Thread: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

The Pittsburgh Steelers had to make a very difficult decision with safety Terrell Edmunds. Monday was the deadline for the team to make a decision on the former first round pick’s 5th year option.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-breaking-news

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: The Steelers are choosing to decline Terrell Edmunds’ 5th year option

that was the right move , makes me wish we could have got Moehrig tho ...

Edmunds just isnt worth the kind of money the 5th year option dictates
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Most people weren't happy with this pick at the time and I think most were right. He wasn't worth a first.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Just watch, the lightbulb will go on for him this year. It was a $6+ million. It was probably the right call, but one that might be regretted.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He hasn't really proven much

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

the best thing he does is let everyone know what urkel would look like if he shot steroids

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I don't think Edmunds is a bad player, but just more a middle-of-the-road average safety. The Steelers were right in not picking up his option as that is too large a chunk of money for what he brings to the team.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He never developed. I had hoped he would, because he has shown some growth. Growth or not, he was picked on in the last playoff games (and, I have a feeling that teams will start to gameplan against his weaknesses).

I still do not get this pick. The Steelers had talked at length to Justin Reid and Jessie Bates. I was certain that one of them was going to be the pick. Then... they weren't.

In brighter news, LVE and Rashaan Evans (both of whom the Steelers had interest in) did not receive the 5th year option either... and will be free agents after the season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He never developed. I had hoped he would, because he has shown some growth. Growth or not, he was picked on in the last playoff games (and, I have a feeling that teams will start to gameplan against his weaknesses).

I still do not get this pick. The Steelers had talked at length to Justin Reid and Jessie Bates. I was certain that one of them was going to be the pick. Then... they weren't.

In brighter news, LVE and Rashaan Evans (both of whom the Steelers had interest in) did not receive the 5th year option either... and will be free agents after the season.
    I am not entirely convinced that the declining of the fifth year option means the Steelers are not still all in on Edmunds.

In the last two free agent cycles (2020 and 2021) only 8 safeties have signed contracts for $ 6 million or more. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contract...020/limit-100/

Only two SS have been paid 6 million or more.

It MAY be that the Steelers problem is not the play or progression of Edmunds but the fact that $6 million or whatever the 5th year option was is too far out of alignment with the safety market overall. Particularly the "not a bad-ass FS" market.

Why sign for $ 6 million of a 5th year, when there is a really good chance that assuming Edmunds and Steelers still like one another after all this....they can get together for like $3 or $4 per year.

Just a thought.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    the best thing he does is let everyone know what urkel would look like if he shot steroids
    Lol! Hilarious!

01/14/21
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    Should've also been Terrell Edmunds, #34, who was a shit truck being towed by a shit truck in the Clowns game.
    And so the shit wrecker drags the shit truck towing the shit truck away and it immediately smells a lot better around here.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I am not entirely convinced that the declining of the fifth year option means the Steelers are not still all in on Edmunds.

In the last two free agent cycles (2020 and 2021) only 8 safeties have signed contracts for $ 6 million or more. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contract...020/limit-100/

It MAY be that the Steelers problem is not the play or progression of Edmunds but the fact that $6 million or whatever the 5th year option was is too far out of alignment with the safety market overall. Particularly the "not a bad-ass FS" market.

Why sign for $ 6 million of a 5th year, when there is a really good chance that assuming Edmunds and Steelers still like one another after all this....they can get together for like $3 or $4 per year.

Just a thought.
    Remember this thread from last season?
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...oned-TE-eraser

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Remember this thread from last season?
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...oned-TE-eraser
    Yup. I feel like he might get resigned just not on the option. I’m wondering if this was a cap decision more than a performance one?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Just a thought.
    I can't seem to figure out that Sportac site. It does not list every safety (e.g. Edmunds and Fitzpatrick are not on the list); it appears to just list the ones who got a contract in 2020.

I have been an Edmunds supporter, and have been patient with his slow development. There are several threads where I outlined his growth between years one and two, and again between years two and three. But, he seems to have simply plateaued.

If he signs a four year $14 million contract, I will hope that he continues to develop. Then again, I could also see him being a quasi-expensive backup.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I can't seem to figure out that Sportac site. It does not list every safety (e.g. Edmunds and Fitzpatrick are not on the list); it appears to just list the ones who got a contract in 2020.

I have been an Edmunds supporter, and have been patient with his slow development. There are several threads where I outlined his growth between years one and two, and again between years two and three. But, he seems to have simply plateaued.

If he signs a four year $14 million contract, I will hope that he continues to develop. Then again, I could also see him being a quasi-expensive backup.
    Yeah the link didn’t end up showing what I wanted. The bottom line is that 6 million is high for a SS. SO…it might not be that they’re just done with him but more that they’re not paying over the continuing down safety market.

Again…just a Half formed thought.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers Now
    @PghSteelersNow

May 6

#Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said the team not picking up the fifth-year option of SS Terrell Edmunds was about the salary cap, not his performance.

https://twitter.com/PghSteelersNow/s...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think it's pretty simple. Many fans freaked out because he was a 1st round pick that didn't come right in and play well.

He has since become a solid player, but he still hasn't completely lived up to his expectations from being drafted that high. With the team having salary cap issues, it seems to make sense to decline for now and see what can be done later.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think it's pretty simple. Many fans freaked out because he was a 1st round pick that didn't come right in and play well.

He has since become a solid player, but he still hasn't completely lived up to his expectations from being drafted that high. With the team having salary cap issues, it seems to make sense to decline for now and see what can be done later.
    80 million+ in cap space in 2022... one would think if they wanted to keep him beyond this season they would have worked out an extension that doesn't pay him any more this year to save that tiny bit of space we have left , give him a fair contract for the next few years with a roster bonus included in 2022 to make up for not getting him a raise in 2021 and get him to sign ...

since they have not seemingly made any attempt to do so , Colberts words may be that light spray of water on the neighbors house to keep it from catching on fire and burning down ( not to completely piss off Edmunds in case their contingency plan falls through ?? ) ... just sort of thinking out loud here

@Dwins That is what I’m thinking, too.

Colbert: “Hey, Terrell. We are not going to sign the fifth-year option, but we will have $75 million in cap space after the season. There will be plenty of cap space for a big contract.”

Then, if Edmunds balls out, we have the cap space to extend him. If he does not, then he is allowed to venture off into free agency.

bingo