Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roland Rivers lll Accepts Steelers Rookie Camp Invite

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Roland Rivers lll Accepts Steelers Rookie Camp Invite

Roland Rivers lll Accepts Steelers Rookie Camp Invite

Josh Davis

The Slippery Rock University product lands himself a Rookie Camp invite.

Not many people have ever heard of Slippery Rock University. That said, SRU has had a few players from their football program make it to the professional ranks, including the NFL, CFL and Arena League. Most recently, quarterback Roland Rivers III joined that list of players.

Rivers won nearly every award and accolade possible at the D-II ranks, including First-Team All-American and the Harlon Hill Trophy, which is D-II’s award for the best player in the country, much like the Heisman Trophy.

He set numerous school single-season records, such as most passing yards in a season, most completions and most touchdowns. Not to mention career records as well.

His final season was in 2019 and just like many whose college careers ended at that time, Rivers had to endure canceled pro days and camps, limiting his ability to showcase his talent in front of pro scouts.

That’s where CAMP presented by HUB Football came in. The March CAMP finally gave Rivers an opportunity to get out there in front of NFL scouts and coaches, where he had a chance to show pro decision-makers what he was capable of.

Prior to his participation at CAMP, Rivers appeared on ‘The State of Football’ show on Sports Illustrated and had this to say about the opportunity:
    “This past year has given me time to improve on some things I knew I needed to improve on and I’m excited to be evaluated.”

At CAMP, one of the things that jumped out right away was his size. At 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, Rivers stands tall and poised in the pocket. A dual-threat prospect with a big arm, he doesn’t run just to run. Rivers keeps his eyes down the field when the pocket collapses, moving to extend plays, but he showed that he can take off if the opportunity presents itself.

Read the rest here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...9IN?li=BBnbfcL

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Roland Rivers lll Accepts Steelers Rookie Camp Invite

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

SUPERBOWL!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like it!

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers have given Slippery Rock players a chance in the past. They signed a running back from Slippery Rock named Chuck Sanders in the mid eighties. Chuck was a senior at Slippery Rock when I was a freshman. Apparently his junior year he was drawing attention from pro scouts. People were somewhat, mostly jestingly, mentioning him as a candidate for the Heisman. I'm sure in part because he was from the school with the funny name. Then, his senior year, he had knee injury that limited his production. I only met him once. He was pretty funny dude. I was an athletic training major for about 20 minutes. When my rotation group reported to the football team practice, Chuck walked up to all of the new students and introduced himself as; "Hi I'm Chuck Sanders the has-been." I think the Steelers just wanted to give a local kid a chance. They made him special teams captain for a week. I don't think he lasted a year. If i remember correctly, it was "The Chief"who always wanted to give one local player a chance each year.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This was reported in the UDFA thread. I just wanted to post a new story on him with more background stuff.

I should have given this thread a different title.

Anywho..... I think it's an interesting signing. I hope we get to see him a bit during camp and preseason to see what he can do.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Roland on the River!

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

They already have two former first-round QBs on the roster (including Ben) and a 3rd rounder whom they felt had a first-round grade (Bambi). With Dobbs being back for another year, there's already 4 guys for 3 spots.

Unless this guy channels the ghost of Johnny Unitas and blows the world up, I don't see him as being anything more than a camp body.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think they had to sign someone or they would have no QBs available for rookie minicamp. Or whatever they call that portion of the off-season program now. Rudolph, Dobbs, Haskins, and Ben are not eligible to participate in that portion of the off-season activities.

So they got this dude and maybe even another eligible player or camp is going be a bit dicey to run actual drills and activities in without coaches taking snaps and throwing passes.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    They already have two former first-round QBs on the roster (including Ben) and a 3rd rounder whom they felt had a first-round grade (Bambi). With Dobbs being back for another year, there's already 4 guys for 3 spots.

