Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select TE Pat Freiermuth #55 overall

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select TE Pat Freiermuth #55 overall

If he’s better at blocking than what we currently have it’s an improvement - seen too many TFL’s last year and I think a good portion of those came from the TE position

plus the guy can run routes, catch and fights for yards after the catch, it looks like a very good pick.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    If he’s better at blocking than what we currently have it’s an improvement - seen too many TFL’s last year and I think a good portion of those came from the TE position

plus the guy can run routes, catch and fights for yards after the catch, it looks like a very good pick.
    Shoes agrees with this message

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Shoes agrees with this message
    I do, although I would have taken Hunter Long if I had my choice, but I'm still very happy with the pick. PF has what the Steelers want, he needs time on the potters wheel like every other player but the difference is he's young, very teachable and has the skills and will to do it. I honestly don't know what more you could ask for. The Steelers have more than blocking in their plans for PF and I do believe he will excel at blocking. The truth is we are living in a day where fans believe a Steeler 3rd QB should be able to come in and play like Pat Mahomes and get pissed and foam at the mouth because he doesn't. I think its very possible that PF will be a pro bowl TE if he has a healthy 10 year career. If he doesn't so what, having a steady, reliable player who can do all you ask of him is all that matters. I mean look at Edelman, no pro bowls but a sure all out football player that won many games for his team and isn't that what its all about?

https://www.steelers.com/news/i-don-...y-from-contact
    Last edited by Shoes; 05-04-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

^i think he’s going to contribute right away, and he’s going to help make Najee Harris look good.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

As I mentioned in an earlier post, his last name is a Swiss name. My wife is Swiss and a huge Steeler fan. He has now be come her defacto favorite player. She even pronounces his name in the proper Swiss dialect. Friyar-moot. Thats the best phonetic spelling I can do. Sounds much sexier when she says it. LOL. I cannot wait to hear her shout it on his first big play!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, his last name is a Swiss name. My wife is Swiss and a huge Steeler fan. He has now be come her defacto favorite player. She even pronounces his name in the proper Swiss dialect. Friyar-moot. Thats the best phonetic spelling I can do. Sounds much sexier when she says it. LOL. I cannot wait to hear her shout it on his first big play!
    you might have to call a time out

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    Ben is also of Swiss ancestry.

Послато са Redmi Note 9 Pro помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I read a statistic somewhere that Freiermuth never dropped a single pass thrown to him in the red zone during his entire college career. That is actually quite amazing to me, and while I don't profess to have watched him play for Penn State, it is quite apparent just from highlight reels that he has very good/excellent hands. One of my good friends is a Penn State grad and watches all their games, and he texted me after the draft pick to tell me that I am going to love having Freiermuth on the Steelers.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

only question i have is when he catches the ball do i scream HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTH HHHHHHHHHHHHH still?

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Muuutttthhhhh!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I read a statistic somewhere that Freiermuth never dropped a single pass thrown to him in the red zone during his entire college career. That is actually quite amazing to me, and while I don't profess to have watched him play for Penn State, it is quite apparent just from highlight reels that he has very good/excellent hands. One of my good friends is a Penn State grad and watches all their games, and he texted me after the draft pick to tell me that I am going to love having Freiermuth on the Steelers.
    Indeed He has a 96% catch rate.

...which means that even if he is only the same level of blocker as Ebron (which I don’t agree with, but that’s not my point), Freiermuth is an upgrade over Ebron in that Freiermuth can actually CATCH the ball.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    For his career (in the red-zone):
    13 TDs
    0 drops

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Got potential! He’s definitely not afraid to get in there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That article does two things:

1. makes me feel a bit better about the blocking in the run game
    2. makes me consider that Canada may be using his TE to block in more mobile ways than I had originally thought of. That seems to align more with PF's demonstrated skill set than just sticking him on the OT's hip and telling him to maul a guy.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That article does two things:

1. makes me feel a bit better about the blocking in the run game
    2. makes me consider that Canada may be using his TE to block in more mobile ways than I had originally thought of. That seems to align more with PF's demonstrated skill set than just sticking him on the OT's hip and telling him to maul a guy.
    That's what stands out on the tape.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That's what stands out on the tape.
    True. And I wasn’t looking for that before. Just trying to find him at the end of the line rooting out DEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    True. And I wasn’t looking for that before. Just trying to find him at the end of the line rooting out DEs.
    Yeah 4 yards is great but getting to the second level and taking a few to the house requires that kind of blocking too.

I think he's gonna be a good one:

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Matt Canada commented on the rookie Tight End.

"Really been pleased with him," Canada said "Certainly, we were all, obviously, excited when we got him, excited he was still around. And I think he has exceeded or met every expectation. He’s certainly a student of the game, very conscientious and working hard. I like him a lot. He’s done a very good job as this point. As everybody, a long way to go, but really, really pleased with him."

Mike Tomlin added, "He’s working hard. He’s on the details."

He'll see the field sooner rather than later!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Matt Canada commented on the rookie Tight End.

"Really been pleased with him," Canada said "Certainly, we were all, obviously, excited when we got him, excited he was still around. And I think he has exceeded or met every expectation. He’s certainly a student of the game, very conscientious and working hard. I like him a lot. He’s done a very good job as this point. As everybody, a long way to go, but really, really pleased with him."

Mike Tomlin added, "He’s working hard. He’s on the details."

That is exactly what you want to hear coaches saying about a young player.

That's a great sign that he will make sure that his substantial talents are maximized.

Highest pick for a TE since Heath Miller

other first round TE picks for the steelers

Mark Bruener
    Eric Green
    Bennie Cunningham

good track record for TE’s pick in the first round, considering Friermuth is a second round pick chances are good he’ll be good to very good, certainly the best since Heath

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    That is exactly what you want to hear coaches saying about a young player.

That's a great sign that he will make sure that his substantial talents are maximized.
    “Student of the game” and “on the details” are the key phrases there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Highest pick for a TE since Heath Miller

other first round TE picks for the steelers

Mark Bruener
    Eric Green
    Bennie Cunningham

good track record for TE’s pick in the first round, considering Friermuth is a second round pick chances are good he’ll be good to very good, certainly the best since Heath

bold prediction .....

he ends up being better than Heath .................................
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

bold prediction .....

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

bold prediction .....

Wow. That is a bold prediction. Heath was a HOF caliber player, and in a different offense could have had Jason Witten type stats.

If PF can catch and block like Heath, he’ll be a fan favorite in no time.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If anything, I'm glad they finally made a real investment to improve the TE position rather than taking fliers on 5th-6th rounders

bold prediction .....