Thread: Matt Canada’s Offense: “Complex But Simple In The Same Way”

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Matt Canada’s Offense: “Complex But Simple In The Same Way”

Those in attendance today got a first on-the-field look at what new offensive coordinator Matt Canada has planned for his platoon.

"I love my fit, it's perfect," Freiermuth said. "I'm very happy that I'm here in Pittsburgh.

"The offense is awesome. I think it's very complex and I think it's going to utilize the talent we have on this roster. From the first 'walk through' today, felt great, felt like I understand most of what's going on

"It's complex but it's simple in the same way. I think Coach Canada puts guys on the field where they can create mismatches and I think he does a good job just kind of understanding and kind of figuring out what the defense's weaknesses are. I can kind of see that with the looks he gave out there for the 'look' team today and what he's put together."

Freiermuth said there's "a decent amount" of pre-snap motion.

He's also anticipating a healthy dose of two-tight ends sets with veteran tight end Eric Ebron.

"For sure," Freiermuth said. "Ebron, he's an awesome guy. He's a hell of a football player. I'm excited to learn for him and kind of see what is tasked for us in '12 personnel,' what we do, what we're asked to do. I'm excited to see that stuff."

https://www.steelers.com/news/taking-the-field

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Matt Canada’s Offense: “Complex But Simple In The Same Way”

Matt Canada's comments about Ben Roethlisberger are being misinterpreted

By Alex Reimer

Matt Canada was hired to diversify and innovate the Steelers’ staid shotgun-centric offense. But he can’t do that without a strong working relationship with Ben Roethlisberger.

With that in mind, Canada’s comments Tuesday about being deferential to the future Hall of Fame quarterback are being taken out of context.

In a session with reporters, including the Fan's Josh Rowntree, Canada, who’s spent 15 years as an offensive coordinator in college football, said Roethlisberger would run the offense. “We’re gonna do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it,” he said. “Our job is getting every player in position to make plays. There are changes with terminology. That’s an adjustment for Ben. He’s been great in learning it. Doing really well with it. He has adapted easily as we all knew we would.”

The first sentence of Canada’s remarks — “we’re gonna do what Ben wants to do” — are understandably getting a lot of play. Indeed, it would be a mistake for the Steelers to solely entrust Roethlisberger with the offense, considering he’s 39 years old and coming off a dismal finish. He threw 10 interceptions in his last seven games, including four against the Browns in the Wild Card Round.

But Canada didn’t indicate he’s going to hand over his playbook to Big Ben. Two sentences later, Canada acknowledged Roethlisberger will have to adjust to the “changes in terminology.”

to read rest of article:

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/spo...medium=twitter

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s not great news…

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Cue the Fire Canada posts???

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s not great news…
    Which part(s) exactly? None of that 2nd article was anything new or different from what I have seen and read before. The OP article wasn't the same article when I clicked on it. It was something about Najee Harris instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Which part(s) exactly? None of that 2nd article was anything new or different from what I have seen and read before. The OP article wasn't the same article when I clicked on it. It was something about Najee Harris instead.
    “We’re gonna do what Ben wants to do”?

I’m hoping that comment is more specific to something (routes, cadence, etc.) opposed to the actual plays. I mean we will know as soon as you see the offense perform…

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    “We’re gonna do what Ben wants to do”?

I’m hoping that comment is more specific to something (routes, cadence, etc.) opposed to the actual plays. I mean we will know as soon as you see the offense perform…
    I think it depends on how much patience we give the 'New Canada Offense'. I would expect early struggles, maybe some execution and route miscues, some wrinkles that need ironing so to speak. But if there is prolonged issues with multiple players, how long before we start saying, 'just let Ben go score the ball!'? I'm thinking 3-5 games tops.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Cue the Fire Canada posts???
    Blame Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think it depends on how much patience we give the 'New Canada Offense'. I would expect early struggles, maybe some execution and route miscues, some wrinkles that need ironing so to speak. But if there is prolonged issues with multiple players, how long before we start saying, 'just let Ben go score the ball!'? I'm thinking 3-5 games tops.
    I just don’t want to see Ben audible to a shotgun wrap around draw or get into the quick passing groove for series at a time.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Seems to me about the only times the offense has consistently done anything for a number of years now is when Ben was calling the plays...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Seems to me about the only times the offense has consistently done anything for a number of years now is when Ben was calling the plays...
    Those were the plays Ben was making up on the fly!! Lol. As long as that old playbook is out the window is all that really matters!!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers
    2020 record: 12-4

