Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving Drops.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Improving Drops.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There may be less balls being tossed around though in 2021. He could possibly catch less passes (all the receivers could) but they could have an overall better season.
    True.

All I was really getting at in my typical wordy and roundabout manner was that this is a crossroads season for DJ. Decrease the drop % to single digits and he may become everything the team hopes for. Keep dropping passes at 11% and he becomes another of many highly athletic WRs to exit the NFL early.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It seems the more I read on the subject the more it seems to be a mental/confidence issue first. The solution seems to be more reps and more reps. Either the player climbs out of it or sinks further.
    To his credit, DJ has been working on his hands a LOT this off-season. Jugs machines and other hand-eye coordination drills (I think I saw something about him taking up juggling).

Fingers crossed

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    To his credit, DJ has been working on his hands a LOT this off-season. Jugs machines and other hand-eye coordination drills (I think I saw something about him taking up juggling).

Fingers crossed
    If you look only at his stats in yards per reception and percentage that results in 1st down or TD, DJ is very impressive and entering only his 3rd season. If he cleans up just half of his mistake drops he'll be jaw-dropping.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Diontae Johnson uses tennis ball machine to work on drops

Posted by Mike Florio on June 19, 2021

Steelers receiver Diontae Johnson led the league in drops last season. To kick his drops habit, Johnson worked with tennis balls.

Via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Johnson purchased a tennis ball machine and practiced catching the tiny, fuzzy spheres shot therefrom.

“It’s a smaller target so you have to really focus on the ball and the object coming at you,” Johnson said this week, via Rutter. “That’s what I’ve been honing on to. Now, when I catch the football it’s easy.”

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...work-on-drops/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Steelers receiver Diontae Johnson led the league in drops last season. To kick his drops habit, Johnson worked with tennis balls.

Via Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Johnson purchased a tennis ball machine and practiced catching the tiny, fuzzy spheres shot therefrom.

“It’s a smaller target so you have to really focus on the ball and the object coming at you,” Johnson said this week, via Rutter. “That’s what I’ve been honing on to. Now, when I catch the football it’s easy.”

to read rest of article:

Tomlin said 'catch the ball or be replaced'. Replaced by whom exactly?

The drops got so bad last season I started expecting a drop on every 3rd down pass. It wasn't just the number but also the situational drops that hurt us the most. Anyway, glad DJ is putting in the time and work.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

There is always somebody to replace a player if he cant do his job. Simple.

"We are going to have a contest. First prize is a new Cadillac, Second is a set of Steak knives, 3rd prize is You're Fired."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Hate to burst the bubble here but he was using that all off-season as well. There were plenty of videos of him using it in his driveway. Didn’t really seem to help then…

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Hate to burst the bubble here but he was using that all off-season as well. There were plenty of videos of him using it in his driveway. Didn’t really seem to help then…
    Very true. Tennis balls being used for football are nothing new. But it makes for a story that folks can click on and feel better.

Fairly common to use tennis balls with young middle school receivers and DB's to focus on catching.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

to read rest of article:

Maybe he just needs more tennis ball work?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Maybe he just needs more tennis ball work?
    He’s been doing tennis ball work since he was drafted. That’s not helping…lol

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Diontae Johnson's problem isn't tennis balls. Its mentality. He just doesn't have the mental makeup of an elite playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Diontae Johnson's problem isn't tennis balls. Its mentality. He just doesn't have the mental makeup of an elite playmaker.
    Been saying that for a few years. Head wise he’s not there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

DJ is a rhythm player for better or for worse. He needs a few shots to get into his groove each game. Then he is usually (not always) fine. But in the current situation, he isn't getting consistent enough targets to get his head in the game.

That is a DJ problem. But, unfortunately, it is also a Steelers problem because this is who he is. He needs to be involved early so you can count on him to make a play late.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

On Trubisky's third INT, DJ was the only one not aware of the ball, while the Ravens defenders' were. Wether or not it was a terrible decision to throw that ball(It was), DJ's awareness and mentality is simply not there.