Thread: Marcus Gilbert retires

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Marcus Gilbert retires

Marcus Gilbert retires: Longtime Steelers right tackle was in NFL for 10 seasons

Gilbert finished his career in Arizona but never played for the Cardinals

Bryan DeArdo

Marcus Gilbert, almost 10 years to the day after he was selected in the 2011 NFL Draft, announced his retirement from the NFL.
    The veteran offensive tackle spent his first eight seasons with the Steelers before being traded to the Cardinals during the 2019 offseason. An injury in 2019 and the decision to opt out of the 2020 season led to Gilbert never taking a regular snap during his time in Arizona.
    "I would like to send a special thank you to the Rooney family, Coach Tomlin, Coach Kugler and Kevin Colbert for drafting me in 2011 and giving me the opportunity to live my dream and play for the Pittsburgh Steelers for eight yeas, cheered on by the support of the best fans in the National Football League," Gilbert wrote in his retirement announcement. "Although my tenure with the Arizona Cardinals was short, I cherished my time in the Grand Canyon State. I wish Coach Kingsbury and the Arizona Cardinals best of luck this season."

Read the rest here: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ove-up-for-qb/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Marcus Gilbert retires

Happy retirement. He was a solid OT for his team at his best

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

The Steelers got everything he had out of him. He was done when they traded him.

Great move by the organization and coaching staff.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I thought he was already retired.

Godspeed.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Gilbert was a great RT before he became injured. A very underrated player.

In 2015 the year the Broncos won the Super Bowl and Von Miller won Super Bowl MVP, Miller played across from Gilbert in two games recording 2 tackles and 1 QB hit combined.

Gilbert was an exceptional RT and a big reason the OL was elite for a few seasons.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I don't blame these guys. The NFL is a brutal league and with the money these guys make, if they invest it correctly they will be set for life, why run the risk of limping away from the game in constant pain when you can walk away rich.