Situation: It's Ben Roethlisberger and everyone else, which normally wouldn't be a concern -- except that Roethlisberger is 39 years old and coming off a season in which his yards per attempt were down almost a full yard from his previous career low for a full campaign, and 10 of his 14 interceptions (playoffs included) came over his final seven games, four of them losses.

Offensive coordinator Matt Canada: "I think in football, it is 11 men doing their job, but the quarterback is their focal point. We are going to do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it. Our job is putting every player in a position to make plays."

Translation: "We know Ben is not the player he once was, and he's extremely sensitive to criticism that his game and his arm strength have slipped since the 2019 elbow surgery, so we have to keep him engaged by consistently stressing that he's the fuel that makes the offense go, even though rookie running back Najee Harris will be the focal point." There is a reason Canada also told the media he had a directive from ownership, the front office and coach Mike Tomlin to run the football, and that's because Roethlisberger can no longer carry an offense by himself. He has enjoyed an exceptional career that figures to land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if the veteran QB isn't real with himself that the offense no longer runs through him, it will be a long year for Canada and the Steelers.

https://www.nfl.com/news/quarterback...ek-carr-premat

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    2020 record: 12-4

Situation: It's Ben Roethlisberger and everyone else, which normally wouldn't be a concern -- except that Roethlisberger is 39 years old and coming off a season in which his yards per attempt were down almost a full yard from his previous career low for a full campaign, and 10 of his 14 interceptions (playoffs included) came over his final seven games, four of them losses.

Offensive coordinator Matt Canada: "I think in football, it is 11 men doing their job, but the quarterback is their focal point. We are going to do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it. Our job is putting every player in a position to make plays."

Translation: "We know Ben is not the player he once was, and he's extremely sensitive to criticism that his game and his arm strength have slipped since the 2019 elbow surgery, so we have to keep him engaged by consistently stressing that he's the fuel that makes the offense go, even though rookie running back Najee Harris will be the focal point." There is a reason Canada also told the media he had a directive from ownership, the front office and coach Mike Tomlin to run the football, and that's because Roethlisberger can no longer carry an offense by himself. He has enjoyed an exceptional career that figures to land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if the veteran QB isn't real with himself that the offense no longer runs through him, it will be a long year for Canada and the Steelers.

https://www.nfl.com/news/quarterback...ek-carr-premat

keep the negative Ben articles coming ..I hope Ben takes the time to read every single one of them ....

then uses all that negativity to go on a rampage across the league breaking damn near every personal and league single season passing record worth breaking leading the team to another Lombardi ....

I believe he will be better this year than last and by a considerable amount and you won't hear this from the media but even tho his numbers were down in 2020 they was still the best numbers in the division ( the ones that matter ) they they wont tell you that because it doesnt get clicks only negative shit does...

Herbert and ben had nearly identical numbers last year . Herbert is the second coming of greatness and Ben is washed up and the worst QB in the Division if you dont believe me ask the media
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The late collapse of 2020 and the admittedly pathetic way the Steelers went out really soured people on the team.

Winning silences the critics. Also the team needs to stop falling apart in December.

Canada's offense can't be worse than Fichtner's:

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Canada's offense can't be worse than Fichtner's:

that's bad to show your hand already from how the offense is lined up. A pop warner coach could figure that out

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    that's bad to show your hand already from how the offense is lined up. A pop warner coach could figure that out
    I mean we were figuring out and we all are a bunch of dopes…lol.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Montez Sweat stated all of this after WFT’s game against the Steelers.