Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select RB Najee Harris #24 overall

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select RB Najee Harris #24 overall

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It appears that Najee is trying to help everyone out with the pronunciation of his name. He tweeted out (and told reporters) the following:

Na-GEE
    It is not Na-JAY

Apparently, this public service announcement came after some guy in the strip district’s head exploded while trying to say the name.
    Na-Gee "Don't call me Dookie" Harris

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Yinzer Translator = Nawh-gee

Nah, wauch auht fur dem jagger bushes ov'r dare.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2021 NFL Draft: Micah Parsons-Cowboys, Najee Harris-Steelers among five favorite picks

Published: May 03, 2021
    NFL.com Analyst

Najee Harris Alabama · RB

Pittsburgh Steelers Round 1 · No. 24 overall

The Steelers' offense hasn't been the same since Le'Veon Bell's departure. However, that should change with Harris' arrival. The Alabama standout is a mix of Matt Forte and Bell, with a game that could enable him to thrive as an RB1/WR2 in Pittsburgh. Harris' combination of power running skills and soft hands makes him a rare find at the position as an ultra-versatile playmaker from the backfield. He should immediately alleviate some of the pressure on Ben Roethlisberger to carry the offense as a reliable runner between the tackles with pass-catching skills to turn screens, check downs and quick routes into big plays on the perimeter.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...ive-favorite-p

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    2021 NFL Draft: Micah Parsons-Cowboys, Najee Harris-Steelers among five favorite picks

Published: May 03, 2021
    NFL.com Analyst

Najee Harris Alabama · RB

Pittsburgh Steelers Round 1 · No. 24 overall

The Steelers' offense hasn't been the same since Le'Veon Bell's departure. However, that should change with Harris' arrival. The Alabama standout is a mix of Matt Forte and Bell, with a game that could enable him to thrive as an RB1/WR2 in Pittsburgh. Harris' combination of power running skills and soft hands makes him a rare find at the position as an ultra-versatile playmaker from the backfield. He should immediately alleviate some of the pressure on Ben Roethlisberger to carry the offense as a reliable runner between the tackles with pass-catching skills to turn screens, check downs and quick routes into big plays on the perimeter.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...ive-favorite-p
    I hate articles like this.

Steelers points per season with Bell: 405.

Steelers points per season after Bell (healthy Ben): 422.

"It's not the same!!!"

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Lynch's interviews always crack me up.

basically: "Well shit, goddamnit motherfucker is bad, you feel me?"

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Lynch's interviews always crack me up.

basically: "Well shit, goddamnit motherfucker is bad, you feel me?"
    As long as he did the interview at Applebee's I would be there to see it for sure.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I saw that too. At first it made go "Oh hell yeah", then thinking of Marsha Marsha Marsha, I went Ohhhh Nooo! Marshawn Lynch is a weird SOB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The RB room got a huge boost IMO with drafting Harris. But it's still far from a great room. I think since no UDFA RBs were brought in that this is what we will have to work with. Duke Johnson is still a FA. Bryce Love is now a full year removed from ACL repair and still a FA.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The RB room got a huge boost IMO with drafting Harris. But it's still far from a great room. I think since no UDFA RBs were brought in that this is what we will have to work with. Duke Johnson is still a FA. Bryce Love is now a full year removed from ACL repair and still a FA.
    I've thought all offseason Duke Johnson would be a good option as a backup RB

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I've thought all offseason Duke Johnson would be a good option as a backup RB
    I'm still not sold on the idea 100% but I think he very well could upgrade the RB room from where it is today. No doubt in my mind Harris is going to be the 'bell-cow' RB that rarely comes off the field. There is no other RB on roster that brings what Harris brings form a versatility standpoint. And what there is behind him is no James Conner either. I'm thinking these offensive groups are in for some more shaking up before it's all settled. Maybe not.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Lions released Kerryon Johnson. He’s the only Lions RB to break 100 yards in the past nine seasons. He’s a good pass-catcher (sort of Bell Lite)... which would be a perfect fit for spelling Harris.

The Lions released Kerryon Johnson. He’s the only Lions RB to break 100 yards in the past nine seasons. He’s a good pass-catcher (sort of Bell Lite)... which would be a perfect fit for spelling Harris.
    Really! He was a workhorse at Auburn. Was he released because of injury?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If he is healthy and if his injuries have not sapped him of his abilities too much...he would be a great secondary back. Little bit I saw of him last season, he was still actually the best all around back the Lions had. They just soured on him for some reason.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

imagine if we had john kuhn blocking for him. 3k yards fosho

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There will be no “spelling” of Harris. 400 carries a year for 5 years.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Eagles claimed him, great move by them imo.

