Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select TE Pat Freiermuth #55 overall

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select TE Pat Freiermuth #55 overall

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I don’t hate the pick, but they literally had their choice of the top centers this draft, so there is that.
    I thought sure they would take a center too, but i guees its gonna be load up the offensive for one more run with Ben at QB.

At least we didnt take a a smurf CB from Appalachian State, lol, THAT would be a Colbert pick.

I wonder how much influence Canada has.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Calling it now.... fans chant "Muuuuuuth"!
    This post gave me chills

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I can not believe the takes of some guys that get paid to by analysts .....

Pat Freiermuth TE, PSU

Height: 6-5, Weight: 260
    Reminds me of Nick Vannett. Decent separation and YAC skill. Just don't know if he moves the needle as much as a receiver. But where's the offensive line? (Chris Trapasso) c+

Nick Vannett ??? did he even watch Freiermuth at all ???

I could see a Zach Ertz comp or even a Tyler Eifert comp ... but Nick freaking Vannett ??? and this dude gets paid for mailing shit like this in
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Can't believe he dropped to us. Love the pick.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

I could see a Zach Ertz comp or even a Tyler Eifert comp ... but Nick freaking Vannett ??? and this dude gets paid for mailing shit like this in

It's pretty fucking sad seeing what some of these "experts" say about players. Some of them don't have a clue and you wonder if they watch one second of tape or if they just get their takes from others and run with them.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's pretty fucking sad seeing what some of these "experts" say about players. Some of them don't have a clue and you wonder if they watch one second of tape or if they just get their takes from others and run with them.
    This, of course, is my favorite:

“10 years from now, we’re going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented WR in the 2008 NFL Draft class.” -- ESPN Analyst Todd McShay.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    96% catch percentage

The antithesis of Eric Ebron.
    And he can block. Definitely the antithesis of Eazy E.

Maybe we can call him Baby Heath.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    And he can block. Definitely the antithesis of Eazy E.

Maybe we can call him Baby Heath.
    Muuuuuuth

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

R2: Creed Humphrey
    R3: Stone Forsythe

This would have been an A+ first 2 days

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Mr. Reliable: This stat about Penn State's Pat Freiermuth is ridiculous

Dustin Shutte

Quarterbacks love playing with receivers and tight ends who haul in every pass that’s thrown their way. It’s especially important inside the red zone. Based on a recent statistic that was released, that sure-handedness is probably why Penn State’s Pat Freiermuth was a regular target in the red zone.

Pro Football Focus recently revealed a pretty impressive stat involving Freiermuth. The Penn State tight end didn’t ever drop a pass thrown his direction in the red zone in his three seasons with the Nittany Lions.

That’s a pretty valuable asset to have on your side.

Freiermuth didn’t have many catches in the red zone this past season for the Nittany Lions because of an injury that kept him sidelined. He had just 2 receptions for 12 yards and a touchdown during the 2020 campaign inside the opponents’ 20-yard line. The previous two seasons were a different story.

In the 2018 and 2019 seasons, Freiermuth hauled in 17 passes for 187 yards and 12 touchdowns when Penn State was in the red zone. That means he was targeted 19 total times in the red zone during his career in Happy Valley, and totaled 199 yards and 13 touchdowns without a single drop.

Not bad.

Over the course of his three-year career at Penn State, Freirmuth made 92 catches for 1,185 yards and 16 touchdowns. He’s considered one of the top tight end prospects available in the 2021 NFL Draft.

If he can be as reliable in the red zone at the next level as he was at Penn State, Freiermuth’s professional career witll be in great shape.

https://saturdaytradition.com/penn-s...is-ridiculous/

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Muuuuuuth

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

I was thinking TE in the 1st round, so this is good enough for me.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'm really happy for Shoes!! Finally an upper tier TE. Starts as the #2 TE, with upside to develop. Another need filled.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This, of course, is my favorite:

“10 years from now, we’re going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented WR in the 2008 NFL Draft class.” -- ESPN Analyst Todd McShay.
    I would have thought that too. I thought Sweed looked like Moss from his college tape.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

i gotta stop pronouncing his name fryermouth lol

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Round 2, No. 55 overall: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State

My take: The Steelers got the second-best tight end in the draft with shades of Rob Gronkowski at 6-foot-5, 251 pounds and the ability to stretch the field. With Vance McDonald retired, Pittsburgh needs a do-it-all tight end opposite Eric Ebron. Pittsburgh passed on the chance to address a struggling offensive line. Many good centers and guards were available. But the first two picks, Harris and Freiermuth, seem like quintessential Steelers with toughness and production. Hard to knock that.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...very-selection

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

I got my guy. I mocked him for the second round. Yeehaw. Perfect fit. A young Miller. Just needs some coaching up as a blocker. And very doable. A true tight end. Pumped.

Missed my Tackle in round one. TO be honest. Content enough with Harris. I think the third best rb in the draft though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. It is coming.

- - - Updated - - -

But words with the letter V are oh so cool, don't you know?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Muuuuuuth

Yes! I looked Russ after I heard his name and said, " How is that ever going to sound like "Heeeaatthh!". He looked at me with a dead pan face and said "Paaaaaaat!".