Unless this guy channels the ghost of Johnny Unitas and blows the world up, I don't see him as being anything more than a camp body.

if he shows anything I expect a phantom injury and a trip to the IR for the 2021 season
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

If I had to do it all over again, I would apply to “Slippery Rock University” just for the name. I love it. Being from the South, that’s just loads of fun. “I’m a junior at Slippery Rock”.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    If I had to do it all over again, I would apply to “Slippery Rock University” just for the name. I love it. Being from the South, that’s just loads of fun. “I’m a junior at Slippery Rock”.
    When I went there Playboy listed us as one of the top ten party schools in the country, even though the town was technically dry.. I had met one of the girls that posed through a mutual friend. So I checked out her layout. You know, just to read the accompanying article which listed her favorite car brand. Anyways, the article said "people around here like to get naked and party." All I could think was :" damn I'm getting invited to the wrong parties."

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post

Well... they cut Unitas too...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Well... they cut Unitas too...

Yep. Unitas blew the world up with a different team after being cut by the Steelers.

They were a shrewd franchise back then!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Yep. Unitas blew the world up with a different team after being cut by the Steelers.

They were a shrewd franchise back then!
    Yes nobody could get rid of hall of fame quarterbacks like the Steelers during that era.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

He look better throwing to our new TE then any QB on our rooster would have. Of course this is just one on one with no D.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    He look better throwing to our new TE then any QB on our rooster would have. Of course this is just one on one with no D.
    Bro...wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

...and so it begins. The fascination with the #5 QB on the roster.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Kuhn will welcome him w/open arms.

Can you say “Kurt Warner”??

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Hopeful optimism is nothing to be ashamed of. I have hopeful optimism that Ben can return to mid 20teens form. I have hopeful optimism that one of Rudolph, Haskins, Dobbs, or Rivers will be the right guy to fill Ben's shoes once he retires. And I have hopeful optimism the Steelers will continue their winning ways and will add more Lombardis to their trophy case. If you don't have an optimistic outlook when it comes to a freaking game and a past-time, how do you handle regular life? Talk this guy up! Talk up Haskins and Rudolph and Dobbs if you want. This is the FUN part, most of the rest of it is working for somebody else. Roland Rivers III? Are you kidding me, nobody has brought up III Rivers yet?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Can you say “Kurt Warner”??
    Sure, but I guess that means the Rivers needs to go stock shelves at a Hy-vee, play in NFL Europe and some arena league games before I invest any more time discussing the #5 QB .

Sure, but I guess that means the Rivers needs to go stock shelves at a Hy-vee, play in NFL Europe and some arena league games before I invest any more time discussing the #5 QB .
    I think if you were QB at Slippery Rock that checks all the needed boxes!

- - - Updated - - -

All kidding aside, I refuse to believe that only 15 athletes in the entire world are capable of being a legit NFL quarterback. My position is that the selection process is broken. Therefore, the more opportunities given to QBs outside of the normal selection process will only increase the odds of finding one more. I'm a fan of drafting a QB every year and also bringing 2-3 more to camp.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Amazing that these guys went undrafted.

Adam Vinatieri undrafted and played 24 years in the NFL.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nf...undrafted-team

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Amazing that these guys went undrafted.

Adam Vinatieri undrafted and played 24 years in the NFL.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nf...undrafted-team
    And some of these guys were in draft classes that went 400 rounds and they still went undrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Kuhn will welcome him w/open arms.

Alert the HOF tailors to prepare!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

So, since we are not supposed to discuss Steelers rookies from the Steelers rookie mini-camp... what exactly should we discuss on a Steelers forum?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

So I'm guessing no "tryouts" impressed enough to get a contract?

(figured Roland wouldn't)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    So, since we are not supposed to discuss Steelers rookies from the Steelers rookie mini-camp... what exactly should we discuss on a Steelers forum?

I know I have been practicing using more non-confusing abbreviations. Always trying to be a better me.