Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Steelers select Center Kendrick Green #87 overall

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select Center Kendrick Green #87 overall

Somebody let Born2Steel know that guys with 32.25" long arms can play inside proficiently, but when they have those short of arms, they generally become a liability on the outside in pass protection. For instance, Willie Colon. Opposing pass rushers with long arms can generally get to the chestplate or deltoid of the LT and execute a pass rush move.

Its not bias against guys with shorter arms, but just physics and technique. On the interior line, there is less room to work and the O lineman can make up for it with foot quickness and an effective pass pro technique.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Humphrey posted a Relative Athletic Score as the most athletic C prospect in the last 30 years. Plus he has a lot of experience at the position, dating back to Kyler Murray days when Humphrey was his center.

Meinerz has not played center before, other than Senior Bowl workouts. Meinarz has not played football since 2019, other than Senior Bowl. Meinerz has never been first team All Big-10 at guard, nor played D1 football.

Green might be the most athletic C in the draft, but at 6'2, doesnt possess the prototype size. But 33 straight starts, First team All Big-10, played 4 games at C, former D lineman and wrestler with great balance and leverage. Most of all, I think Klemm and the rest of the staff like that he plays with a nasty edge and enthusiasm. When you find a guy on O line that plays with the nasty attitude of a d lineman and the enthusiasm of a special teamer....its a great combo. I think they found a gem.
    NOTE: Meinerz posted the second-highest RAC score ever.

Like I said, it was a calculated risk... that panned out.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not everyone.
    Fair enough. But that first year where the team scored TDs in the redzone at a high rate and whatnot...this place was full of praise for Fichtner and how he was an improvement over Haley.

I am glad the dude is gone and am optimistic about Canada...but I am just saying....no games have been played yet. We shall see.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fair enough. But that first year where the team scored TDs in the redzone at a high rate and whatnot...this place was full of praise for Fichtner and how he was an improvement over Haley.

I am glad the dude is gone and am optimistic about Canada...but I am just saying....no games have been played yet. We shall see.
    Just a guess here. 2019 = had to be creative and fluid due to QB situation. 2020 = every snap ran through Ben first, less creativity used, more predictable.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Some of the draft Twitter guys have delved in to the Kendrick Green tapes. The comment that stuck out:

"Damn, this kid likes to hit people!!!"

Gotta love an aggressive O-lineman.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    NOTE: Meinerz posted the second-highest RAC score ever.

Like I said, it was a calculated risk... that panned out.
    Yup, I think in the process of scouting, you turn over as many rocks as possible and have several plans in place. Doesnt mean they would not have been happy with Meinerz, or Humphrey, Green, Menet, etc....it just means one was a better fit for them when it came time to pick.

I like in Klemm's press conference, he responded to a question that some of the scouting reports on Green was that pass blocking was a weakness for him and Klemm said something like "I want to say this in the most respectful way possible....but some people watch highlight films of players, while I watched 3 years of game tape on him"

Why do people refer to Center as an "OC"?? I thought that was the Offensive Coordinator. Should the Center just not be "C"? Its not like Tackle, where there are offensive and defensive Tackles.

Just asking a question, but sometimes the abbreviation "OC" gets thrown around here and I think we are talking about Coordinators.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Yup, I think in the process of scouting, you turn over as many rocks as possible and have several plans in place. Doesnt mean they would not have been happy with Meinerz, or Humphrey, Green, Menet, etc....it just means one was a better fit for them when it came time to pick.

I like in Klemm's press conference, he responded to a question that some of the scouting reports on Green was that pass blocking was a weakness for him and Klemm said something like "I want to say this in the most respectful way possible....but some people watch highlight films of players, while I watched 3 years of game tape on him"

Some people just don't realize that you can learn more about players on random run-of-the-mill plays than you can in highlight reels. Grinding it out in a game when they're banged up. Or dominating a rep on a play that turns out to be a disaster play for the team, but he was a technician that did everything right during a shit storm. Maybe a play that turns out to be a touchdown for that players team, but he took that play off and had nothing to do with the success of that play. Seeing a player run his ass off trying to make a play after a turnover.

There's a ton going on and a lot to be learned on plays that nobody is rewinding to watch again.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Why do people refer to Center as an "OC"?? I thought that was the Offensive Coordinator. Should the Center just not be "C"? Its not like Tackle, where there are offensive and defensive Tackles.

Just asking a question, but sometimes the abbreviation "OC" gets thrown around here and I think we are talking about Coordinators.
    Next we’ll start using DS for Safeties.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Next we’ll start using DS for Safeties.

You mean like Nintendo DS?

A couple of reasons. In some publications, the position is listed first, and in order to align everything evenly, the positions get two letters. When the position is listed second, it doesn’t really matter.

DT, Phil McCracken, Western Barber College
    OC, Joe Blows, Cadillac University
    PK, Betty Misses, Switzer U

Phil McCracken, DT, Western Barber College
    Joe Blows, C, Cadillac University
    Betty Misses, K, Switzer U

Secondly, it helps distinguish between cornerbacks and centers. Ourlads used to use just “C” for both, which got confusing; ergo, for a while, they switched to using CB for corners and OC for centers.

Jim Hopper, C, Hawkings College
    Saul Goodman, C, New Mexico St.

Jim Hopper, CB, Hawkings College
    Saul Goodman, OC, New Mexico St.

Lastly, some sites, some publications use only use one letter (C, G, & T) for offensive line... while others places use two letter (OC, OG, & OT). It just depends on where you are looking.

A couple of reasons. In some publications, the position is listed first, and in order to align everything evenly, the positions get two letters. When the position is listed second, it doesn’t really matter.

Secondly, it helps distinguish between cornerbacks and centers. Ourlads used to use just “C” for both, which got confusing; ergo, for a while, they switched to using CB for corners and OC for centers.

Lastly, some sites, some publications use only use one letter (C, G, & T) for offensive line... while others places use two letter (OC, OG, & OT). It just depends on where you are looking.
    I never knew some websites, publications, etc refer to the Center in 2 letters like that. Never been to Ourlads.

All I know is that I have never seen a Center referred to a OC in any graphic on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, NFLN, etc. Also, any coach that I have ever seen draw up a 5 man line on a whiteboard at any team meeting, coaching clinic, video presentation, now virtual clinic, in the past 25 years has never chalked up OC to refer to the center.

I guess I am just used to seeing it noted in football terms for a long time and not in website terms, where some sites must need 2 letters. So those sites must mark down the safety as SS or FS and not just S, is that correct?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They’d better call that OC from New Mexico St.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Humphrey posted a Relative Athletic Score as the most athletic C prospect in the last 30 years. Plus he has a lot of experience at the position, dating back to Kyler Murray days when Humphrey was his center.

Meinerz has not played center before, other than Senior Bowl workouts. Meinarz has not played football since 2019, other than Senior Bowl. Meinerz has never been first team All Big-10 at guard, nor played D1 football.

Green might be the most athletic C in the draft, but at 6'2, doesnt possess the prototype size. But 33 straight starts, First team All Big-10, played 4 games at C, former D lineman and wrestler with great balance and leverage. Most of all, I think Klemm and the rest of the staff like that he plays with a nasty edge and enthusiasm. When you find a guy on O line that plays with the nasty attitude of a d lineman and the enthusiasm of a special teamer....its a great combo. I think they found a gem.
    Didn't Green have RAS score of 92/93. Humphrey is athletic but my impression is Green is even more athletic. I saw Green's athleticism but I did not see Humphries. I am curious. Green is gonna be damn good in a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how many Snaps Green will practice daily now and add to his practice and workout calendar? 100 daily? 200? I am guessing 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post

I wonder how many Snaps Green will practice daily now and add to his practice and workout calendar? 100 daily? 200? I am guessing 100.
    The physical act of snapping a football, either under center or pistol formation, is not rocket science or requiring numerous reps. What he has to do is get down identifying fronts and counts, identifying the mike LB and making the line calls based upon whether they are running outside zone to the strong side or weak side of the defensive formation. There are protection calls as well, but basically the C is the QB of the Offensive line. Snapping a football is something I regularly teach to 14 year olds and isnt that difficult.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

The physical act of snapping a football, either under center or pistol formation, is not rocket science or requiring numerous reps. What he has to do is get down identifying fronts and counts, identifying the mike LB and making the line calls based upon whether they are running outside zone to the strong side or weak side of the defensive formation. There are protection calls as well, but basically the C is the QB of the Offensive line. Snapping a football is something I regularly teach to 14 year olds and isnt that difficult.
    Probably, Green will be watching more film than a California movie critic in the coming weeks and months. I'm glad he has had a few snaps and C, but he does have a lot of work to do, and I think he knows that.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They’d better call that OC from New Mexico St.
    You win!!!

@El-Gonzo

Slight correction. Back in the day, Ourlads had CB listed as DC: defensive corner. Yea, talk about confusing. (And, Yes, they listed the safeties as SS or FS.)

SPARQ/RAS:
    Kendrick Green’s SPARQ/RAS score is compared to other guards. I wonder how he’d rank compared to other centers. Either way, Klemm like Green’s demeanor (as much as his athleticism).

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Probably, Green will be watching more film than a California movie critic in the coming weeks and months. I'm glad he has had a few snaps and C, but he does have a lot of work to do, and I think he knows that.
    Yup, if you played 4 college games at center, you can snap a football. Still lots of knowledge and experience to soak up in meeting rooms, film rooms, mini camp, training camp about how to be the guy in the middle leading the group and making the calls. I like his skills, physicality and his attitude in the video on steelers.com is fantastic.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the chicks dig him:

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the chicks dig him:

I'm dying to know the context of this picture.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the chicks dig him:

The picture along w/your signature pic of Omar Epps tells the whole story

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm dying to know the context of this picture.
    My first thought is a Halloween pic of Heff and some of his 'Bunnies'.