is any better than Moses or vice versa? Does someone have a ton of tape of Chuks playing left tackle? What’s wrong with competition? Your just going to hand the Premiere line spot to someone without competition?

As for the money, Moses wouldn’t get the same money as AV and even so, let’s say the money is the same, would you want AV back after seeing how bad he’s digressed? I’d take a shot on a 30 year old who played decent on a terrible team before I take a chance on a known disaster. Moses’ main problem was penalties. That’s something that can be worked on.

I mean whose to say Banner isn’t the better one at LT and Moses the better one at RT.

I don’t get the pushback on bringing veteran talent in to compete for a critical position on the team? Why not? You’re okay going into the season with Moore as your primary back up?

I mean the bottom line is competition and depth on an inexperienced and thin roster. I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t want to try to improve that through competition. No brainer to me.
    Because Moses isn’t really that good. I mean WFT decided to remake their entire OT group, that’s how enamored they were with his play.

And he’s gonna cost $5-8 million against the cap. He also potentially blocks the evaluation and development of Chuks, Banner, and draft pick dude.

If they wanted veteran competition, they should’ve just kept AV who is an actual LT.

I would much rather they scour the wire for young, cheap, and potential. Find the next AV or Banner or Beachum. Not really interested in decent at best OTs with no growth potential that cost cap space the team doesn’t have.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

my guess is that the "interest" we've shown is something like "do you want to play for the vet minimum...hello...hello...are you still there?"

or "if you end up signing for around the vet minimum let us know...we'll be in on that conversation".

Because Moses isn’t really that good. I mean WFT decided to remake their entire OT group, that’s how enamored they were with his play.

And he’s gonna cost $5-8 million against the cap. He also potentially blocks the evaluation and development of Chuks, Banner, and draft pick dude.

If they wanted veteran competition, they should’ve just kept AV who is an actual LT.

I would much rather they scour the wire for young, cheap, and potential. Find the next AV or Banner or Beachum. Not really interested in decent at best OTs with no growth potential that cost cap space the team doesn’t have.
    I believe Moses is better than what we have. The WFT has Dan Snyder as the owner and meddler in the teams dealings, which hasn't been impressive in the decision department over the years and have Ryan Fitz as starting QB.. As for AV, I had hopes that they would have kept him and moved him to the RT. But I'm sure they are trying to get as many quality players as they can for the money. It doesn't matter who they bring in people are going to piss and moan. I mean when Tomlin picked up AV he was labeled "camp fodder". I see no reason why you can't bring Moses in and kick the tires, the guy has been a consistent vet which can't hurt if the money is right, if the Steelers are in "win now" mode anything is possible imo.
    Last edited by Shoes; 05-22-2021 at 05:58 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Cost > potential + quality of play

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

I understand what is meant by "win now mode" in context. But literally I have never known the Steelers to not be in win now mode. IF the Steelers' FO believes a guy comes in and makes the room better, I think yes, he's a possibility and let's see if things can get done. As for Moses specifically, I haven't watched WFT play enough to have noticed. He's not a name that was ever on 'my' radar, then again neither was Steven Nelson(who is still out there in FA land). The Steelers made OL grabs when the XFL folded and those players are still hanging around so the FO may be fine with the room as is. There will be prospects and veterans that will lose their jobs only because of roster cutdown day(Sept4) and could get some mid to upper level talent at a bargain price then.