Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Steelers trade into the 5th round to select DE Isaiahh Loudermilk #156 overall.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: The Steelers trade into the 5th round to select DE Isaiahh Loudermilk #156 overall.

Thanks to all for the info and perspective. FWIW, I enjoyed the discussion.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The Steelers trade into the 5th round to select DE Isaiahh Loudermilk #156 overall.

What's with the extra 'h' at the end of his name??

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Its a silent "H" thats how all the kids spell it these days.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I find that a-moo-sing.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Its a silent "H" thats how all the kids spell it these days.

It's kind of like using OC for the center position.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Film Room: What Made DL Isaiahh Loudermilk An Easy Evaluation For Pittsburgh.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/05/film-room-what-made-dl-isaiahh-loudermilk-an-easy-evaluation-for-pittsburgh/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/05/film-room-what-made-dl-isaiahh-loudermilk-an-easy-evaluation-for-pittsburgh/
    Good stuff!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Am I the only one who hears Dr. King Shultz telling the marshall that he has a warrant for the dear, departed sheriff… issued by circuit court judge Henry Allen Laudermilk.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Pretty basic stuff. Just shows that Loudermilk has lined up in A, B and even C-Gap on occasion in college. By the time a D lineman is around 14, he can do that and understand his aiming points at takeoff. Plus footwork on stunts, slants, etc.

I thought the article was going to be about some technique in pad level, get off, locking out and possibly being adept at anchoring 1 gap, while being to play seek and get off his block well enough to rip crossface to another gap. I clicked on it, so I guess the bait did its job.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

All the pre draft reports said no. Some tape on him shows a guy that has a motor and locks out his arms well and strikes, but doesnt have athleticism to rush the passer. The best I could see is that he may push the pocket, but its likely he wont be in on obvious passing downs. So I'm not taking the click bait.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Even with the comparison as 'a poor man's Cam Heyward' I don't fully get the need to trade up for this player. I have gone back and read the draft scout reports and looked at the 'contextualization' and what he does well vs what he does not. Not saying I cannot be convinced just that I am not on board just yet. He seems to be another Demarcus Christmas to me.

At this point in the process of finding quality DL depth I'm more excited to watch the development of the 2 Kentucky guys T.J. Carter and Calvin Taylor.

I do think that with all the hopeful depth guys being brought in this means the end of Isaiah Buggs' and Carlos Davis' development as Steelers. I think Marsh is done as a steeler also.

Abdullah Anderson could be intriguing as a rotational depth player but my present favorite to win the depth role among these guys is Henry Mondeaux. Mondeaux not only has experience in this defense but has been productive on the field when he has gotten his chances.

Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Mondeaux, and Anderson/Loudermilk/Carter/Taylor are my current picks.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Even with the comparison as 'a poor man's Cam Heyward' I don't fully get the need to trade up for this player. I have gone back and read the draft scout reports and looked at the 'contextualization' and what he does well vs what he does not. Not saying I cannot be convinced just that I am not on board just yet. He seems to be another Demarcus Christmas to me.

At this point in the process of finding quality DL depth I'm more excited to watch the development of the 2 Kentucky guys T.J. Carter and Calvin Taylor.

I do think that with all the hopeful depth guys being brought in this means the end of Isaiah Buggs' and Carlos Davis' development as Steelers. I think Marsh is done as a steeler also.

Abdullah Anderson could be intriguing as a rotational depth player but my present favorite to win the depth role among these guys is Henry Mondeaux. Mondeaux not only has experience in this defense but has been productive on the field when he has gotten his chances.

Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Mondeaux, and Anderson/Loudermilk/Carter/Taylor are my current picks.
    All I got is that the Steelers prefer a very specific height/weight/arm length/etc profile along their defensive line. Each year there are very few of those players through the class. This year, based on what I read, there were less than “typical”.

Combine that with how similar the style of defense he played in college and he’s Colbert catnip.

Fairly rare that the Steelers draft a defensive lineman that they don’t have to change their body, their technique, or both.

Buggs and Davis haven’t really developed. Davis might still. But for a team (that in their minds) has SB aspirations, a rookie DL with the body type and play style familiarity is gonna be real tough for them to pass up. Most DL the Steelers draft take 1-2 years to impact. The Steelers seem to be in “win now” mode based on their draft selections. Loudermilk has a chance to soak up rotation snaps right away.

That’s all I can come up with for the reasoning behind the pick.