Thread: What We Learned From Day 1 of Rookie Steelers Mini Camp

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

What We Learned From Day 1 of Rookie Steelers Mini Camp

What We Learned From Day 1 of Rookie Steelers Mini Camp

Noah Strackbein

Goodbye, "Baby Gronk." Hello, new Cam Sutton. The Pittsburgh Steelers rookies hit the field for the first time at rookie mini camp.

PITTSBURGH -- Day 1 of rookie mini camp is in the books, and the Pittsburgh Steelers' newest members now have their first NFL practice behind them.

The Steelers had 12 first-year players, 17 members of their rookie class and five tryouts on sight Friday morning for their first walkthrough. All eyes were on first-round pick Najee Harris, but there was plenty to take away from opening day.

Here's what we learned from Day 1.

Steelers Gave Kendrick Green No. 53

Maurkice Pouncey, who spent the last 11 years making 53 the most recognizable number on the offensive line, isn't retired six months, but his number is in new hands. Kendrick Green, who wore the number throughout college, said all he did was request the number and the Steelers said yes.

"They didn't hand it to me," Green said. "I wore '53' since high school … so I kind of requested it.

"Knowing that (Pouncey) had retired, I thought maybe (he'd get denied) … I was fully prepared to keep it off, but they let me have it."

Green and Pouncey spoke after the draft, but the jersey number never came up. "I've got big shoes to fill, so I am going to work toward that."

The rookie knows who's he's replacing, and understands the importance of the number. Still, it's a bit of a shock the Steelers didn't put up a fight before handing it off to the first person to ask.

Tre Norwood Has Real Shot to be Next Cam Sutton

Did you know seventh-round pick Tre Norwood and Cam Sutton have worked out in the same facility in Tampa for a few years now? Me neither, until today.

Norwood and Sutton are friends. The veteran corner reached out to Norwood after the draft to congratulate him, and hopefully, start the flow of communication from mentor and mentee.

"He extended his arms as a big brother and a guy that's been here. Definitely can't wait to sit down and pick his brain to get to know more about this defense so I can know the ins and outs and learn and get better."

Norwood is essentially replacing Sutton - or at least hoping to. Mike Tomlin announced the pick as "Swiss Army Knife defensive back" and immediately opened the door for the seventh-rounder to play all over the defense.

"As of right now, it's learning a little bit of everything," Norwood said. "Moving forward, if that's what my role will be, I'll be glad to take on that role."
    You have to be a special type of athlete to understand safety, corner and pretty much everywhere else. Norwood did it all in college and is totally fine with doing it all again.

"My first two years was corner. This last season, I had a great amount at nickel and safety. I would go back and forth between the both of them. So for me, the comfort level at any one of them, I feel like I've got a lot of reps at each of those positions."

Read the rest here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...70b?li=BBnbfcL

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: What We Learned From Day 1 of Rookie Steelers Mini Camp

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It was clear that Najee was the #1 RB there.

He was also the #2 and #3.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It was clear that Najee was the #1 RB there.

He was also the #2 and #3.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Najee = ROY. 2,000 scrimmage yards.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Najee = ROY. 2,000 scrimmage yards.
    if our OL can block, that certainly would be possible.