Thread: Report: Steelers nearing one-year extension with Mason Rudolph

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Report: Steelers nearing one-year extension with Mason Rudolph

Posted by Charean Williams on April 29, 2021

The Steelers are “absolutely” open to drafting a quarterback with starter Ben Roethlisberger possibly entering his last season.

But they also apparently want to assure Mason Rudolph returns next season.

The Steelers are nearing a one-year extension with Rudolph, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

That will tie Rudolph to the Steelers through 2022. He has a $1 million base salary this season in the final year of his deal.

The team also has Dwayne Haskins and Joshua Dobbs on the roster, but both are signed only through 2021.

Rudolph, 25, is 5-4 in nine career starts with 2,089 career passing yards, 15 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. The Steelers made him a third-round choice in 2018.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mason-rudolph/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Report: Steelers nearing one-year extension with Mason Rudolph

Well, it's better than having no one at all.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

SUPERBOWL

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s a Landry Jones 2.0 situation.

Steelers always love to have someone in that QB room that they are overly comfortable having around. The talent aspect takes a backseat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He actually plays good fresh off the bench and when asked to play in spurts so I like it

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Future backup QB for whichever QB gets drafted this weekend.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Future backup QB for whichever QB gets drafted this weekend.
    I don't think we get serious about finding our new franchise QB until next year.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I don't think we get serious about finding our new franchise QB until next year.
    I posted that a bit tongue in cheek, but don’t be surprised with a 4th round QB pick. Not a prediction but not a surprise either.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s a Landry Jones 2.0 situation.

Steelers always love to have someone in that QB room that they are overly comfortable having around. The talent aspect takes a backseat.
    Ideally you want a starter in waiting, but majority of teams don't have that luxury. Backup QB's that show enough promise to be starting caliber get poached quick. If Mason showed that potential you could bet teams would be knocking at our door to trade for him with offers in excess of 30M+. Then, we would be looking for a new backup lol.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Good decision.

Member Array title="buzz998 is a jewel in the rough">

good deal. and i am curious to see if he has progressed because he surely looked better in the final game of the season against the browns when they needed to win to make the playoffs. i was ready to cast him aside...but maybe not so much so now after that game.

he looked more calm in the pocket, delivered well timed and placed balls for the most part during that game. he didn't look all jumpy and out of sorts like he did the year before.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by buzz998 View Post
    good deal. and i am curious to see if he has progressed because he surely looked better in the final game of the season against the browns when they needed to win to make the playoffs. i was ready to cast him aside...but maybe not so much so now after that game.

he looked more calm in the pocket, delivered well timed and placed balls for the most part during that game. he didn't look all jumpy and out of sorts like he did the year before.
    Rudolph looked better fresh off the bench in 2019 too. He didn't look bad coming off the bench against the Jets, nor against Seattle when he first got in. It's just that the longer you play him consecutively, the worse he gets

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Didn't have a QB under contract for next season. Had to sign one of the four to an extension for 2022. Safest bet with Rudolph. At the very least you know he can be a back-up.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'm happy with that!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Now we just have to see if Haskins has matured

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Why? Seriously why? Do they really see this guy as our future? I guess they just want a guy behind Ben that knows the team. It will be very interesting to see what Haskins does playing and maturing wise. I guess if they extend him it's only a year so he still can be cut but at this point I just don't see the need to do this especially with the huge ? on Haskins.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Why? Seriously why? Do they really see this guy as our future? I guess they just want a guy behind Ben that knows the team. It will be very interesting to see what Haskins does playing and maturing wise. I guess if they extend him it's only a year so he still can be cut but at this point I just don't see the need to do this especially with the huge ? on Haskins.
    You need a backup that knows the offense. Haskins while more talented has to learn the offense and is too much of a risk to already pen as the #2, he could continue his horrible ways in washington. I'm all for giving players a second chance, but in my experience, it's rare for a player to turn it around if they have work ethic related issues, especially at QB.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    You need a backup that knows the offense. Haskins while more talented has to learn the offense and is too much of a risk to already pen as the #2, he could continue his horrible ways in washington. I'm all for giving players a second chance, but in my experience, it's rare for a player to turn it around if they have work ethic related issues, especially at QB.
    Oh I agree but Mason was signed for next year there was no need to do this. Maybe after camp but again I don't see the point in it. I've seen enough of Mason to know he's NOT an NFL starter.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Oh I agree but Mason was signed for next year there was no need to do this. Maybe after camp but again I don't see the point in it. I've seen enough of Mason to know he's NOT an NFL starter.
    They may want some sort of cohesion on the sideline from year to year? Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler