Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select RB Najee Harris #24 overall

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select RB Najee Harris #24 overall

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Scary to think Snell is #2, they need to fix that ASAP
    They already did when Kalen Ballage was signed.

The Harris pick was the best move to make at #24. Great pick.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Alabama all time Rushing stats.

Derrick Henry: .....602 ATT, 3591 YDS, 6.0 YPC, 42 TD,

Shaun Alexander:..727 ATT, 3565 YDS, 4.9 YPC, 41 TD

Najee Harris:........638 ATT, 3843 YDS, 6.0 YPC, 46 TD

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Shhhhhhhh...don't say that to Steeler Nation.

Art Rooney II is a meddling cheap owner.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, didn't know Shaun Alexander-Barber (Tiki and Ronde's "brother" ) went to Alabama

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Agreed, do you think Snell will be #3?

According to this they have snell at #2

Running Backs

1. Najee Harris
    2. Benny Snell Jr.
    3. Jaylen Samuels
    4. Anthony McFarland Jr.
    5. Kalen Ballage
    6. Trey Edmunds

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...is-benny-snell
    Last edited by Shoes; 04-30-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by buzz998 View Post
    i am not sure most "expert fans" are not happy as much as they do see a need on the o-line. yes, RB was a huge need and Harris fills that in a big way. but if you can't give your QB more than 2 secs to throw the ball and you can't open a running lane for a running back what good does a quality running back really do?
    Everything you said is correct. But you can't fix every hole with one pick. If they can get our center of the future and some tackle help in the next 4 rounds Harris makes perfect sense to me. The Steelers have had some pretty good left tackles over the past years. How many of them were selected in the first round? As for Center, has any center been selected yet? I think they can find a quality center over the next two rounds.

Besides who I am to argue with Franco's Italian Army. I bet Rocky's Squirrels even agree with this pick

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Good company to be in

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Well, Art Rooney has spoken and Tomlin confirmed it at the last presser when he said "Art Rooney is the boss". I'm good with the pick, if anyone is in doubt think Benny Snell. Now I hope Art has a TE in view.

I love this video by SAS.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Running Backs

1. Najee Harris
    2. Benny Snell Jr.
    3. Jaylen Samuels
    4. Anthony McFarland Jr.
    5. Kalen Ballage
    6. Trey Edmunds

Does it really matter? I'm sure camp will/could move those positions around.

Harris had a better YPC than Shaun Alexander and Derrick Henry as well.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Running Backs

1. Najee Harris
    2. Benny Snell Jr.
    3. Jaylen Samuels
    4. Anthony McFarland Jr.
    5. Kalen Ballage
    6. Trey Edmunds

To me Samuels would be the odd man out. I know he is supposed to have third down back skills but he seems to be hidden from everybody - including himself. Edmunds would be out as well I suppose.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Does it really matter? I'm sure camp will/could move those positions around.

Harris had a better YPC than Shaun Alexander and Derrick Henry as well.
    I think so, except for Ballage it's all dead weight.

Running Backs

1. Najee Harris
    2. Benny Snell Jr.
    3. Jaylen Samuels
    4. Anthony McFarland Jr.
    5. Kalen Ballage
    6. Trey Edmunds

When those guys get to camp it will be competition for the 53. A 4th round pick in his 3rd season in Snell and a 4th round pick in his 4th season in Ballage that have both underwhelmed. The only thing is Ballage is bigger, a better receiver and ran a 4.46 40-yd dash, as opposed to Snell 4.66.

I see Harris and McFarland making the team, then Ballage beats out Snell and the 4th spot is between Samuels and Snell for the 53. Derek Watt makes the team at FB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I love this video by SAS.
    Stephen A was pushing hard for Najee before the draft too.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I think so, except for Ballage it's all dead weight.
    So you cut the dead weight and move on. If anyone not named Ballage or Harris is the #3 guy I really don't care.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Harris is your starter... and never comes off of the field.

McFarland is a Canada pick; so, he stays / gets a chance to prove himself.

Everyone else can go!!!

I would draft Demetric Felton (UCLA) in R6. He is a RB who teams want to move to WR. He is a great weapon to have for third downs. Simply, that pick allows us to roster a receiver AND a running back with one player. Plus, we can get rid of every other RB on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Jason La Canfora
    @JasonLaCanfora

Dolphins were trying like heck to get ahead of Steelers at 24 to grab Najee Harris, after passing on him at 18 and moving up and down top 10 before draft. Kinda odd. We'll see if they make a play for Javonte Williams today

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Jason La Canfora
    @JasonLaCanfora

Dolphins were trying like heck to get ahead of Steelers at 24 to grab Najee Harris, after passing on him at 18 and moving up and down top 10 before draft. Kinda odd. We'll see if they make a play for Javonte Williams today

It is called the "Minkah Effect".

