Thread: Steelers rookie minicamp, Day 1

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers rookie minicamp, Day 1

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Steelers rookie minicamp, Day 1

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Thanks for posting the video. A few observations.

- Najee is a smooth athlete in great condition and will be a star in the league. I say that with reference to Taylor from the Colts being on the all rookie team last year and Najee Harris is better in every way, except long speed.

- KG getting reps, with Klemm holding the shield. Getting some close coaching, as he should. Watch him grip the bag as he hits it!! Small details, but you want O linemen to have strong hands, strong grip strength and he is practicing the little details, with Coach Klemm right there.

-Buddy Johnson in those footwork drills may look mundane, but they are teaching him read steps and change of direction with balance. Maybe to remain under control with the read step and not overpursue. There is a progression of that type of drill where you roll tennis balls or lacrosse balls to them as they move and have to pick up. Doesnt look cool, but solid fundamental work putting in.

-Quincy Roche really bends well around that scout dummy! I expect the quick hips, feet and hands from him, but to watch him get low and bend around that dummy at the end of the swat and ladder drill is cool to me. I cant think of a Steeler OLB that ever seemed to move like that much of an athlete. He is going to need to get stronger in the run game, but off the edge he may be really entertaining to watch rush the passer.

- Loudermilk actually flips his hips well in that drill for a big man. I have the hope/belief that he is going to be a high motor guy like Chris Hoke, but in the frame of Brett Keisel. Not the athlete Keisel was, but short area quickness, toughness, motor.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

- Najee is a smooth athlete in great condition and will be a star in the league. I say that with reference to Taylor from the Colts being on the all rookie team last year and Najee Harris is better in every way, except long speed.

- KG getting reps, with Klemm holding the shield. Getting some close coaching, as he should. Watch him grip the bag as he hits it!! Small details, but you want O linemen to have strong hands, strong grip strength and he is practicing the little details, with Coach Klemm right there.

-Buddy Johnson in those footwork drills may look mundane, but they are teaching him read steps and change of direction with balance. Maybe to remain under control with the read step and not overpursue. There is a progression of that type of drill where you roll tennis balls or lacrosse balls to them as they move and have to pick up. Doesnt look cool, but solid fundamental work putting in.

-Quincy Roche really bends well around that scout dummy! I expect the quick hips, feet and hands from him, but to watch him get low and bend around that dummy at the end of the swat and ladder drill is cool to me. I cant think of a Steeler OLB that ever seemed to move like that much of an athlete. He is going to need to get stronger in the run game, but off the edge he may be really entertaining to watch rush the passer.

- Loudermilk actually flips his hips well in that drill for a big man. I have the hope/belief that he is going to be a high motor guy like Chris Hoke, but in the frame of Brett Keisel. Not the athlete Keisel was, but short area quickness, toughness, motor.
    good observations!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So should I put the "Bust" meme on hold then?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Yes, I would.

Better yet...who is going to be the "Training Camp Hero"? You know, the guy that fans get all hyped up and talk up big, then doesnt make the 53. The likes of Kevin "2G" Fogg, Dante Brown, Tuzar Skipper.

My early leaders are Rico Bussey WR, just because of the name. Mark Brown, because the injury story is gonna be written and tug at the heartstrings of fans. Lamont Wade- he's too small at 5'9" and from Penn St, so some homers gonna talk up the little guy that could story.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

How can you not like this guy?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Yes, I would.

Better yet...who is going to be the "Training Camp Hero"? You know, the guy that fans get all hyped up and talk up big, then doesnt make the 53. The likes of Kevin "2G" Fogg, Dante Brown, Tuzar Skipper.

My early leaders are Rico Bussey WR, just because of the name. Mark Brown, because the injury story is gonna be written and tug at the heartstrings of fans. Lamont Wade- he's too small at 5'9" and from Penn St, so some homers gonna talk up the little guy that could story.
    I'm keeping an eye on Roche and the 2 UDFA DBs we picked up.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yes, I would.

Is there an undersized gritty and scrappy white guy with only borderline NFL tools? That’s always a popular pick!

My personal favorite is always the guy who has at least one trait that tests off the charts but is too dumb to walk and chew gum at the same time. Michael “Seminole Package” Thomas is a recent example.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Is there an undersized gritty and scrappy white guy with only borderline NFL tools? That’s always a popular pick!

My personal favorite is always the guy who has at least one trait that tests off the charts but is too dumb to walk and chew gum at the same time. Michael “Seminole Package” Thomas is a recent example.
    Yeah, great pull with the Michael Thomas reference. Remember how pissed off fans were when he was let go, because he had a bunch of off the chart athletic measurables and got close to running somebody down in the preseason. A great example of a "Training Camp Hero".

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah, great pull with the Michael Thomas reference. Remember how pissed off fans were when he was let go, because he had a bunch of off the chart athletic measurables and got close to running somebody down in the preseason. A great example of a "Training Camp Hero".
    I was on the Thomas bandwagon. I thought they had something there.

Another Steelers message board favorite was Josh Mauro. People were pissed when he got cut.

Then they’re was the guy named after a hotel or restaurant that got a couple of sacks and got cut. People freaked out.

It is always fun.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm keeping an eye on Roche and the 2 UDFA DBs we picked up.
    I also like the DB room right now. The younger guys all bring a bit of hopeful excitement IMO. Acy, Brown, Gilbert, Denmark, Pierre, Brooks Jr, Norwood, Stiner, and Wade. The veterans are most likely all safe in their roles but the rest should have a very competitive and fun TC. But I would be careful picking a favorite or at least don't tell who it is. Because if they don't make the cut it apparently makes you look foolish. And you know how we fans hate to look foolish.

I'm going to pencil in Tyler Simmons as my favorite to win a place on the 53 as the 6th WR, punt returner, and ST gunner.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 05-15-2021 at 09:42 PM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I also like the DB room right now. The younger guys all bring a bit of hopeful excitement IMO. Acy, Brown, Gilbert, Denmark, Pierre, Brooks Jr, Norwood, Stiner, and Wade. The veterans are most likely all safe in their roles but the rest should have a very competitive and fun TC. But I would be careful picking a favorite or at least don't tell who it is. Because if they don't make the cut it apparently makes you look foolish. And you know how we fans hate to look foolish.

I'm going to pencil in Tyler Simmons as my favorite to win a place on the 53 as the 6th WR, punt returner, and ST gunner.
    If just 1.5 of those guys in the DB room can be productive, the Steelers could be in nice shape on the backend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler