Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select Center Kendrick Green #87 overall

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Steelers select Center Kendrick Green #87 overall

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Looking back at the last 2 days I think the first 3 rounds went just the way the Steelers wanted.
    I hope so, like many said, they had their pick of centers and chose a TE, looks like it all worked as planned.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Looking back at the last 2 days I think the first 3 rounds went just the way the Steelers wanted.
    I agree with this. Fans seem to be "meh" on the draft but these guys look like Steelers. I expect Green to grow on fans when they research more.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Green’s the color of money!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I hope so, like many said, they had their pick of centers and chose a TE, looks like it all worked as planned.
    From what I am reading, Green is the center that they wanted. Klemm spent significant time with him, but since Green was seen as a GUARD, most pundits overlooked this "sign" that the Steelers would draft him as a center.

That said, I am not sure if the Steelers would have taken him at 55, though. It would be interesting to know who they would have taken at 55 (or, for whom they were trying to trade up) if Freiermuth had not dropped to them.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Everyone loved Fichtner his first year.
    Not everyone.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

The great Joe Greene, the great Eric Green, the great Kevin Greene, the great Ladarius Green and now...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    The great Joe Greene, the great Eric Green, the great Kevin Greene, the great Ladarius Green and now...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I didnt know he was considered as a C prospect. But first team all Big 10, a former DT that converted to O line and played 3 solid seasons. Has a successful wrestling background, which always helps with leverage, balance, hand use skills. Also reportedly ran a 4.85 at Illinois pro day, so athletic enough to pull.

He got 1 game start at C in Soph year and 3 more this past season, so at least has practiced, gone thru offensive installation and game planning, then game experience at C. I bet we see Finney earn the start, but Green may push for playing time and will be the guy for the foreseeable future. OT Adrian Ealy from Oklahoma still there in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Not everyone.
    Which OC have we as fans actually liked? Chan Gailey?

Steelers have scored more than 400 points five times in Ben's career- 3 with Haley in six seasons and 2 with Fichtner in two seasons with Ben.

They are sooooo hated.

Fichtner got the 2nd and 4th most points in Ben's career in two seasons with Ben...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Short arms
    And pointy elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Which OC have we as fans actually liked? Chan Gailey?

Steelers have scored more than 400 points five times in Ben's career- 3 with Haley in six seasons and 2 with Fichtner in two seasons with Ben.

They are sooooo hated.

Fichtner got the 2nd and 4th most points in Ben's career in two seasons with Ben...
    I liked Whiz, Gailey, Mularkey was good, but eventually went to the gadget too often. I also was good with what Haley ran as an offense and a playcaller.

Fichtner never really had a sense of the rhythm of playcalling in games. There are things he called that completely seemed out of the blue and derailed success, or he never adjusted to what was being done or what was going to be done. He played checkers, while opposing DC's saw his game and played chess...especially after halftime adjustments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And pointy elbows.
    Yup, but that is when a guy like Green with 32.25" long arms plays inside and a guy like Eichenberg with 32.4" long arms, ends up playing RT or Guard.

Arm length is not a problem with Green.

Maybe. I just think in eight months we will hear how trash Canada is. Blame Canada.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

I really like this pick & Adrian Klemm.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

By most lists this is a reach and as much as a full two rounds. BUT... one has him at around 40 overall. SO strange.

That said I trust the Steelers in the third round. Despite all the accolades they get for drafting receivers, most of that is Ben actually. As everyone who leaves flames out pretty quick, Except Sanders.

What doesn't get talked about much is the incredible value the Steelers find in the third round. They kill it. Maybe best in the league IMO. that said, I have to have faith this pick is a winner.

But Green is green. Lotsa potential. But like Dotson, he needs a year before he starts and then I believe he will take off, just like Dotson will slaughter this year.

Finney this year and Green the next.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    From what I am reading, Green is the center that they wanted. Klemm spent significant time with him, but since Green was seen as a GUARD, most pundits overlooked this "sign" that the Steelers would draft him as a center.

That said, I am not sure if the Steelers would have taken him at 55, though. It would be interesting to know who they would have taken at 55 (or, for whom they were trying to trade up) if Freiermuth had not dropped to them.
    Oh? Which round did you here they were trying to move up? or just conjecture?

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed As I mentioned elsewhere...

Maybe the plan is to play him at RG. A few weeks back, Trai Essex said (something to the effect of): “Don’t be surprised if the Steelers draft the best interior linemen available... and move DeCastro to center

Not that I think it will happen, but it is indeed an interesting idea.
    Oh did he. I have wondered the same. interesting. But I think he has never snapped in camp in ten years. So I can;tg see it. Or am i wrong? I am pretty sure that Finney and Green battle and ultimately Finney plays C this year.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Well...love his Twitter handle

Kendrick J. Green

@The_fridge53

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I really like this pick & Adrian Klemm.
    Klemm is going to be very good for the Steelers. I posted an interview with him on a podcast with Coach Jeff Reinbold and he will bring an attitude of toughness, physicality and look to have some nasty finishers in the O line room. Part of coaching is being able to communicate what you want to players and Klemm can do that by his experience playing in the NFL. Another part is developing a culture by the way you coach and the kind of people you surround yourself with. Klemm wants DAWGS in his group and he will coach them to be that. He also will know how to coach outside zone, inside zone, power man, pin and pull techniques.

I like the pick as well. But Klemm was the more important move in the offseason.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

So he's a run blocking center who might develop I to a good pass blocker. I see where this season is headed. 2004 Ben.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post
    Oh? Which round did you here they were trying to move up? or just conjecture?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh did he. I have wondered the same. interesting. But I think he has never snapped in camp in ten years. So I can;tg see it. Or am i wrong? I am pretty sure that Finney and Green battle and ultimately Finney plays C this year.
    TRADE UP:
    I had so many devices going, that I can’t remember. It could have been Twitter or the chatterboxes on NFL Network or the talking heads on ESPN or the Isley Brothers...

DeCASTRO:
    Yea, I can’t tell if Trai was being facetious... or what. But, No, DeCastro ja never made an NFL snap. I don’t doubt that he could do it... I am just not sure that he actually ever will.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Let me pose a serious question for you 'arm length' guys. Not debating your list of qualities you look for, just how you justify your qualities. On the defensive side of the ball arm length extends to the fingertips. A defenders reach and ability to touch, redirect, tip, bat down, nuance, etc, a football in the air, in the QBs hand, or in a runners grasp is measured to the fingertips when talking defense.

But for an OL the measurement is to the wrist. A blocker is not going to extend fingers and tickle a pass rusher on his way to the QB, nor will he poke a DL in the chest while trying to move him out of a running/passing lane. He will 'put hands on' the defender in order to move a man that doesn't want to be moved. This is done by leverage, brute strength, forced counters, leg drive, and foot technique. The saying "lowest man wins" is a very proven teaching tool for the OL.

The way it is measured is different depending on which side of the ball. What are we really talking about with arm length anyway? At most maybe 2 inches for the shortest arms vs the longest arms, but typically we are talking about 1/2 inch at most. In the big picture of everything that takes place over the course of a football game, how often do we think, 'that sack wouldn't have happened if the OL had a 1/2 inch longer arms'? Or even 2-inch longer arms? We definitely see defenders miss by a mere 'breath' because the ball was ever so slightly out of reach. I just don't think it's that big of a deal on the offense. Maurkice Pouncey has 32.5 inch arms, just saying.

Jim Wexell had Green as his #1 center.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Jim Wexell had Green as his #1 center.
    I do too as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I do too as of today.
    Well played

Lovie Smith is good friends with Mike Tomlin. I wonder if that had any influence on the pick...

Well played

Lovie Smith is good friends with Mike Tomlin. I wonder if that had any influence on the pick...
    Must be something the coaches saw with Green. If drafting an athletic OC with all that were available, I would have bet big money the name would have been Humphrey. I sort of had Humphrey zeroed in ever since he announced. I will obviously defer to the wisdom of the coaches though and welcome my new favorite OC to the team.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Klemm is going to be very good for the Steelers. I posted an interview with him on a podcast with Coach Jeff Reinbold and he will bring an attitude of toughness, physicality and look to have some nasty finishers in the O line room. Part of coaching is being able to communicate what you want to players and Klemm can do that by his experience playing in the NFL. Another part is developing a culture by the way you coach and the kind of people you surround yourself with. Klemm wants DAWGS in his group and he will coach them to be that. He also will know how to coach outside zone, inside zone, power man, pin and pull techniques.

I like the pick as well. But Klemm was the more important move in the offseason.
    I agree.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I agree.
    Oh, come on, people here will be bitching about him in less than six months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Must be something the coaches saw with Green. If drafting an athletic OC with all that were available, I would have bet big money the name would have been Humphrey. I sort of had Humphrey zeroed in ever since he announced. I will obviously defer to the wisdom of the coaches though and welcome my new favorite OC to the team.
    They sent Chris Morgan to Oklahoma's pro day. Klemm spent significant time with Meinerz and Green. In other words, the Steelers were looking for an athletic center.

Maybe they had Humphrey rated higher... maybe (even though they have stated that Green was their top pick), but when Freiermuth fell to them, they took the gamble of getting one of the "other two" at 87. It worked out, because Meinerz and Green were both there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Oh, come on, people here will be bitching about him in less than six months from now.
    Probably true, but those people most likely know next to nothing about playing offensive line.

They sent Chris Morgan to Oklahoma's pro day. Klemm spent significant time with Meinerz and Green. In other words, the Steelers were looking for an athletic center.

Maybe they had Humphrey rated higher... maybe (even though they have stated that Green was their top pick), but when Freiermuth fell to them, they took the gamble of getting one of the "other two" at 87. It worked out, because Meinerz and Green were both there.
    Humphrey posted a Relative Athletic Score as the most athletic C prospect in the last 30 years. Plus he has a lot of experience at the position, dating back to Kyler Murray days when Humphrey was his center.

Meinerz has not played center before, other than Senior Bowl workouts. Meinarz has not played football since 2019, other than Senior Bowl. Meinerz has never been first team All Big-10 at guard, nor played D1 football.

Green might be the most athletic C in the draft, but at 6'2, doesnt possess the prototype size. But 33 straight starts, First team All Big-10, played 4 games at C, former D lineman and wrestler with great balance and leverage. Most of all, I think Klemm and the rest of the staff like that he plays with a nasty edge and enthusiasm. When you find a guy on O line that plays with the nasty attitude of a d lineman and the enthusiasm of a special teamer....its a great combo. I think they found a gem.