Anything involving the Steelers and Dolphins automatically falls the Steelers' way.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Jason La Canfora
    @JasonLaCanfora

Najee never played at the Senior Bowl, but he showed up, did all the interviews and went out, put the pads on and practiced. Even with the ankle injury he was nursing from the National Championship game. And the Dolphins Coaching staff was coaching him. A lot of top RB prospects would not participate, because they have nothing to prove, let alone with an injured ankle.

I knew the Dolphins would want him. Their pass was the Steelers gain.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Hopefully they get a blocking TE also, how many times have our RB’s had nowhere to go because our TE couldn’t stay in front of his man?

https://youtu.be/E_cJVZ5YfUw
    Last edited by Steeler-in-west; 04-30-2021 at 05:55 PM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Running Backs

1. Najee Harris
    2. Benny Snell Jr.
    3. Jaylen Samuels
    4. Anthony McFarland Jr.
    5. Kalen Ballage
    6. Trey Edmunds

Ugh...I just want Snell off the roster...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Watching a lot of Harris’ highlights. I think an appropriate nickname would be Hurdleman! I didn’t realize how often he hurdles guys.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Didn’t expect a TE with the second pick, but it looks like the Steelers were not happy with their TE situation, even Vance made a difference in the running game, the brief times he was in there

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Round 1, No. 24 overall: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

My take: In a draft full of surprises, Harris and the Steelers was a predictable fit. Harris was Pittsburgh's target all along, the team's first first-round running back selection since Rashard Mendenhall in 2008. Many teams considered the 6-foot-2, 230-pound Harris the best tailback in the class, an every down back who absorbs contact, breaks away from defenders -- or hurdles them. The Steelers have plenty of pass-catchers, and in what could be Ben Roethlisberger's final season, he needs a reliable option to take his handoffs.

Much-needed running game help: A team that once punished defenses with the running game sunk to new lows in 2020. Pittsburgh rushed for the fewest yards (1,351) and yards per rush (3.6) in the NFL last season. The Steelers ran by design on 34% of their plays, which ranked 27th in the NFL, and then lost three starters (Alejandro Villanueva, Matt Feiler and Maurkice Pouncey) this offseason. Former Pro Bowler David DeCastro is the only projected starter on the line with more than 20 career starts. But Harris will help the offensive line as an instant producer. The nation's top recruit out of high school, Harris produced 3,843 rushing yards and 46 rushing touchdowns in four seasons at Alabama, along with 80 catches for 781 yards and 11 receiving scores.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...very-selection

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    And this is why Steven Nelson was let go.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You're not wrong...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'm not ready to give up on McFarland just yet. It'd be great if he takes a step forward this season. We could have thunder and lightning with Harris and McFarland.

I really hope they don't over work Harris like they did Bell. We need one of these RBs to step up when called upon. There's no reason Harris should have 25-30 touches a game. That has injury written all over it and the best ability is availability.They ran the wheels off Bell and I hope they learned from that.

It appears that Najee is trying to help everyone out with the pronunciation of his name. He tweeted out (and told reporters) the following:

Na-GEE
    It is not Na-JAY

Apparently, this public service announcement came after some guy in the strip district’s head exploded while trying to say the name.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If Nelson doesn't get signed I offer him a decent contract and the #24 Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I'm not ready to give up on McFarland just yet. It'd be great if he takes a step forward this season. We could have thunder and lightning with Harris and McFarland.

I really hope they don't over work Harris like they did Bell. We need one of these RBs to step up when called upon. There's no reason Harris should have 25-30 touches a game. That has injury written all over it and the best ability is availability.They ran the wheels off Bell and I hope they learned from that.
    They are going to try and cram some carries to McFarland and prove that they were right in drafting him, but I dont see a lot of lateral cut ability from him to get to a seam and get thru it to the 2nd level. He doesnt survive contact often and doesnt make an abrupt cut to hit a hole, but rather seems to not be decisive in finding a hole and when he does pick one he gets taken down on contact, or stops moving his feet. Sure he can run in space, but this is the NFL and not Rutgers he is playing against.

I see McFarland getting some touches, having some mixed success and hanging around in the 2022 season, because Tomlin and Canada aren't willing to believe their guy is better off in the CFL or working at Foot Locker.