Eagles claimed him, great move by them imo.
    Eagles have an interesting RB room, plus Jalen Hurts.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Steelers aren’t signing a veteran RB. They have their bell cow. The rest of the RB room will be the current cast of scrubs.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Not sure if this has been posted yet....sounds like Naw-gee will be the perfect Steeler. The good ones always get rules named after them.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Steelers aren’t signing a veteran RB. They have their bell cow. The rest of the RB room will be the current cast of scrubs.
    Unfortunately I believe you are correct. But what else are we gonna speculate on until TC?

Unfortunately I believe you are correct. But what else are we gonna speculate on until TC?
    1) should Tomlin be fired?
    2) what the hell was Colbert thinking this draft?
    3) how many more years will Ben play?
    4) will our OL suck as badly as last year?
    5) does Rooney really care about winning?

1) should Tomlin be fired?
    2) what the hell was Colbert thinking this draft?
    3) how many more years will Ben play?
    4) will our OL suck as badly as last year?
    5) does Rooney really care about winning?
    THAT is the usual playlist. I was hoping to mix in a few new tunes to the rotation though.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

THAT is the usual playlist. I was hoping to mix in a few new tunes to the rotation though.

Don't worry. We have people here that will come up with some new and interesting sky-is-falling complaints, concerns, and bitches.

They never let us down.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Don't worry. We have people here that will come up with some new and interesting sky-is-falling complaints, concerns, and bitches.

They never let us down.
    why would the Steelers pick a RB in the first round when they are so easy to find in the later rounds like James Conner, Jaylen Samuels and Anthony McFarland?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm actually happy about it. I think Harris is all we need. Injury is another story, but in that case it's Snell.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm actually happy about it. I think Harris is all we need. Injury is another story, but in that case it's Snell.
    Harris is all they need, but McFarland will get reps because they need to prove to themselves that they didn't make a mistake in drafting a RB with speed, but doesn't survive contact well. Next is that complimentary bigger RB and its between Ballage and Snell.

The wild card IMO is Samuels, as Matt Canada used him in a variety of ways at NC State as a RB, TE, H-back in the run and passing game. So did he push for maybe some of that last year and Fichtner didnt want to hear it, or has Canada moved on from Samuels and his talents?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Harris is all they need, but McFarland will get reps because they need to prove to themselves that they didn't make a mistake in drafting a RB with speed, but doesn't survive contact well. Next is that complimentary bigger RB and its between Ballage and Snell.

The wild card IMO is Samuels, as Matt Canada used him in a variety of ways at NC State as a RB, TE, H-back in the run and passing game. So did he push for maybe some of that last year and Fichtner didnt want to hear it, or has Canada moved on from Samuels and his talents?
    McFarland is about the same size as Devin Singletary, if he can't handle the #2 role, it's not because he's too small

Dri Archer and Rainey on the other hand.. Yeah there's a reason why you don't see too many 170lb running backs in the NFL lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    McFarland is about the same size as Devin Singletary, if he can't handle the #2 role, it's not because he's too small

Dri Archer and Rainey on the other hand.. Yeah there's a reason why you don't see too many 170lb running backs in the NFL lol.
    McFarland runs too upright, despite being 5'8, 193lbs. he doesnt sink his hips and lower his center of gravity when making cuts inside and doesnt have the base, which would help him stay upright thru some contact. Watch the below video and when he changes direction, he is mostly high and feet narrow and close together.

Devin Singletary who is 10 lbs heavier at listed 203lbs, when he makes cuts he widens his legs, sinks his hips, which allows him to have a stronger base and survive contact, but also allows him to change direction and accelerate out of that cut quicker. McFarland runs too tall and doesnt accelerate out of a lateral cut that quickly, so defenders get to him and make the tackle often when he makes one cut.

Have a look at this video when Singletary makes a cut, how wide his feet get, how low he sinks his center of gravity and how quickly he gets back to speed once a cut is made.

Two different running styles. One allows Singletary to play "bigger" than his 5'7, 203lbs, while the other is one of a speed guy that works in college, where defenders were running a 4.8 40, but IMO it doesnt translate well to the NFL where everybody he plays against was "on scholarship".