Thread: The Steelers select OT Dan Moore Jr #128 overall

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The Steelers select OT Dan Moore Jr #128 overall

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select OT Dan Moore Jr #128

Canada and Morgan (asst O-line coach) were both at his pro day.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I like how they're really committing to improving the run. RB, blocking TE, C/G, T

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select OT Dan Moore Jr #128 overall

I like this pick. I think he was a guy that was a little underrated.

Good solid pick.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He fits with what Canada and Klemm/Morgan want to do on offense.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

With Fichtner game and Ben likely in his last year, looks like the Steelers are trying to put a run game in place for the future.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Good solid pick.
    He is a bit heavy footed and most likely will end up projecting to RT. But 6'5-1/2", 309LBS and 33.75" long arms, he has the size and length to play outside. If he gets better footwork and technique, he could try the left side out, but he could be a solid RT going forward.

He put together a good senior bowl week.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Good solid pick.
    agreed ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    With Fichtner game and Ben likely in his last year, looks like the Steelers are trying to put a run game in place for the future.
    I've been saying this for months now they're building for after Ben which is smart. Even if we draft a great QB next year it will be nice to have a run game to take the pressure off of any rookie.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I like how they're really committing to improving the run. RB, blocking TE, C/G, T
    This is from the very top. Thank the Rooneys.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Here at the 3:25 mark of the video is a series of 4 reps of Dan Moore in 1 on 1 pass protection. A couple may look bad and are, but I can see its correctable if he takes coaching well.

The Bad
    - He gets too high and then lunges and throws hands at the rusher, getting out of balance and leaning too far forward.
    - He doesnt gets a good double tap with his kick slide on outside rushers, but tends to turn his shoulders early and shuffle laterally. (I think this is what one scout said he "heel clicks")
    - He doesnt seem to time his punch well in pass protection. He benched 28 reps, so has strength. He has long (34.5") arms, but he lets the rusher get in close to him with his arms bent so they can get their hands on him and push-pull, rip, steer him with rush moves.

The Good
    - He Bends well and moves well with the rushers. When Basham goes inside counter on him, he quickly redirects and uses the long arms to reach to him and shield from QB.
    - He "Finishes" or tries to on almost every play. He likes to use those long arms and all the time in the weight room to be able to give guys a shove with the arm extension and if he is moving his feet inline he has a chance to pancake them.

So, if he gets coached up on:
    1) Staying lower in his pass sets to anchor and have better balance
    2) Getting a consistent kick slide while keeping his shoulders more square to the LOS
    3) Timing his punch better to shock defenders while rushing and not over reaching to punch out of balance.

Then I think he can be a much improved pass protector. All stuff that Coach Klemm can work with. I think the common thread here with him and KG are aggressive guys that like to finish their blocks, not just make their blocks. I feel good about them restocking the talent in the O line group and moving in the direction of having a "bully mentality" on the O line, if I am seeing Coach Klemm's plan correctly.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Dan Moore Jr., OT, Texas A&M - Round 4

Entering the 2021 NFL Draft, the Steelers badly needed some young talent on their offensive line. Pittsburgh's offensive line saw some age impact declining veterans last season and then had attrition through free agency. Thus, it was surprising when the Steelers passed on offensive linemen in the first two rounds of the draft. While Pittsburgh took a patient approach, it came away two quality blockers, including Moore in the fourth round.

In pass protection, Moore (6-5, 311) has a solid skill set that should translate to the NFL. He has enough quickness and athleticism alongside above-average length to cut off the edge from speed rushers. With solid coaching from the Texas A&M staff, Moore shows developed technique and footwork to get himself in good position to execute his block. He also has the size and base to anchor against bull rushes and not get rolled into the pocket. Team sources have said they like how Moore is light on his feet and has good technique. With his experience in the SEC, the closest thing the NFL has to a minor league, Moore could compete for playing time quickly in the NFL.

Moore is more of a "wall off and tie up" blocker against the run. He is not a road grader who can rock defenders off the ball and roll them out of their gaps. As a pro, Moore has to get stronger and improve his ability to sustain blocks. Those will be critical to him becoming a starting right tackle and well-rounded blocker. Currently, he would be a good fit in a zone-blocking system where he does not need to be so physical.

With the Steelers, Moore could step in at right tackle early in his NFL career. He started 37 straight games in the SEC and battled a lot of good competition. It shouldn't take much for him to beat out journeyman veteran Zach Banner at right tackle, and with all of his experience, Moore could get some consideration at left tackle. While Moore may never become an elite offensive lineman, I think he could turn into a solid starter for Pittsburgh.

128. Dan Moore, OT, Texas A&M - A+ Grade

I was critical of the Steelers selecting a tight end over an offensive lineman, but someone should have told me that they would get a second-day prospect toward the end of the fourth round. This is terrific value and potentially fills a huge need.

https://walterfootball.com/rookiefor...21steelers.php