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Round 2, No. 55 overall: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State

My take: The Steelers got the second-best tight end in the draft with shades of Rob Gronkowski at 6-foot-5, 251 pounds and the ability to stretch the field. With Vance McDonald retired, Pittsburgh needs a do-it-all tight end opposite Eric Ebron. Pittsburgh passed on the chance to address a struggling offensive line. Many good centers and guards were available. But the first two picks, Harris and Freiermuth, seem like quintessential Steelers with toughness and production. Hard to knock that.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...very-selection
    Good read

Now if we can just convince Ben to throw to the TE's more than 3-4 times a game.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

We needed a TE that could block and catch in the worst way.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Not picking at you or your post. Just as an example of conflicting ideas that keep popping up on here. A good blocking TE has 32.5 inch arms/good pass catching TE has 32.5 inch arms, and that is GREAT! An OC has 32.5 inch arms and posts are about his "short arms". I want to be very clear I want to understand the approach so there can be discussion and not debate. Just because others would do things differently does not mean they are wrong in how they do it, just different. How I see it anyway. Can anyone explain?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not picking at you or your post. Just as an example of conflicting ideas that keep popping up on here. A good blocking TE has 32.5 inch arms/good pass catching TE has 32.5 inch arms, and that is GREAT! An OC has 32.5 inch arms and posts are about his "short arms". I want to be very clear I want to understand the approach so there can be discussion and not debate. Just because others would do things differently does not mean they are wrong in how they do it, just different. How I see it anyway. Can anyone explain?
    Good question, I’m only guessing but the interior lineman has to sometimes face multiple defenders and make contact with more than one in a short amount of time. The longer arms help. TE just has to take care of one guy, like I said just a guess. Someone else may have better insight on this. My post was based on seeing poor missed blocking from the TE position last season. And that seemed to contribute to our poor running game. It wasn’t often that there was room to run to the outside. Ebron wasn’t good, Vance was a little better when healthy. I think the position needed an upgrade just as much as center.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Good question, I’m only guessing but the interior lineman has to sometimes face multiple defenders and make contact with more than one in a short amount of time. The longer arms help. TE just has to take care of one guy, like I said just a guess. Someone else may have better insight on this. My post was based on seeing poor missed blocking from the TE position last season. And that seemed to contribute to our poor running game. It wasn’t often that there was room to run to the outside. Ebron wasn’t good, Vance was a little better when healthy. I think the position needed an upgrade just as much as center.
    The TE position has needed an upgrade since Heath retired and I think everybody is in agreement there. Yet to be determined if Freiermuth will be that upgrade or not. I have a good feeling about him though. I feel like the 'arm length' thing is over-blown for these offensive guys. There may be that play here or there where longer arms would have helped but it's really a bigger factor for the defensive guys. The OL knows how to handle the different rushers they will see.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

I doubt many here speak Swiss German, but his name translates to English as (roughly) Free Courage. Thats cool!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

We already have a TE that could block in the WORST way. I’m happy to get a TE who can block in a better way.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Many are saying that the Steelers got the #1 TE in the draft... because... they do not see Kyle Pitts as a TE (some see him as a big WR, like Jimmy Graham). I am not sure that I agree with that assessment of Pitts, but I will sure as heck go with the "Steelers got the top-rated TE in the draft" portion of that sentiment.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

You are on the right track. A blocking TE is going to block in a few ways...1. In Line blocking-Blocking the guy in front of him, which is most often a DE or OLB and involves stepping forward. 2. Run Blocking in space-2nd level LB, DB in WR screens, as an H back from the backfield. 3. Pass protection-mostly help with an OT on the outside, or as an H back in max protection.

All of those above involve more footwork to get to the angle and then get hand placement and drive in run block or settle in pass protection.

An interior lineman in pass protection mostly is at a slight disadvantage to the defender if the defender has longer arms and can get to the chest plate and or the deltoid pad of the Interior Lineman and extend, read, shed, rip crossface, etc. Its not as big of a deal, because the interior lineman is trying to have his toes mirror the toes of the rusher(some call it being 50-50) and sit down. Its more of an issue on the outside at OT, where the OT is trying to have his outside toe, mirror the crotch of the rusher (some call it being 75-25).

Summation:
    32" arms on a TE is short, but he can still execute blocks well, because of footwork and he isnt pass protecting as much as an Interior lineman. Having 32" arms on a OT is short and he can potentially be beaten by outside pass rushers with a long arm swat and other moves, because he can get his hands on the OT, before the OT gets his hands on the rusher.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Penn State tight end Pat Freiermuth has 'All-Pro potential' with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate...-the-nfl-draft

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So...as of today...he is tall with a big frame. That is it?

He needs to run better routes, learn how to block, and get faster/stronger?

Again...I am having a hard time understanding how this guy isn't considered one of the most over-rated prospects. If the 2021 class wasn't so shallow...would anyone really be excited about this guy as a second round pick?

This is a sample of some of the more negative scouting reports that are out there: https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/02/03/...rt-baby-gronk/
    "A huge part of blocking is desire and technique and once Freiermuth starts showing those things, he has the strength needed to be an asset in the run game."

I get that almost all TEs are developmental projects for the NFL (I often make that exact argument) but from a tool around the internet this weekend, it appears that Freiermuth is essentially ALL projection based on his size and his hands. That, for me, puts him right in line with a laundry list of Steelers TE draft picks that were also tall and had soft hands. And then didn't do a whole heckuva lot in the NFL. But this time, instead of being selected in rounds 5-7...they did it in round 2.

I understand that the Steelers clearly have a type of TE they are looking for. This dude looks the part...but I do not think he is ready for prime-time and I strongly question any prospect who is being sold because "look he is big and SHOULD be able to block" while being asked to ignore the fact that he isn't very good at it.